'Make it yourself/I'd rather make my own' comments

2»

Comments

• Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    From all the shite about "it's easier, cheaper, tastes better" etc when they're very often chucking out some plain recipe that most certainly ISN'T, I bet you're right.
    A perfect example of my earlier point.
    Sooner or later the thread degenerates into mud throwing and insults about food snobbery and posters being "supercilious".

It's almost not worth mentioning anything you make yourself as someone will see it as "condescending".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I made a curry from scratch last night but it would have certainly been cheaper and easier to go and buy one!:D
    Of course.
    But, like you, I like making curry at home.
    I have three specific curry recipes I use because they really do taste good (when tinkered with) and I enjoy the process of cooking them.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sooner or later the thread degenerates into mud throwing and insults about food snobbery and posters being "supercilious".

It's almost not worth mentioning anything you make yourself as someone will see it as "condescending".

True, that.
    Some people get very defensive when cooking is mentioned and resort to insults.
    Shame really.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Even though it...wasn't actually an example of your earlier point. You were talking about something different and it seems you've latched onto the word "shit" as proof positive of...something. Sorry to disappoint, but I probably cook more meals from scratch than you!
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    I think there are two main types:

Those who are proud and feel a sense of achievement at making something themselves, and just want to share this with people, the same way that you might have a conversation with someone who goes on about (with a huge smile on their face) the fact they bought some wooden planks and made their own garden planter. I think it's good manners to accommodate the enthusiasm of people like this as far as is fair, otherwise you're just raining on their parade. Everyone has the right to feel good about themselves.

Then there are the more pious kind, who feel frustrated at other people taking 'lazy options' for the things they do 'properly'. This may well start off with something valid, such as people who buy bags of green beans that have the ends already chopped off rather than chop off their own. But I think that over time, their experience grows and the things they take for granted (and get an enormous sense of achievement and satisfaction out of) are things that other people still find daunting - just like they used to.

They may see it as simple to mix your own pizza base, create a topping in a blender and then wait a few hours for it to rise properly, but this blinds them to other people seeing equal value in being able to open a cardboard box and have a cooked pizza on their lap 15 minutes later. These types can get carried away with their own magnificence, and start being pious toward 'lesser' people. It's that blindness that triggers a knee-jerk snide whack of the reply button when someone specifically asks for recommendations for frozen pizzas. Confronting them about this doesn't help because it just makes them even more resolute and pious.

I think the best thing to do when someone inappropriately says "I make my own" is to simply ignore them. No replies, no snide comments, no logical arguments. Just skip past them and get straight back to the topic of the thread.

It's not a million miles away from new parents who drone on about babies online and in real life, as though they're the first people ever to have a baby.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Here we go again.
    The point the OP is trying to make is that it's when a thread is discussing ready meals/takeaway/fastfood etc. that it gets derailed by posters jumping in and telling them it's cheaper and easier to make it from scratch.

Now this thread is going on about cooking from scratch and making your own.

There are perfectly good threads for discussing recipies to cook and make yourself, what cuts of meat, what different herbs and spices you would use.

If it was a general thread about chips and what you prefer then some may say McCain, some may say chippy chips, some may say three times fried in dripping and everyone can have a discussion about it.

A thread about which frozen chips you think are best is probably not the place to butt in with unneeded comments about making your own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oof!
    Some people go on the defensive/offensive at the drop of a crouton, don't they.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the best thing to do when someone inappropriately says "I make my own" is to simply ignore them. No replies, no snide comments, no logical arguments. Just skip past them and get straight back to the topic of the thread.

Absolutely.
  • Options
    abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there are two main types:

Those who are proud and feel a sense of achievement at making something themselves, and just want to share this with people, the same way that you might have a conversation with someone who goes on about (with a huge smile on their face) the fact they bought some wooden planks and made their own garden planter. I think it's good manners to accommodate the enthusiasm of people like this as far as is fair, otherwise you're just raining on their parade. Everyone has the right to feel good about themselves.

Then there are the more pious kind, who feel frustrated at other people taking 'lazy options' for the things they do 'properly'. This may well start off with something valid, such as people who buy bags of green beans that have the ends already chopped off rather than chop off their own. But I think that over time, their experience grows and the things they take for granted (and get an enormous sense of achievement and satisfaction out of) are things that other people still find daunting - just like they used to.

They may see it as simple to mix your own pizza base, create a topping in a blender and then wait a few hours for it to rise properly, but this blinds them to other people seeing equal value in being able to open a cardboard box and have a cooked pizza on their lap 15 minutes later. These types can get carried away with their own magnificence, and start being pious toward 'lesser' people. It's that blindness that triggers a knee-jerk snide whack of the reply button when someone specifically asks for recommendations for frozen pizzas. Confronting them about this doesn't help because it just makes them even more resolute and pious.

It's not a million miles away from new parents who drone on about babies online and in real life, as though they're the first people ever to have a baby.

Great post, although a little measured and sensible for DS. Are you sure you're on the right forum? ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Here we go again.
    The point the OP is trying to make is that it's when a thread is discussing ready meals/takeaway/fastfood etc. that it gets derailed by posters jumping in and telling them it's cheaper and easier to make it from scratch.

Now this thread is going on about cooking from scratch and making your own.
    BiB
    Because the thread is titled:
    "Makeit yourself/I'd rather make my own' comments"
    It's reasonable therefore to discuss the reasons people make those comments and when they may be appropriate or inappropriate.
    You're now suggesting that's derailing the thread??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to disappoint, but I probably cook more meals from scratch than you!
    Well done you Tony, keep it up.

Of course your earlier remarks were in support of this post.
    "I bet at least half the people who go on about making their own never do."
    :D
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes saying it once in a relevant thread is "going on" about it. I credit you with enough intelligence to understand the distinction, which is why your teasing rings very hollow.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Sometimes "make your own" is the best option.

Meals generally fall into 4 camps:

1. Making your own is cheaper, tastier and just as easy as store bought. (e,g pasta sauce)

2. Making your own is cheaper and tastier than store bought, but more effort. (e.g chips)

3. Making your own is tastier, but more expensive and more effort. (e.g curry)

4. Making your own is difficult and lots of effort.. (e.g steak and kidney Pie)

If the meal in question is in camp 1 (or possibly 2) then i don't think there's anything wrong with recommending people "make their own"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon people are over-thinking it.
    Threads are like conversations. People say/write stuff to do with the topic. Nothing strange or judgemental in that at all. Some folks can roll with the flow, others take umbrage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes saying it once in a relevant thread is "going on" about it. I credit you with enough intelligence to understand the distinction, which is why your teasing rings very hollow.
    My teasing ring's very hollow! :o

At least I made it myself (from scratch) :cool: