Introducing Wii MotionPlus

thecreepingmessthecreepingmess Posts: 3,070
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Nintendo's upcoming Wii MotionPlus accessory for the revolutionary Wii Remote controller again redefines game control, by more quickly and accurately reflecting motions in a 3-D space. The Wii MotionPlus accessory attaches to the end of the Wii Remote and, combined with the accelerometer and the sensor bar, allows for more comprehensive tracking of a player’s arm position and orientation, providing players with an unmatched level of precision and immersion. Every slight movement players make with their wrist or arm is rendered identically in real time on the screen, providing a true 1:1 response in their game play. The Wii MotionPlus accessory reconfirms Nintendo’s commitment to making games intuitive and accessible for everyone. Nintendo will reveal more details about the Wii MotionPlus accessory and other topics Tuesday morning at its E3 media briefing.

: : source : :

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So we are getting MORE accessories? And It should of been introduced from the start!

Nintendo will probably bundle with wii music and make millions probablys!
  • thecreepingmessthecreepingmess Posts: 3,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are various reasons why it couldn't have been/wasn't introduced from the start.

This is Nintendo's pre-emptive strike against MS's upcoming motion controller for the 360.
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are various reasons why it couldn't have been/wasn't introduced from the start.

This is Nintendo's pre-emptive strike against MS's upcoming motion controller for the 360.
    Well if it is, they sure have come up with it soon!

Either Nintendo work extremely fast or it has been in the works a while and they have just waited to launch it.

Personally, i think this is a gimmick. My games work perfectly fine just now without adding bit on to the remote.
  • JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,660
    Forum Member
    Every slight movement players make with their wrist or arm is rendered identically in real time on the screen, providing a true 1:1 response in their game play.
    This sounds great!

Surely this opens up possibilities of true sword fights (a new Zelda could be quality ;)).

And obviously, even more precise sport actions - I'm still holding on to the hope of a cricket game. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's in time for Wii sports 2 with online play. :)

At least it's just a little block that plugs into the Wiimote. If you can attach it and leave it there without having to remove it each time for older games I don't mind too much.
  • boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    Wii Sports 2 is a must. Wireless nunchuck for playing tennis (option please) and the addon so i swing the Wiimote like a racket rather than twitch my wrist.
  • dodgygeezadodgygeeza Posts: 6,350
    Forum Member
    So how exactly is this going to work? My money's on gyro sensors but surely that would have a significant effect on battery life. It can't be an improvement to the IR system because it's at the wrong end of the remote, it's unlikely to be an improved accelerometer becuase those things are tiny and the box is relatively large. I'm not even sure if full 1:1 is possible with accelerometers alone.

Unless it's something totally novel that I have no idea about I can't see what it can be other than gyro. They're going to have to make some new Wii Remote Jackets though!

[edit] Not to mention the cost. A modular controller design is good in theory, but the total cost of all three components is going to be prety high given that remote and nunchuk so far is around £45.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    Another add-on that'll see limited use!?
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    dodgygeeza wrote: »
    Unless it's something totally novel that I have no idea about I can't see what it can be other than gyro. They're going to have to make some new Wii Remote Jackets though!

It might be a sonar-type device. It says something in the PR about measuring where your arms and hands are through the holes. That suggests sonar to me but I don't see how it will really help with the motion-sensing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    /Tries to drum up requisite excitement.

/Can't.

This has to be a joke.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    /Tries to drum up requisite excitement.

/Can't.

This has to be a joke.
    Do you think this is the big thing we'll all want this Christmas?

If so, the game this comes bundled with would have to be awesome, as I'm having trouble getting excited by this too!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a fan of the Wii. I think.

I have really enjoyed the types of games I've bought thus far. The ExciteTrucks, the PES's, the Mario Galaxy's and Zelda's. But a fan of drivel and further plastic tack ons I am not. I don't go for Raving Rabbids or Frisbee Championship, and I don't go for expensive pointless bits of plastic that get one airing and then done.

