Recomendations

dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
Forum Member
I'm new to comics and was introduced via The Walking Dead and now I'm loving the Chew series and plan to start on V for Vendetta. I would also like to read the novel Dotter of Her Fathers Eyes.

With these in mind has anyone got any recommendations. I prefer off beat or literary type.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Y The Last Man is probably the best series I've ever read:)
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SHANK0055 wrote: »
    Y The Last Man is probably the best series I've ever read:)

Have you started reading Saga? BKV's best since Y... if not better!

Same goes to the OP - Saga. Think they're only up to issue 8 or 9 but there's a trade paperback out already with 1-5 or 6 in.

Transmetropolitan is another excellent comic available in trade, though I got into Warren Ellis via his Marvel stuff along with Global Frequency and Planetary, also worth checking out.

Mike Carey's Lucifer is also good, and then there's Neil Gaiman's Sandman.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »

and then there's Neil Gaiman's Sandman.

I must check that out. Do you know if it is planned to have a definite end, like 'Y', or is it intended to be ongoing?

And a big fat 'yes' to Sandman and 'V For Vedetta'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »

I've got the first trade and it's on my to read next list :D
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sandman
    Lucifer
    Top 10
    Astro City
    The Boys.
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    I will certainly check these recommendations out.

I'm becoming addicted, just got the first three issues of Bedlam - seriously good. I've also started on Revival - not sure about this, not really going anywhere.

I've ordered Maus and Persepolis, looking forward to these. I'll check out the others in this thread.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    dosanjh1 wrote: »
    I'm new to comics and was introduced via The Walking Dead and now I'm loving the Chew series and plan to start on V for Vendetta. I would also like to read the novel Dotter of Her Fathers Eyes.

With these in mind has anyone got any recommendations. I prefer off beat or literary type.

I would wholeheartedly recommend Cerebus the Aardvark by Dave Sim. But beware, it is massive.

Started as a Conan spoof but grew into an epic fantasy. Similar in a way to how the Discworld books developed but this is far more intellectual. Still manages to be very funny though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    The World's End books are great, just got into them myself.

Fables.

Oh, and Elephantmen, really great stuff and the compilation books are decently priced and very good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ChrisToria wrote: »
    Oh, and Elephantmen, really great stuff and the compilation books are decently priced and very good.

Must admit I really wanted to like Elephantmen, a couple of people I know have worked on it, but I picked up the first compilation and it just didn't grab me at all, unfortunately.
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    I've done V for Vendetta and plan to read more Alan Moore; I quite fancy From Hell.

I'm half way through Y the last man - top stuff, thanks for the tip.

I've also finished Maus which was an emotional powerhouse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From Hell is heavy going, work into it with Watchmen and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen :D