The Walking Dead - Season 4 - 5* pace

DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The new season (well, new to those of us who don't have Fox TV) starts tonight at 22.00 on 5* with a double-header.

Comments

• Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this. Thanks for starting this thread.
  • batesy2000batesy2000 Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst I'm happy it's on. Once again I'm going to have to be prepared for Channel 5 to completely mess up the scheduling and treat the show with no respect just like the mess we had last season. Why can't a decent channel have it?
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Episode 14 of this season is just brilliant, might have to rewatch though before season 5
  • cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes at long last we can watch our zombie friends on freeview starting tonight (9th Aug) at 10pm on 5* starting with a double bill.

There is a thread about this in Cult but I never go in there so there's probably others that will be glad to spot this in US Shows
  • Chas1989Chas1989 Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to this too. Have heard Season 4 is good so hope it lives up to it.
  • peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    Damn, I was just coming to say the same thing. So, 5* changed their minds about showing it, better late than never. And I get to watch the series free of the distracting subtitles that came when I downloaded it. :D
  • simongvs70simongvs70 Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it get repeated later in the week?
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simongvs70 wrote: »
    Does it get repeated later in the week?

I don't think so - the next episodes will be on 16 August at 10 pm and 11 pm.

For those of us who are still catching up on watching the repeat of Season 3, they are on 11 August on 5USA at 1 am.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those wanting to watch in HD, Channel 5 have been uploading it in HD to Catch Up on Sky On Demand
  • CharentonCharenton Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    batesy2000 wrote: »
    Whilst I'm happy it's on. Once again I'm going to have to be prepared for Channel 5 to completely mess up the scheduling and treat the show with no respect just like the mess we had last season. Why can't a decent channel have it?
    Damn, I was just coming to say the same thing. So, 5* changed their minds about showing it, better late than never. And I get to watch the series free of the distracting subtitles that came when I downloaded it.

Just like Longmire, New Law & Order & Chicago PD, these programmes are being shown on 5USA/5* for one reason only according to the answer I got when I asked why these programmes hadn't got subtitles. They come without subtitles and Ch5 can't afford to add them. 5USA & 5* have lower targets for subtitles monitored by OFCOM so Ch5 put them on these minor channels.

That suggests to me Ch5 don't give a stuff about viewers who are deaf or hard of hearing.

Subtitles are not a distraction to the deaf or hard of hearing, they're a godsend without which they couldn't watch the programmes. Even with a hearing aid some of dialogue is impossible to understand.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Charenton wrote: »
    Just like Longmire, New Law & Order & Chicago PD, these programmes are being shown on 5USA/5* for one reason only according to the answer I got when I asked why these programmes hadn't got subtitles. They come without subtitles and Ch5 can't afford to add them. 5USA & 5* have lower targets for subtitles monitored by OFCOM so Ch5 put them on these minor channels.

That suggests to me Ch5 don't give a stuff about viewers who are deaf or hard of hearing.

Subtitles are not a distraction to the deaf or hard of hearing, they're a godsend without which they couldn't watch the programmes. Even with a hearing aid some of dialogue is impossible to understand.

I find it odd that the producers aren't obligated to provide subtitles for the shows and it's left to the broadcasters. Is it something to do with the different broadcasters using different technologies to transmit the subtitles maybe? You do find them on DVDs of shows after all.
  • CharentonCharenton Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    I find it odd that the producers aren't obligated to provide subtitles for the shows and it's left to the broadcasters. Is it something to do with the different broadcasters using different technologies to transmit the subtitles maybe? You do find them on DVDs of shows after all.

This is what Ch 5 actually said:-

"Unfortunately, Series 4 of The Walking Dead will not be broadcast on 5* with subtitles. As we have previously explained, the reason that not all programmes and films are subtitled on this channel and 5 USA is neither technical nor editorial, it is a matter of regulation and cost and the subtitling quotas for these channels being lower than Channel 5. The quota for the amount of subtitled programming on both 5* and 5 USA will increase to 80% over the next few years, which will bring it into line with the quota for Channel 5".

Basically they're saying OFCOM isn't too bothered about programmes being shown on the minor channels without subtitles.

Perhaps if they spent less on rubbish such as Big Brother they could afford it. No doubt that's subtitled.
    Forum Member
    ocav wrote: »
    For those wanting to watch in HD, Channel 5 have been uploading it in HD to Catch Up on Sky On Demand

Noticed this while looking at On Demand this morning. So i downloaded and watched the HD versions instead. Hope this continues for the whole season.

Opening two episodes were good in my opinion.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Chas1989 wrote: »
    Noticed this while looking at On Demand this morning. So i downloaded and watched the HD versions instead. Hope this continues for the whole season.

Opening two episodes were good in my opinion.