OK, we're yet to hear the actual press release with this thing, but a number of concerns immediately occur to me. How much, for starters? What games will it be used for? Will it add anything to games I already have? And crucially, how can this thing improve third party efforts?

I see only more barriers really. Am I, after spending £35-45 on a Wii remote and nunchuck, going to want to spend another however much on one of these things? My immediate answer is no, not really thanks. I always felt the nunchuck should have come bundled with the remote, and hated spending £15 on top of the remote for one, so spending yet again on further control "enhancements" is not my ideal scenario.

OK, bundle it with a game. Then it becomes the bit of plastic that only works with one game, and everyone else who didn't buy that game doesn't bother picking it up because it doesn't work on any other games, so it gets shunted to the back of the cupboard.

Still, there's always the maniacs on Ebay that just love to pay through the nose for second hand Nintendo gear, so it might be worth buying it, keeping it sealed in carbonite, and selling it on in space year 2079 for a small fortune.

If you didn't guess already, I'm not impressed. One bit.
    Forum Member
    There's no guarantee that it will be bundled with a game, although given Nintendo's recent track record it is quite likely. Link's Sword Training?
    Will it add anything to games I already have?
    Definitely not, support for this will have to be coded into the software. If it has any retrospective benefits at all I will... eat my proverbial hat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm keeping an open mind. At the moment the pointing and rotation of the controller work perfectly but I always felt the motion sensing was only just "good enough". I'd welcome more accuracy for things like tennis and golf swings.

I actually think some of the third party developers suffer because the motion sensing is not accurate enough at the moment and they can't get it to work the way they would like while Nintendo have more of an idea what will work and what won't with the Wiimote and develop the controls accordingly. Obviously you'll still get the odd developer just taking on waggle controls to games out of lazyness.
    Forum Member
    I agree Ilowman. The pointing, rotation and depth perception work very well, ie everything that is IR driven. Some of the accelerometer implementations are good but it can get confused easily, say for example in Wii Sports golf when taking a small putt or chip rather than a full swing. It does work very well for Wii Sports bowling, though.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    If you didn't guess already, I'm not impressed. One bit.
    Wasn't this the same sort of reaction when the balance board was announced?
    Then came the "69.99:eek: OMG! im not paying that as its not worth it and way too much for what it is".
    Then what happens is that Wiifit gets released and Nintendo cannot keep up with demand.
    I think i'll wait until tomorrow for E3 and the comming weeks/months before passing judgement until I see whats actually in the pipeline.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they combine this with a Wii Sports 2 announcement tomorrow Nintendo will rule the world a second time over.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    It wasn't included from the get-go because just a mere 2 years ago it was nigh on impossible to do 1:1 motion sensing at a reasonable price.

Its also said that it will improve the motion sensing on current games, making it more adept at picking up motions (I myself have had several times like on Zelda when this happened and it didnt recognise what I wanted it to do)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they combine this with a Wii Sports 2 announcement tomorrow Nintendo will rule the world a second time over.

There will be a Wii Sports 2? Hopefully they'll announce a new Zelda game, and a date for Wii Music (and an American release date for Wii Chess :o)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Knowing Nintendont they will prob just release about 1000 or so to the UK on release day (which will be all pre-ordered up anyway) and then you wont be able to get hold of one for months and months....
    They did it with the console itself on launch and now with wii-fit..
    so why not continue the trend with everything else they make?? Morons!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching the E3 conference Live right now, and Wii Motion Plus will be bundled with Wii Sports 2: Resort
    Forum Member
    ...and an extended remote jacket :p
  • tommyd1258tommyd1258 Posts: 6,923
    Forum Member
    Wii MotionPlus; another pointless money making accessory for Wii!
  • boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    tommyd1258 wrote: »
    Wii MotionPlus; another pointless money making accessory for Wii!

The game would be coming out regardless. How is it pointless?
    Forum Member
    If it enables true 1:1 control for things such as the sword games in Wii Sports: Resort, which it is bundled with, I say the label pointless is more than a bit unfair.