Delay For BE/o2 Fibre Plans

Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It's been reported it won't be untill 2013 that BE/o2 will have superfast broadband so not good news for customers. http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2012/04/uk-isp-be-broadband-and-o2-delay-launch-of-superfast-broadband-to-2013.html

Comments

• BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Ray266 wrote: »
    It's been reported it won't be untill 2013 that BE/o2 will have superfast broadband so not good news for customers. http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2012/04/uk-isp-be-broadband-and-o2-delay-launch-of-superfast-broadband-to-2013.html
    The source of this story from the Be blog pages!

http://blog.bethere.co.uk/2012/04/update-on-fibre.html

I believe Be have previously said that they could not get an affordable end-user product out of what Openreach were charging for FTTC access!
  • Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    The source of this story from the Be blog pages!

http://blog.bethere.co.uk/2012/04/update-on-fibre.html

I believe Be have previously said that they could not get an affordable end-user product out of what Openreach were charging for FTTC access!

I got from the above I don't bother with Blogs, I can see BE/o2will be left behind as most people want faster speeds.
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I already left BE 9 days ago, I would have like to say with them but no Fibre option was a deal breaker.
    Forum Member
    anniebrion wrote: »
    I already left BE 9 days ago, I would have like to say with them but no Fibre option was a deal breaker.
    I was happily with them for 2 years but, even without fibre, Sky matched their unlimited offering at MUCH less cost!
  • JordanT91JordanT91 Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be staying with Be because my exchange is not planned to have Fibre for the next few years at least.
  • Barb E DahlBarb E Dahl Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    JordanT91 wrote: »
    I'll be staying with Be because my exchange is not planned to have Fibre for the next few years at least.

How can you find out when one's exchange will be 'eligible' for FTTC?
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can you find out when one's exchange will be 'eligible' for FTTC?

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/index.php will tell you, click on UK Broadband Availabilty, then Broadband Checker, whack in your phone number and postocde, will let you know if its available, or give you an estimated date of when. :)

Said i was due 30th June the other week, but checking yesterday, its now available, so i may take Skys (as just started doing the Fibre), as its only £20 a month for totally unlimited, non managed, so full speeds all the time, whatever your doing, with the line rental (£12.50 i think), it works out at about £6 more than im paying now for my O2 (the old Standard package), and the checker rekons ill get about 37mb, as the cabinets just along the road :D
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's about time we got fibre to be honest. Why sign up with a service that's way inferior to quite a few other ISPs? BE's being overtaken by Sky, BT, Talk Talk.....and probably others as well. It's about time we caught up with these fibre ISPs. I could still download a truckful amount even without fibre, but it would be nice to get it faster though. :D
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    http://www.samknows.com/broadband/index.php will tell you, click on UK Broadband Availabilty, then Broadband Checker, whack in your phone number and postocde, will let you know if its available, or give you an estimated date of when. :) ...
    I'm confused. According to that website FTTC is available in my area from my BT exchange...but according to BT my exchange hasn't been enabled yet, and there are no plans to do so!

I also checked with a mate's phone number who also cannot get Infinity. Samknows also said it was available in his area, but it isn't.

Where does samknows get it's info from?

To check with BT go here:- http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=29017
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd rather stay with Be and my 17mb download for £18 per month and no contract than pay BT £26 a month with a contract and blockades, Be truly are unlimited :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    azimo wrote: »
    I'd rather stay with Be and my 17mb download for £18 per month and no contract than pay BT £26 a month with a contract and blockades, Be truly are unlimited :D

Ah yeah, I think BE are great. It's just that it would be nice to have a fibre connection. This is because of slight impatience when downloading, yes.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zenith wrote: »
    I'm confused. According to that website FTTC is available in my area from my BT exchange...but according to BT my exchange hasn't been enabled yet, and there are no plans to do so!

I also checked with a mate's phone number who also cannot get Infinity. Samknows also said it was available in his area, but it isn't.

