Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I now have my copy. :D
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooh good:D i will get mine at the weekend:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    This quest to pick a book seems to have been fast and it seems a couple of people may have wanted more suggestions and nominations for a book.

To try and allow a better selection I'm going to suggest working to this system for next month.

My suggestion is

(each closing is midnight Sunday)

1st Oct-10th October = Poll to decide genre
    11th Oct-17th Oct = Suggestions and nominations for book to be read in that genre (no voting allowed)
    18th-24th Oct = Voting to decide which book we read.
    25th-31st Oct = Allows a week for people to buy/download/order the winning title
    1st Nov = Start reading
    1st Nov - A new two week poll for the genre of the December read.

From then on it follows on more or less the same One week (approximately) poll to decide the next genre, one week to nominate books, one week to vote on which one and an week to order. There is often going to be an approximately somewhere because the month's don't always start on and Sunday or Monday. If it's adapted so actions ends midnight on Sunday. When the month does start midseek IMO it's better to extend it to runnng 10 days than having an short three day poll.

As I say this is just a suggestion to try and get a bit of structure set up each month but if anyone has alternative ideas or maybe would prefer two weeks to nominate titles or vote on a book then great. :)
  • PhoebicaPhoebica Posts: 2,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This quest to pick a book seems to have been fast and it seems a couple of people may have wanted more suggestions and nominations for a book.

To try and allow a better selection I'm going to suggest working to this system for next month.

My suggestion is

(each closing is midnight Sunday)

1st Oct-10th October = Poll to decide genre
    11th Oct-17th Oct = Suggestions and nominations for book to be read in that genre (no voting allowed)
    18th-24th Oct = Voting to decide which book we read.
    25th-31st Oct = Allows a week for people to buy/download/order the winning title
    1st Nov = Start reading
    1st Nov - A new two week poll for the genre of the December read.

From then on it follows on more or less the same One week (approximately) poll to decide the next genre, one week to nominate books, one week to vote on which one and an week to order. There is often going to be an approximately somewhere because the month's don't always start on and Sunday or Monday. If it's adapted so actions ends midnight on Sunday. When the month does start midseek IMO it's better to extend it to runnng 10 days than having an short three day poll.

As I say this is just a suggestion to try and get a bit of structure set up each month but if anyone has alternative ideas or maybe would prefer two weeks to nominate titles or vote on a book then great. :)

That's fine, but I do believe having a poll to choose the genre each month will result in the same 1 or 2 genre's being chosen every time. I'm happy to read whatever though so if that's what everyone wants to do then we'll do that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like the sound of this & would like to join in... sounds good but to my embarrassment I really don't know exactly how a 'book club' is meant to work :o

Sounds right up my street as I'm still in the early days of getting a foothold in the reading world (and really enjoying it!)

Simply a case that we all read the book and discuss it when we have finished it? If we post whilst reading, that wouldnt work with us all at different stages? If we post when we finished, again, people will already have finished it and had the same discussions you might have been interested to have taken part in ... I imagine others will have been involved in these before either online or in person - how do they actually work?

Sorry for what, written down, is such a silly question, am not really dim, honest! :)
  • mocha-lattemocha-latte Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I join please :)

Won't be around all the time, but will join in when poss
    if that's ok ...
    Forum Member
    Phoebica wrote: »
    That's fine, but I do believe having a poll to choose the genre each month will result in the same 1 or 2 genre's being chosen every time. I'm happy to read whatever though so if that's what everyone wants to do then we'll do that.

Thats easily fixed by having an rulling that once a genre has been chosen then it is out of contention for 6 months or even a year if people can come up with 12 genres. If there aren't 12 genres it could be based n a theme.
    Off the top of my head I have

1) Crime
    2) Horror
    3) Romance
    4) Historical
    5) Classic (pre 1900)
    6) Classic (post 1900)
    7) Children/Teens (Harry Potter is just one of a lot of good novels for kids and teens)
    8) SF/Fantasy
    9) Western
    10) Real Life/Suvivor (The genre quite often of people that have suffered child abuse or cancer and have fought to get through it. Books by Dave Pelzer etc)
    11) Celebrity Autobiography
    12) War
    13) Spy/Espionage
    14) Travel books (Michael Palin, Bill Bryson)
    Forum Member
    milmol wrote: »
    I really like the sound of this & would like to join in... sounds good but to my embarrassment I really don't know exactly how a 'book club' is meant to work :o

Sounds right up my street as I'm still in the early days of getting a foothold in the reading world (and really enjoying it!)

Simply a case that we all read the book and discuss it when we have finished it? If we post whilst reading, that wouldnt work with us all at different stages? If we post when we finished, again, people will already have finished it and had the same discussions you might have been interested to have taken part in ... I imagine others will have been involved in these before either online or in person - how do they actually work?

Sorry for what, written down, is such a silly question, am not really dim, honest! :)

No you aren't Dim. :)

I've been wondering the same thing myself. If it's an Book Club where people meet on a set date then it's assumed everyone has read the book, but online I'm not sure how it works.
  • urt31urt31 Posts: 2,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we will go with Sister for the first book, by popular demand. I will start the thread tomorow night for discussion, for the first couple of weeks any posts containing plot spoilers could be kept in spoiler tags and after that we can just have a free for all.

