London - tube & parking or just pay London parking?

2»

Comments

• DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies
    Sammmymack wrote: »
    What part of the country are you coming from? Which station do you intend to park at? .

M1 north - Derby
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Hyde Park is open until midnight, again no idea what it is like to walk through at night, but there is a main road that you could stick to that cuts through the middle of the Park, more or less starts opposite the Royal Albert Hall.

Which is better value hard to say, depending what else you plan to do, for example a day travelcard is £12.00 each (zone 1-4) so that is £24.00...and depending on the hotel you are staying there are some NCP car parks in the area (eg Arthurs Court) that are about £26.00 for 24 hours.

£26.00 for 24 hours isnt so bad!

If a road through the park from RAH sounds perfect. If the park shuts at midnight, i'm sure we'll be out and in the hotel before then.

jra wrote: »
    Leave the car at the hotel and use public transport from then on. London transport is simply in a different league from the rest of the UK, including 24/7 night buses.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/maps/bus

Nightbuses, yes! Dont you need an oyster card for the buses though? Ive lost mine...
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    If you can just some by train fully. No need to bring the car.
    I wish - wayyyyy too expensive! £67 each :'( i think if we'd planned ahead we could have got super cheap prices, but not now
    If you do decide to drive in, it's not that difficult to find a space in a metered bay around Upper Brook St., Grosvenors Sq., Park St., Upper Grosvenor St. etc.
    If you get there after 18.30, you'll be okay to park for free until probably 08.00 the next day..

do you know how much per hour it is out of those times please? we want to get there 2- ish and leave about 11-12

Am going to look at Stanmore now
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are travelling by train from outside of London then check how much it would cost to a travel card onto your ticket. From where I am there is hardly any difference.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    If you are travelling by train from outside of London then check how much it would cost to a travel card onto your ticket. From where I am there is hardly any difference.

No, we're in the car :)

Stanmore looks like an option to be honest. £10.60 for the 2 days parking. A single on an oyster will be £3.10 each or £12.40 total for us both for both days (we can buy an oyster for £5 each but get it refunded)

One last question, sorry, will it be ok to leave the car in the carpark at Stanmore overnight?
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Nightbuses, yes! Dont you need an oyster card for the buses though? Ive lost mine...

Am going to look at Stanmore now

Yes, or contactless payments/paper tickets. They don't accept cash payments any more on buses.

The charges may be a bit higher for journeys made after midnight, but check on the TFL customer support line.

However, you shouldn't have to wait long most of the time for a London bus. Frequencies are awesome, with many services running every 5 minutes in the central area, during most of the day. Even night buses on some routes run every 10 minutes.

As for Stanmore. All I know is that it is the last northern stop on the Jubilee line and therefore on the outskirts of London. The trains are pretty modern, but unfortunately the track not so much so. Only the Jubilee line extension to Stratford has continuous weld rail. However, the train frequency is very high, about one every 90-120 seconds during most of the day.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/useful-contacts
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jubilee_line
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Track_%28rail_transport%29#Continuous_welded_rail
    (In other words the train doesn't go clickety click or clackety clack, because there are few rail joints.)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Underground_1996_Stock

Anyway. I hope you have a lovely time in London.
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=DaisyBumbleroot;77488648

I wish - wayyyyy too expensive! £67 each :'( i think if we'd planned ahead we could have got super cheap prices, but not now

do you know how much per hour it is out of those times please? we want to get there 2- ish and leave about 11-12

Am going to look at Stanmore now[/QUOTE]

Haven't parked in Mayfair or Marylebone for over three years now, I'd GUESS around £4.80 to £5.00.
    Don't forget to check the meter for if you have to pay for parking on a Sunday, and to get up and feed the meter if you have to, or move the car in case you get a ticket for feeding.
    I'm presuming that you're coming down on a Saturday, going back Sunday.
    No, we're in the car :)

Stanmore looks like an option to be honest. £10.60 for the 2 days parking. A single on an oyster will be £3.10 each or £12.40 total for us both for both days (we can buy an oyster for £5 each but get it refunded)

One last question, sorry, will it be ok to leave the car in the carpark at Stanmore overnight?

According to TripAdvisor yes you can, you nominate on the ticket machine how many days that you wish to park, it tells you how much, you can pay by cash or card.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant advice, more than I needed (which is a great thing), no one getting pissy with one another which is nothing short of a miracle on DS for a thread beyond 1 page (deliberate snarky posts after this don't count :P )

Thank you everyone, much appreciated
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Brilliant advice, more than I needed (which is a great thing), no one getting pissy with one another which is nothing short of a miracle on DS for a thread beyond 1 page (deliberate snarky posts after this don't count :P )

Thank you everyone, much appreciated

This is the Advice forum. We're all here to help as much as possible.

Battle takes place in the General Discussion or Politics forums. See you there later. :p