cineworld prices are crazy

Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,295
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A new cinema opened by me recently Premier Cinema and they charge £4 a film, so my local Vue cinema put down their prices to £4. So imagine my horror when I checked online and saw that adult tickets in cineworld if bought in cinema are £9

That's more then twice the price of vue and premier. I gave up going to cineworld when they bought in allocated seating, but they're going to lose a lot of business with those prices

Comments

• PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cineworld unlimited card
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    £9. Isn't that normal ?

Aren't people in places like London paying a premium on top of that too ?

It's still much cheaper than night on the raz !
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I pay £5.50 in the cinema (belfast). I wouldn't pay £9
  • grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cineworld unlimited card

This. Go twice a month and its pretty much paid its self.
  • Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think maybe it's different in different cities, my local vue charges £4 a ticket, is that the same for all vue cinemas?
  • pericompericom Posts: 6,024
    Forum Member
    Vue are a ripoff as well.

Its £25 at Westfield London for 3D movies (inc glasses).
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cineworld unlimited card

Not everyone has a Cineworld near them - I certainly don't.

It even takes me an hour on the bus to get to my Premier Cinema.
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just paid £9.50 each to get into Cineworld today in Aberdeen ! Not so long ago it was £8.50 and I thought that was terrible. The film was fantastic though - Far From The Madding Crowd - really enjoyed it.
  • DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most cinemas charge rip off prices now, especially since sodding 3D came along. God bless the chains that refrain from doing this but they aren't many of them. I suspect the corporate pigs at the film studios are mainly to blame for pushing the costs up. If you are taking all the family or group of friends the combined cost is a joke.

I love cinema, but when its cheaper to buy a brand new Blu-Ray (a format I personally consider to be overpriced) something is wrong. No wonder attendances are going down and cinema is increasingly reliant on kiddy blockbusters like the Avengers to keep the tills rolling.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Not all Odeons and Vues charge the same. My local vue and odeon are roughly £8. Saw Far From The Madding Crowd; nicely shot but a bit passionless, diluted to please teatime audiences.
  • fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cinema prices are crackers.
    The Odeon near me charges more for 'Big Films' (as vague as it sounds), then drops the price of everything to £6 after 2 weeks of release. As for 3D, I just don't bother seeing 3D films generally, and definitely not in the first 2 weeks, the prices are silly expensive.

I'd use a Cineworld annual fee thing if I had one nearby, but the nearest one is an hour+ drive away. Although Odeon are trialling something similar now, at like 4 cinemas...
  • c4ll3mwc4ll3mw Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    This. Go twice a month and its pretty much paid its self.

We have unlimited cards and ended up getting one for our 9 year old in end also as we try and go at least once a week sometimes more.

I like it because even if we're a bit short of cash we can still have a night out.

My hubby is a bit odd and has a spreadsheet where he puts every film we have seen on so he can see if we're getting our money's worth and we are saving loads having the cards.
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    c4ll3mw wrote: »
    We have unlimited cards and ended up getting one for our 9 year old in end also as we try and go at least once a week sometimes more.

I like it because even if we're a bit short of cash we can still have a night out.

My hubby is a bit odd and has a spreadsheet where he puts every film we have seen on so he can see if we're getting our money's worth and we are saving loads having the cards.

I have had an unlimited card since it started in August 2000 and I have done a spreadsheet and kept it going for 15 years. I have a separate tab for each year and list every film I have seen. Sad I know but actually a good reminder of what I have seen. Just for info I have seen 675 films and it has worked out as £3.10 per film over the 15 years!
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,956
    Forum Member
    I tend to go to the cinema on a Tuesday at odeon as movies are only £5.50.

I rarely go to the cinema to be honest.
  • AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4ll3mw wrote: »

At the end of the first year of having an unlimited card, when I got upgraded to the black card with better discounts and free 3D, I got an email telling me how much I'd saved that year, about £150 iirc.

The unlimited cards are great value if you live near a Cineworld. My missus and I tend to go at least once a week as we can walk to our local cineworld and there's always at least one film one of us wants to see. As you say, even if you're a bit short of cash, it's a night out without having to spend any money once you have the card, if you can resist the drinks and snacks in the foyer of course. :)
  • Nattie01Nattie01 Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think maybe it's different in different cities, my local vue charges £4 a ticket, is that the same for all vue cinemas?

No. I went to Vue in Leeds a couple of weeks ago and the cost of a bog -standard adult's ticket (ie not VIP not 3D) for a Saturday afternoon was £9.49. :o

Fortunately I can get vouchers though my employer's sport and recreation society for less than half of that. Otherwise I would wait for the DVD unless the film really needed to be seen and appreciated on the big screen.
    Forum Member
    I only ever used to go to the cinema on Wednesdays when Orange had their 2 for 1 deal. Since that's finished I bought Meerkat Movies instead.

Lots of people seem to be buying the cheapest insurance possible just to get MM for a whole year.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only paid £3.99 to see San Andreas today at the Vue in Romford on their 'Super Tuesday' deal. Cheapest i've paid out in a long time.
    Forum Member
    I only paid £3.99 to see San Andreas today at the Vue in Romford on their 'Super Tuesday' deal. Cheapest i've paid out in a long time.

Nice :)

Odeon have put their price up on "bargain Monday "

It used to be £5.50 now it's £6.50
  • giratalkialgagiratalkialga Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    I'm under 18 so luckily I don't have to pay out as much as £10 per 2D ticket. The most recent visit I paid to Cineworld was to see Mad Max and it cost me £8.50 for 3D on a Saturday which isn't too bad even though it was with 10% off by booking online.

These days I only go there if my local independent cinema (Broadway) isn't showing the film I want to watch, which is what I did with Kingsman and Mad Max. I went there to see Age of Ultron in 3D for £4 (no 3D surcharge), TWO DAYS after release 😃 However, 16+ patrons have to pay double that at £8, so I've only got 5 months left at ultra- cheap prices 😫
  • Double HelixDouble Helix Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Got in to see San Andreas for £3.50 in my local one screen independent. Could see the joins in some of the visual effects, so glad I didn't pay more.
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Wish I had a Cineworld or independent cinema nearby.
    All there is is Odeon and Vue (for miles) which charge stupid prices.
    No wonder I rarely go to the cinema.
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just make up for it by stealing from the pick n mix...

... is something I would never say, because it is wrong to steal.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    You're lucky you don't have 4DX and a Superscreen upping the prices. I have an unlimited card and I struggle sometimes to find a showing of a new movie I don't have to pay extra for.

As a rule I won't use 4DX, its something that belongs in theme parks not the cinema, but I'm treating my Mum and my brother with 4DX tickets to Jurassic World for my Mum's birthday as it's what she wants. It's £30 for the 3 of us, one normal ticket, one child and one unlimited card (I have to pay £4.70 extra with the card)
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    £9. Isn't that normal ?

Aren't people in places like London paying a premium on top of that too ?

If you imagine how many flats could fit in a cinema, the value of most London cinemas must be in the tens of millions. How much money do they have to take to justify staying open when they could make a fortune by closing down?

In fact Picturehouse promised to open a cinema in my local high street but it's never happened, probably because the owners of the property can make more money turning it into flats.