I have an idea to improve the nomination system that should ensure we get a wider range of books, will include it in the thread tomorow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    urt31 wrote: »
    I think we will go with Sister for the first book, by popular demand. I will start the thread tomorow night for discussion, for the first couple of weeks any posts containing plot spoilers could be kept in spoiler tags and after that we can just have a free for all.

I have an idea to improve the nomination system that should ensure we get a wider range of books, will include it in the thread tomorow.

I've succumbed to buying it off amazon!! :p:rolleyes:, its a fairly new book so i wanted to get it in plenty of time! though my library is usually pretty good at getting new books!

ps good one urt:D
    i'm happy to fall lin with whatever, if i cant get a book for any reason, i'll wait till thenext one:D
    cant wait to get 'sister'!!:D
    Forum Member
    urt31 wrote: »

Perhaps once people start discussing the bookThey could put the page they are up to before the stuff in spoliers?
    So if I read that it's up to page 132 and I'm on page 147 I Know I can read it, but if I'm on page 100 I know its better not too.
    People would just need to go back and check if something they mention takes place before or after whatever page it is.
    Obviously if it says completed than that is self explanatory
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No you aren't Dim. :)

I've been wondering the same thing myself. If it's an Book Club where people meet on a set date then it's assumed everyone has read the book, but online I'm not sure how it works.

Thanks :) The last few posts seem to show how it will work... now I guess its just wait and see how it pans out! I've ordered 'Sister' from Amazon, so I'm looking forward to giving this a go!
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,166
    Forum Member
    Okay I've downloaded my copy and already started reading. When is the deadline to finish it?
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tried to buy 'Sisters' today but couldn't find anything-else I wanted in the buy one, one half-price sale :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kate36 wrote: »
    I've succumbed to buying it off amazon!! :p:rolleyes:, its a fairly new book so i wanted to get it in plenty of time! though my library is usually pretty good at getting new books!

ps good one urt:D
    i'm happy to fall lin with whatever, if i cant get a book for any reason, i'll wait till thenext one:D
    cant wait to get 'sister'!!:D

i've cancelled my amazon order going to see if i can still get it from library in time, if not, i'll join in with next book
    Forum Member
    Lushness wrote: »
    Okay I've downloaded my copy and already started reading. When is the deadline to finish it?

I'm not sure there is a deadline as such. Logically it would be by the end of the month which would be the end of October. I think you are the only person that has started reading it.:p

If you finish it beforehand you can post your thoughts but please remember to do so as spoilers. :D
    Forum Member
    i've cancelled my amazon order going to see if i can still get it from library in time, if not, i'll join in with next book

Did you check with your library first to see if they actually had it either at your local one or another that they can transfer a copy from?

Hopefully you'll be able to join in anyway. The thread with the discussion about the book will still be on these forums for a long while so even if you read it in November or possibly you can still join in. You'll just be joining in late. :)
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure there is a deadline as such. Logically it would be by the end of the month which would be the end of October. I think you are the only person that has started reading it.:p

If you finish it beforehand you can post your thoughts but please remember to do so as spoilers. :D

Ooops :o

Yes of course, but I think I'll wait until everyone starts reading it too! :p:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you check with your library first to see if they actually had it either at your local one or another that they can transfer a copy from?

Hopefully you'll be able to join in anyway. The thread with the discussion about the book will still be on these forums for a long while so even if you read it in November or possibly you can still join in. You'll just be joining in late

It's ok, I've downloaded it to iPod from kindle store:D
    It was only £2.34!:D
    Forum Member
    Ooops :o

Yes of course, but I think I'll wait until everyone starts reading it too! :p:D

Go ahead and read it, it doesn't matter. LOL!
    I may have an 2 hour train journey ahead of me this week so I'll probably start reading it too.
    Unless the train gets busy then I'll get out a copy of big boobs monthly and then nobody will sit next to me so I can continue to spread out.on the seat :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go ahead and read it, it doesn't matter. LOL!
    I may have an 2 hour train journey ahead of me this week so I'll probably start reading it too.
    Unless the train gets busy then I'll get out a copy of big boobs monthly and then nobody will sit next to me so I can continue to spread out.on the seat :D

happy travels!!:eek::p

im going to make a start this afternoon, that's if i dont nod off!
  • mocha-lattemocha-latte Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got my Copy :D:D
    Forum Member
    Got my Copy :D:D

I got mine last Sunday. If I had started reading it then, I would probably have finished it by now. :D
    Forum Member
    It's ok, I've downloaded it to iPod from kindle store:D
    It was only £2.34!:D

I paid £2.35 for mine! Oh the outrage! :mad::p:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I paid £2.35 for mine! Oh the outrage! :mad::p:D

**sniggers**:D:D

what have you got then, an actual kindle? or the kindle app?
    i've got the free kindle app on my ipod and i love it:D i do love 'real' books, they are my first choice, but this is my first foray into digital reading so im still new to it. At the moment i use the kindle app for 'samples' to see what books are like before i buy or borrow

another good site which does freebie extracts is lovereading uk