Options

Mac OS X Mavericks Thread

Comments

• Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    'Free' might make it even more important to wait a month or so.

Why's that?
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iMac and MBP (both getting on for couple of years old) installed fine without any hitch. Took ages for my iMac to migrate my massive book library over to iBooks though.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why's that?
    Sounds more than a patch release and Apple are unusually keen for you to have it.
    I think the same for all OS releases anyway. Windows 8 would have been a heck of a hoot if it had been a free upgrade from Windows 7.
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Installed on my 2007 iMac with no issues.
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ditto
    Though can't see much difference over ML at moment
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Microkorg wrote: »
    Ditto
    Though can't see much difference over ML at moment

Yeah at this point I would like to see them do a new OS, OSX is just getting a bit old now.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I updated my iMac earlier this evening.

I've not noticed much different so far.

I'm not bothered about having iBooks - I can't see myself using my desktop to read books.

iCloud Keychain... Meh. I have two main reasons I won't use this:

- It would mean using Safari, and I hate Safari.

- I have no intention of storing my passwords and other critical and sensitive information in the cloud.

I'll stick with 1Password... More features, plus I know what the security is, plus I can sync it without using the internet.
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just noticed that I now have a link in my iOS Developer account to get a free download of OS X Server.
  • Options
    ErlangErlang Posts: 6,619
    Forum Member
    Anyone notice Thunderbolt Bridge in System Preferences?
  • Options
    The RatThe Rat Posts: 6,048
    Forum Member
    Ars review is out there now: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/10/os-x-10-9/

Dave
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    I've been using the beta for ages. You're not 'forced' into using the cloud services. However if she has 4 Macs it makes sense to use it as it will make it far easier to keep things in sync between her different machines.

From what I have been reading it is not a major update, just a few tweaks. the main thing i think for my friend is the tweaks given to multi monitor use. the problem is she uses her Mac Pro for her work and if the updates muck it up, she is stuffed.

I don't think she even have a apple ID. the pro is not connected to the net unless it needs to be, the Imac is and the net books are.

I was hoping that Apple would have seen how over priced their products is and put the price down a lot, but they only knocked a few quid off.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    From what I have been reading it is not a major update, just a few tweaks. the main thing i think for my friend is the tweaks given to multi monitor use. the problem is she uses her Mac Pro for her work and if the updates muck it up, she is stuffed.

I don't think she even have a apple ID. the pro is not connected to the net unless it needs to be, the Imac is and the net books are.

I was hoping that Apple would have seen how over priced their products is and put the price down a lot, but they only knocked a few quid off.
    Sadly, there is more chance of hell freezing over then massive price cuts from Apple :D
  • Options
    ErlangErlang Posts: 6,619
    Forum Member

I was hoping that Apple would have seen how over priced their products is and put the price down a lot, but they only knocked a few quid off

I never quite get why people expect that.
    I buy some stuff knowing full well it is more expensive than other brands, and on balance I'm happy with the VfM I'm getting. Other items I buy from the cheapest supplier possible and again I get what I expect.

I don't buy cars much above the basic types, as I don't feel VfM for cars like Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Aston Martin etc, but I wouldn't expect those to lower their prices.

Take a look at the new Mac Pro assembly video and tell me that's how all desktop computers are made.

http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/video/
  • Options
    QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They are not over priced if you actually look at them in detail.

Look at the Mac Book Pro spec, and then try say using Dells website configure a laptop to the same spec and it comes out around the same price.

Things like Samsungs ultrabook cost the same as an Apple Mac Book Air.

Apple don't do the low end spec stuff, expensive yes, overpriced no, they just don't cater for the lower end of the market.

Whilst the i3 or even the Pentium Pro laptops that other manufactures chuck out for £300/£350 are more than adequate for most tasks, they just don't make them, i5 is as low as your going to get from Apple, they only do top end.

The advantage of this i saw last month when my work friend bought a 2006 Mac Book Pro off ebay for £200. So its 7 years old but it runs great, and its nippy, because it was over spec'd at the time, pay a bit more and you get a very long life out of the device.
  • Options
    Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I downloaded it and created a boot stick using Uniboot, but i won't be installing it as a main OS until 10.9.2 (i may bung it on a spare HDD at the weekend just to play).

I did install it into a Virtualbox virtual machine, and then installed the old iLife and iWork versions i had on disc, so that i'd get the free upgrades added to my Apple ID and could just download them from the App Store when i finally upgrade my main machine. Worked like a charm, and the new versions now appear as purchased items in my App Store account.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quackers wrote: »
    They are not over priced if you actually look at them in detail.

Look at the Mac Book Pro spec, and then try say using Dells website configure a laptop to the same spec and it comes out around the same price.

Are you serious?

