iCloud problem on iPad

JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
Forum Member
I have an iPad that is linked to an old Apple ID that was hacked. The password cannot be recovered and the security question answer no longer allows access.

Is there any way of restoring the iPad to factory settings without the password, or even just adding a new iCloud account and just stop using the old one?

I know this safeguard is probably in place to stop people from stealing iPads and using them as their own, but in a situation where the user genuinely has a compromised Apple ID/iCloud account, is there no fail safe?

Thanks

Comments

• alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "is there no fail safe?"

Yes,

visit an Apple store c/w some ID.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I assume it's on iOS7 then because of the password requirement for wiping it?

Have you tried phoning Apple to get the password reset?

Assuming you do get it sorted, via the Apple Store as Alan suggested or via phoning, I hope you make sure that the current Apple ID has a unique password and that you have enabled 2-step verification on it.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously there is a reset option in settings. You can also try delete account in settings.
    I took mine into the store and they made a phone appointment for me. I explained to him that those options didn't work. He didn't believe me, and said that he had totally and utterly deleted the old ID of mine.

The old ID returned about ten minutes after the end of the call. It is still there, being a nuisance.

I think there are at least two snags causing it. Firstly, the old apps are still recalling the old user ID when they update. I am going to try deleting them and reinstalling, but the new op system will not let me delete them - I will find how to get round that soon. Second, ITunes seems to put the old user name back in when I connect my PC and Ipad.

So as well as deleting older apps, I will also remove ITunes from the PC. Obviously I can only do these things because I have not got much on it.

I reckon Apple have got sloppy since their boss went.
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    I'd go into an Applestore and ask to see someone experienced. I had someone at one of their stores 'delete' my Apple ID, not just change the password. Apple don't allow merging of 2 Apple IDs, and as my first one was compromised, I lost all my music in iTunes linked to that ID.
    I raised a complaint but ran out of gas with it, as was getting nowhere.
    Be careful. Get it all in writing from Apple support.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did the things I said, (removed iTunes, deleted all old apps) removed account, reset to factory settings. After going into shop and having phone support from Apple. It seemed OK for a few minutes, but then suddenly the old ID was back again, out of a thing called game center. Their spelling.

Say what you like, Microsoft update Windows, and loads of software, quite often and it all happens like clockwork. Still, Apple are the biggest company in the world so who am I to comment.
  • Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    I did the things I said, (removed iTunes, deleted all old apps) removed account, reset to factory settings. After going into shop and having phone support from Apple. It seemed OK for a few minutes, but then suddenly the old ID was back again, out of a thing called game center. Their spelling.

Say what you like, Microsoft update Windows, and loads of software, quite often and it all happens like clockwork. Still, Apple are the biggest company in the world so who am I to comment.

Are you trying to say Microsoft are better at their 'clockwork' updating? They only do that to plug security holes and other bugs! Apple's Activation Lock may not be perfect, but it stops a street thief from being able to make a quick profit on an iOS 7 device they've grabbed. Have you tried a DFU restore and after that, signing in with your current Apple ID?