Meet The Mormons Channel 4 10pm tonight

Comments

• EveT1991EveT1991 Posts: 12,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    louise1966 wrote: »
    Mormon Girl, I totally respect anyone who defends their beliefs; I am exactly the same with politics. I did state in my post, that they are allowed one letter per week - big deal. This is limiting the contact they have with their families to a minimum, and not even physical. If they are not allowed to use the internet, why are they permitted to skype and send and receive emails? This would require an email connection, so someone is feeding us false information. Just imagine being able to speak to one's nearest and dearest twice a year! And here is me thinking this was one of the many sacrifices they had to make!
    I have no problem with anyone being a mormon, a witness, a christian or an atheist. My viewpoint in life is, as long as what we are doing is neither immoral, nor illegal, we ought to be entitled to do it. Personally, mormonism is not for me, it is a controlling organised - I am loathe to call it a religion, more of a cult - which assumes all responsibility for each of it's member's life. It is a domineering dictatorship, and when people enlist, their life is no longer their own. Obviously, if people become members fully cognisant of the way it operates, it's principles and expectations, then that is their choice, and they do so willingly.

BIB. It is a religion and it defiantly is not a cult
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    BIB. It is a religion and it defiantly is not a cult

Seems like a haven for homosexual activities from my observations of last night's programme. All those men and women being confined together. Much like our single sex prisons and schools.
  • LoolabelleLoolabelle Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although it is supposedly not compulsory for Mormons to undertake a mission, it is often extremely frowned upon if a male does not 'volunteer'. It's not uncommon for some families to actively discourage or even forbid friendships/prospective marriages between their daughters and a boy who hasn't served his mission, or has no intention of doing so in the future. Consequently there is likely to be a certain amount of shame attached to having a son within the family who refuses to volunteer. Therefore, whilst there may be plenty of young men who are happy and willing to go off and serve their two years, there are quite possibly many who go because they feel they have no choice. Unfortunately I got the impression that Elder Field fell into the latter category.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The key word is VOLUNTEER
    I am a Mormon. I did NOT serve a Mission. Many do, some of us do not. It is choice.
    As for Cult, 2,000 years ago a cult started in Jewish communities after a man died. claiming he was the Messiah and adapting the name Christian, follower of Christ.

Many churches do not approve of Masterbation.
    They also say no sex before marriage.
    My point is...which you missed...why would they expect missionaries who were spreading the word and giving their life for the cause and doing it voluntarily to pay£6k and give them barely any money to live on weekly....don't turn it round to other religions and cults. I'm talking about being a Mormon, nothing else
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    The key word is VOLUNTEER
    I am a Mormon. I did NOT serve a Mission. Many do, some of us do not. It is choice.
    As for Cult, 2,000 years ago a cult started in Jewish communities after a man died. claiming he was the Messiah and adapting the name Christian, follower of Christ.

Many churches do not approve of Masterbation.
    They also say no sex before marriage

But this thread isn't about them
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annabee wrote: »

A lot of religions have some good in them, it's true, but how people can still be daft enough to follow the nonsense pedalled by a 19th century American conman (Joseph Smith, he was convicted for fraud I believe), I really don't understand.
    Agreed. Wasn't he a drug addict too?
    I watched the PBS documentary too. The Mormons were persecuted badly, culminating in their great trek to Salt Lake, but if you google it, they were guilty of similar things - Mountain Meadows Massacre, for example.
    http://1857massacre.com/MMM/bloodatonement.htm

Also a condition of them being granted Statehood was to renounce polygamy. It sounds very strange to me and hypercritical, but ALL religions are guilty of actions and practices that are horrific or are a U Turn. It's not confined to the Mormon Church.
    BIB.Your right we don't know how we will change
    BIB. If Channel 4 said that missionaries can email their families and can send letter to their families and can phone or Skype their families on Christmas Day and American Mothers day then some people wouldn't think its a prison because its not a prison. Two of my brother went on a mission for two years and they loved it even though it is sad leaving family for two years its the person's choice as well.
    BIB. Thanks and I like hearing about other people's views. Do you go to Church on a Sunday?

:) Oh how I wish! If you read back I've broken my back and can barely sit up let alone walk. Apart from stretchers to get me to hospital, I haven't been out of the house for 7 months!
    Forum Member
    tally wrote: »
    I watched the PBS documentary too. The Mormons were persecuted badly, culminating in their great trek to Salt Lake, but if you google it, they were guilty of similar things - Mountain Meadows Massacre, for example.

Also a condition of them being granted Statehood was to renounce polygamy. It sounds very strange to me and hypercritical, but ALL religions are guilty of actions and practices that are horrific or are a U Turn. It's not confined to the Mormon Church.

:) Oh how I wish! If you read back I've broken my back and can barely sit up let alone walk. Apart from stretchers to get me to hospital, I haven't been out of the house for 7 months!

Sorry about your indisposition but God couldn't or wouldn't help you then so don't waste your energies wasting time there (at church, I mean).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    Sorry about your indisposition but God couldn't or wouldn't help you then so don't waste your energies wasting time there (at church, I mean).