Lets compare with the new Lenovo IdeaPad RRP (even though you can often get massive savings on Lenovo) to the 15 inch MacBook Pro

For £999.99 you can get a Lenovo Y510p so lets compare that:

Lenovo Y510p
    Processor: Intel Core i7-4700MQ (2.4GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
    Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GT 755M 2GB
    Memory: 16GB 1600MHz
    Display: 1920x1080
    Storage: 1TB 5400rpm HDD + 8GB SSD cache
    Optical: Blu-ray/DVD-RW
    Weight: 2.7 KG
    Battery: 5 Hours
    Price: £999.99 (RRP)

Apple MacBook Pro
    Processor: Intel Core i7-4750HQ (2.0GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
    Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 5200
    Memory: 8GB 1600MHz
    Display: 2880x1800
    Storage: 256GB PCIe SSD
    Optical: N/A
    Weight: 2.02 KG
    Battery: 8 Hours
    Price: £1699.99 (RRP)

Both have different advantages and disadvantages, the Lenovo is heavier with worse battery life and screen resolution and no SSD but it does have a faster processor, more memory, a dedicated graphics with 2GB RAM and a BD drive (Not to mention that it's very upgradable).

Does it really look to you that on paper the Apple MacBook Pro is worth an extra £700? I could replace the HDD with a 1TB Samsung SSD and still have change left over!
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Quackers wrote: »
    The advantage of this i saw last month when my work friend bought a 2006 Mac Book Pro off ebay for £200. So its 7 years old but it runs great, and its nippy, because it was over spec'd at the time, pay a bit more and you get a very long life out of the device.

I always said that Macs last longer than PCs. I have a 2010 Macbook Pro which runs Snow Leopard and Windows 7 (dual boot). The machine is still working as well as it was when I bought it. It cost me £1249 but it was worth it. It even runs Windows better than a PC :p A three year old Windows PC on the other hand would probably be really slow or close to snuffing it by now. I have an XP desktop from 2003 and that thing is slower than a slug doing the London Marathon. My dad had an Acer laptop from 2010 and it snuffed it completely after 2 years.
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Shut up and take my money [/] futurama.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I have noticed is that many high end laptops have gone up in price as sales have declined.
    Yet is the Pro really worth near 7 Asus X401A laptops, probably made in the very same factory?

Apple had a £2000 17" Macbook Pro. At £2000 it seems no one ever bought it so it got discontinued.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always said that Macs last longer than PCs. I have a 2010 Macbook Pro which runs Snow Leopard and Windows 7 (dual boot). The machine is still working as well as it was when I bought it. It cost me £1249 but it was worth it. It even runs Windows better than a PC :p A three year old Windows PC on the other hand would probably be really slow or close to snuffing it by now. I have an XP desktop from 2003 and that thing is slower than a slug doing the London Marathon. My dad had an Acer laptop from 2010 and it snuffed it completely after 2 years.

I have a 5 year old laptop, it was not that expensive when I got it, but it still runs fine and if i put windows back on it will still work as fast now as it did then. the only thing I did have to add was more memory. I also have have a 4 year old or it could be older desktop, again it works well, running windows XP at the moment, again it was not top of the range when I got it, but it will do everything most people will use it for.

So two machines getting on, none of them snuffing it.

I know that Macs can last for years, but I still don't think the price is worth it to be honest. I like Macs and did think about going over to one before I got this machine, but the higher price put me off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erlang wrote: »
    I never quite get why people expect that.
    I buy some stuff knowing full well it is more expensive than other brands, and on balance I'm happy with the VfM I'm getting. Other items I buy from the cheapest supplier possible and again I get what I expect.

I don't buy cars much above the basic types, as I don't feel VfM for cars like Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Aston Martin etc, but I wouldn't expect those to lower their prices.

Take a look at the new Mac Pro assembly video and tell me that's how all desktop computers are made.

http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/video/

Nothing new to be honest, sure the Mac pro case is a bit strange so no doubt they had to use a different way of producing it, but all the electronics are made the same way in any computer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

2010? thats virtually new!

I have 2 x 2007 iMacs in the house that I have upgraded to Mavericks and they are still strong even though they are only 2.8GHz C2Ds.

Having said that, I was interested in replacing mine with a Mac Mini but Apple didn't feel the need to upgrade it...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing new to be honest, sure the Mac pro case is a bit strange so no doubt they had to use a different way of producing it, but all the electronics are made the same way in any computer.

The same way yes but the quality of the components used vary greatly, usually dependant on cost.
  • Options
    big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Rat wrote: »
    Ars review is out there now: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/10/os-x-10-9/

Dave

Siracusa really is awesome.`
  • Options
    12december198412december1984 Posts: 1,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is anyone else experiencing issues with Digital Spy's forums and Safari?

If I click "back" or scroll back to the previous page it sticks, but other websites so far seem fine.