To check with BT go here:- http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=29017

SamKnows gets its info from BT as far as i know, and it may be saying FTTC is available at the exchange, but it also says only in certain areas, which i think has something do to with the cabinets, so if your cabinets not done, then you can't get it till it is, but im not 100% on that :)
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Here you go
    http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/BT-Infinity-has-reached-my-area-but-the-line-checker-says-I-can/td-p/150021
    Your phone line may be connected directly to the telephone exchange and not to a local street cabinet.
    Your line may be too far from the local street cabinet to have a stable BT Infinity service.
    Your local street cabinet may not be suitable for fibre optic cables.
    We haven't yet got the council's planning permission to do the necessary work at your local street cabinet.
  • madnesmadnes Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was an O2 LLU customer for over 3 years. The sevice was great but towards then end of my custom they changed and went like most other ISP.

I believe O2 ruined themselves when would not offer retention packages on Legacy. I switched to the basic and regretted it!

I asked about FTTC there response was they were trialing it in London only. I switched to TalkTalk as they were able to offer FTTC.
  • 555555 Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad I jumped ship from them a while back. Seems like their customers are leaving in droves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    555 wrote: »
    Glad I jumped ship from them a while back. Seems like their customers are leaving in droves.

What makes you think that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    SamKnows gets its info from BT as far as i know, and it may be saying FTTC is available at the exchange, but it also says only in certain areas, which i think has something do to with the cabinets, so if your cabinets not done, then you can't get it till it is, but im not 100% on that :)
    Thanks for the info, but the BT website also has a link to check which exchanges have been upgraded. Dagenham & Goodmayes are not on there, and there are no plans to upgrade them this year.

EDIT...OK so it seems that BT doesn't know that Barnet, Havering, Redbridge, & Barking and Dagenham are in Greater London, even though the map they use clearly show that they are :rolleyes:

I found my exchange under "The East" heading. Perhaps they need a few geography lessons!
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info, but the BT website also has a link to check which exchanges have been upgraded. Dagenham & Goodmayes are not on there, and there are no plans to upgrade them this year.
    "Exchanges" don't tell you all you need to know for FTTC!

On my Exchnages the build-out to cabinets took about 9 months!
  • mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »
    "Exchanges" don't tell you all you need to know for FTTC!

On my Exchnages the build-out to cabinets took about 9 months!

Indeed, my exchange is now FTTC enabled but from speaking to friends and family on the same exchange it's clear there are many streets where work is still required.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    I have just left BE for BT Infinity. Have been with BE for some years years now the last few months the service has gone right downhill.

BE must be loosing customers by the masses and really don't think they will BE around much longer. Such a shame as they were so good when they first started. From a leader to now um nothing...
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

EDIT...OK so it seems that BT doesn't know that Barnet, Havering, Redbridge, & Barking and Dagenham are in Greater London, even though the map they use clearly show that they are :rolleyes:

I found my exchange under "The East" heading. Perhaps they need a few geography lessons!

I thought my post quoted the difference between an exchange and a cabinet. It clearly didn't. :rolleyes:

Also BT only have the info OpenReach give them, they aren't the same company. :rolleyes:
  • WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also BT only have the info OpenReach give them, they aren't the same company. :rolleyes:

I prefer to think of them as two departments of the same unprofessional, incompetent and deeply cynical company. These departments are united with the business model "Get back to monopoly by any means necessary".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought my post quoted the difference between an exchange and a cabinet. It clearly didn't. :rolleyes:...
    Why the sarcasm? Of course I know the difference between an exchange & cabinet. The confusion arose because, as I stated in the quote, BT hadn't listed my exchange as being upgraded, yet samknows said that FTTC was available in some parts of my area. How could it be when the exchange had not been upgraded?

It was only when I checked to see if Southend exchanges had been upgraded, that I noticed that my exchange had been listed under the wrong map.

I understand that if an exchange is upgraded, then it takes time to install cabinets across the whole of it's service area.
  • SamDudeSamDude Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    on air wrote: »
    I have just left BE for BT Infinity. Have been with BE for some years years now the last few months the service has gone right downhill.

BE must be loosing customers by the masses and really don't think they will BE around much longer. Such a shame as they were so good when they first started. From a leader to now um nothing...

Snap, I signed up with Be when they launched in 2005.

Requested my MAC yesterday and getting BT Infinity installed in 3 weeks time.

I'll keep my eye on Be and maybe go back after the 18 months, provided they have a good fibre product available by then.

Sam
  • wod1wod1 Posts: 6,152
    Forum Member
    I'm prefectly happy staying with Be even if they wont have a fttc product out for a while, connection speeds etc are all fine for me, so theres no need for me to jump ship.

I'd rather not go back to BT after the hassle i had with them.