:confused: You obviously haven't read my previous posts. I would LOVE to go back to church. Why would it be a waste of my energies? Just because you don't see the appeal please grant me the right to do what I feel best for me. I have a great church community and, as I no longer have family, their help has been invaluable, both spiritually and practically.
    Forum Member
    :confused: You obviously haven't read my previous posts. I would LOVE to go back to church. Why would it be a waste of my energies? Just because you don't see the appeal please grant me the right to do what I feel best for me. I have a great church community and, as I no longer have family, their help has been invaluable, both spiritually and practically.
    Oh well I've put my foot in it. You can't win em all!
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You god didn't stop you breaking you back and is not helping you recover at lightening speed, I guess that's what was meant
  • EveT1991EveT1991 Posts: 12,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:)Oh how I wish! If you read back I've broken my back and can barely sit up let alone walk. Apart from stretchers to get me to hospital, I haven't been out of the house for 7 months!

BIB. Joseph Smith never took drugs
    BIB. Im sorry to hear that :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »
    You god didn't stop you breaking you back and is not helping you recover at lightening speed, I guess that's what was meant
    :) Fair enough. I'm really used to people knocking faith which I think is a personal thing. Each to their own.

btw, I don't think he's my God. :p Several billion people would take issue with that!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    I watched this last night

I'm not sure what the mormon religion were trying to do by doing the documentary?

I thought josh to be unhappy and sometimes felt he wanted to say more but he dare not!
    the whole 24 7 companion was strange especially when it was decided the companion had to be in the room when previously he wasn't. Not talking to friends etc was harsh and the leader not very sympathetic to home sickness!

I really don't understand all the door knocking converting business, surely people will go if they are interested?

The church seamed scared of what might be said or reveled and the poor documentry maker seamed very tied in what she could and couldn't ask!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Mormon Girl, I have counted 6 occasions when people have stated that they will never become Mormons, only for you to reply that they do not know that. I would have thought that it would be obvious that they are stating their intention never to become Mormons and not claiming to predict the future. In any case, as far as I can tell, people have free will on this matter and they are entitled to think that they will never exercise the free will to become a Mormon. I am sorry to say your answer is now becoming tedious to say the least.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    What confused me most was the 2 year mission. When it was mentioned i assumed they were spending two years in africa providing food to starving kids, or off to borneo volunteering to protect rainforests and endangered animals.

I didnt think packing your kids up and sending them to live in a pokey flat several hours away so they would learn how to harras people in their own homes was missionary work.
    Forum Member
    Tt88 wrote: »
    What confused me most was the 2 year mission. When it was mentioned i assumed they were spending two years in africa providing food to starving kids, or off to borneo volunteering to protect rainforests and endangered animals.

I didnt think packing your kids up and sending them to live in a pokey flat several hours away so they would learn how to harras people in their own homes was missionary work.

It the name of anything other than religion it would not be. But religion stops questions being asked
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    But this thread isn't about them

I was replying to barkingmad. The reaction of some here to the documentary, you would think that only Mormons told their young people not to masturbate.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm starting to feel uneasy about this now, because Mormon Girl's "strange" answers really to appear to betray signs of autism. Perhaps we ought to leave it there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »

Missionary work is about sharing the message you believe to be true.
    With only 10% of people in some parts of the UK following a religion, for many faiths various forms of missionary work are taking place. From Jehovahs Witnesses and Mormons, knocking doors, street contacting. To the charasmatic approach of a church who had a stage in the town centre the other week with bands, singers and calls to prayer.

Many groups have a system, and for the majority of Mormons they are young men/women away from home the first time, learning on how to rely on their beleifs and the God they believe in.

What they do is not unique, but is maybe visible with the name tags.

The church also has retired husbands and wives who 'serve' together, and they include recent retired medical professionals, teachers etc in Humanitarian orograms.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I'm starting to feel uneasy about this now, because Mormon Girl's "strange" answers really to appear to betray signs of autism. Perhaps we ought to leave it there.

I think she gas said herself she is Autistic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she gas said herself she is Autistic.

Then I feel bad, especially since she's been banned. :(

I don't know how long for.
    Forum Member
    Then I feel bad, especially since she's been banned. :(

I don't know how long for.

She has been banned before several times for hijacking threads and starting repeat threads. The thread she started today was one too many so it seems

So it may be a while
  • cleo petracleo petra Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was very uncomfortable viewing with the poor lad and that creepy "companion" of his. All his body language, standing up and showing his height and stance , the way he kept putting his hand round the back of the neck and sitting above him on the sofa, said I am in charge, I am dominating this lad.

I don't have a massive problem with anyone choosing this lifestyle but I do have a problem with them being so blinkin pushy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    She has been banned before several times for hijacking threads and starting repeat threads. The thread she started today was one too many so it seems

So it may be a while

Ah. Thanks. I very rarely venture out of the tennis and US shows forums. I've never encountered her before. I thought our criticism had upset her.

;-) btw Joseph Smith was a drug addict according to the urban dictionary. Not the best source but I was first told he was about 30 years ago. I've no idea where the info came from, but given all the mystique surrounding his golden tablets revelations, I wouldn't rule it out.
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Joseph%20Smith

I have huge problems with a human being claiming to speak for God. It's too pat and easy to abuse.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    And where are these 'golden tablets' now then? You would have thought the early Mormons would have taken better care of them really. (!)