It was a very good opener. The supermarket set up and the disease outbreak we both handled very well. It really shows that a world where people come back after death is never going to be a safe one, no matter how much you try.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least the walkers obey the standard rules drag yourself along and moan at lot no superfast wall climbers and no thinkers. I always hated the day of the dead remakes because the walkers are running everywhere and climbing walls.

I think it's much more terrible to see a herd of these things shambling forward because you know they won't stop unless you've got a hell of a lot of ammo.

I do like how the writers include 'real world' issues the disease outbreak would be a real problem after sometime with the number of rotting bodies, lack of real hygine and close living quarters this. This happens in refugee camps etc. so it add a realism to the series plus another problem.

As we all know character dies wakes up and eats someone. Is it just me or shouldn't they have bungee cords to secure the cell doors as they all know if you die you come back or am I just nit picking.

What's really worrying in the children not being scared of the walkers just because no one has being eaten in a while, now that sort of complacence never ends well.

Plus and this is big worry for anyone who noticed who the hell is feeding the walkers rats! No wonder they are crowding and herding together round parts of the fences.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charenton wrote: »
    That suggests to me Ch5 don't give a stuff about viewers

I shortened your sentence for accuracy!

Started a thread about 5*`s appalling presentation of these eps in Broadcast.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As with some other posters I used a PVR and watched the show the next day as it gets round Channel 5's poor timing on ad breaks and the sheer number they pack in.

I know they need to make money but you have to balance what will keep viewers interested and their current approach can be a real pain.

Plus when season 3 ended they confirmed they had no interest in season four due to low viewing numbers which like with Archer was down to them shoving the show in stupid poorly signposted late night slots and not giving promo ads to give viewers an heads up on where the show could be found.

Ah well maybe the new owners will pull things together.

And that reminds me has anyone heard if production company for Walking Dead are still going ahead with their spin off show or has that disappeared like the Governor?
  • innes_calaninnes_calan Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    Didn't even know it was on 5*, last I heard it was drooped by five for season four and Diginet five had a contract to show it, haven't seen any adverts for this, Dam! I have missed the first 2 episodes, I'm not a happy chappy!
    Annoyed! I was on this forum last week and not an inkling! I was planning to wait until the DVD came out and was counting down the days, I take to cut costs they didn't advertise it!
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't even know it was on 5*, last I heard it was drooped by five for season four and Diginet five had a contract to show it, haven't seen any adverts for this, Dam! I have missed the first 2 episodes, I'm not a happy chappy!
    Annoyed! I was on this forum last week and not an inkling! I was planning to wait until the DVD came out and was counting down the days, I take to cut costs they didn't advertise it!

I suspect you`re not alone in having the same experience. It`s unbelievable that they would say they weren`t buying it and then do so with little fanfare or warning. Incompetence doesn`t even begin to cover it!

Their shitty Demand5 service will have the eps you missed.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope you all enjoy season 4. Season 4 was a terrific season. At times, rather sad and heartbreaking. But when it delivers it's action and twists, you will not be let down and you will be gripped.
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,889
    Forum Member

It was advertised quite a lot, but in breaks in Big Brother and also in breaks for the Season 3 re-runs on 5Usa. Guess if you don't watch those ,maybe that's why you missed them. I agree that 5 treat TWD disgracefully though- season 3 is still not finished on 5Usa- what a mess :(.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope you all enjoy season 4. Season 4 was a terrific season. At times, rather sad and heartbreaking. But when it delivers it's action and twists, you will not be let down and you will be gripped.

I think I know which episode you are on about here
  • Stone FreeStone Free Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    I suspect you`re not alone in having the same experience. It`s unbelievable that they would say they weren`t buying it and then do so with little fanfare or warning. Incompetence doesn`t even begin to cover it!

Their shitty Demand5 service will have the eps you missed.
    But at least it is not as shitty as their treatment of Justified, where they have dropped it just before the last ever series became available. Surely buying one last season couldn't have cost that much.
    Forum Member
    Another two good episodes last night. Enjoying the character development of Carol and Tyreese in those two eps.
  • doublefourdoublefour Posts: 6,018
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed the first couple of episodes, both were great scene setters and had intrigue and were fully entertaining.
    Episodes three and four were of the slower paced kind, even so I thought they felt a little flat at times outside of the bigger moments with Rick and Carol. However, they still had some good parts.
    I'm encouraged by Michonne's development particularly with Daryl. Which considering she is what he used to be as a group outsider, makes their passages together relevant and interesting to watch.
    The other part I really liked was the scene when Daryl slams on the brakes and the camera pans ahead to the hundreds of walkers up ahead. A real perilous moment, and continues to re-establish the walkers in this series as the threat they are. After they understandably took a step back with all the Governor and Woodbury conflict of the last series.
    I do like the "out on a run" episodes, particularly that there were two separate groups. The scenes escaping the walkers in the college were good, but obviously the end with Rick and Carol still took me by surprise in the end. Can't wait until the next two episodes, it's shaping up to be another great series.