if you had the 50th trailer would you show it now?

thorterrthorterr Posts: 110
Forum Member
Still gets me a bit angry that im a bbc licence payer for 30 years and ive still not seen the trailer and some american kid has seen it 6 weeks ago ,,if i had it right now id show it and explain why its right to do that ..would anyone else?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Change. The. Record
  • BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    If I was a fan who stumbled across it then, yeah, I'd probably share it.

But if I was BBC Marketing, in charge of when to put it out, then tbh I wouldn't show it just yet.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Change. The. Record

Its hardly as if people have gone on about this subject ad nauseum is it? Especially compared to certain pet subjects on this forum that pop up again and again.

In answer to the OP...yes. I would've released a teaser by now at the very least if not the comic con trailer.

But actually now I don't care. I got bored of waiting for something and as it wasn't coming moved beyond the mass excitement to something approaching apathy. Of course once anything new is released I will be all hyped again but I am no longer checking every site every day or waiting anxiously for any scrap of something. And its probably better that way. And with days and weeks passing it wont be long until we have seen it. In fact in three and a bit months time we will have seen the fiftieth pass and the end the Eleventh era and will face another 8-9 months of nothing. So best not wish it away.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    thorterr wrote: »
    Still gets me a bit angry that im a bbc licence payer for 30 years and ive still not seen the trailer and some american kid has seen it 6 weeks ago ,,if i had it right now id show it and explain why its right to do that ..would anyone else?

Being a license payer has nothing to do with it. You pay the license for the right to own a telly, not as a subscription to the BBC.

Besides, even if you wanted to look at it that way, you'd be paying for the programmes, not the adverts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You pay the license for the right to own a telly

You don't actually believe that?

Of course you don't pay for the right to own a TV. I could own hundreds and not have to pay a licence fee.

The type of idiots who believe that are the ones who say 'but they asked me my post code and house number at John Lewis to check I had one'. Yes, they did. So they could alert the TV licence authorities is part of that, but if you don't watch live broadcasts on your TV, including live on iPlayer, then you don't have to pay a licence.

It is NOTHING to do with a TV set. You would need a licence if you didn't own a TV but did watch live broadcasts on a mobile phone or tablet or computer etc. Seriously, why do you talk such rubbish.

Second paragraph of section 1.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/what-if-a-tv-licence-is-not-needed-top12/

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/

The licence fee essentially does pay for the BBC.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/what-does-your-licence-fee-pay-for-top13/

I couldn't give a toss about the OP, I totally lost interest in the trailer or the 50th episode. All about Big Finish for me now, until the episode itself comes along.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thorterr wrote: »

Entitlement anyone?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being a license payer has nothing to do with it. You pay the license for the right to own a telly, not as a subscription to the BBC.

You pay for a licence in order to be able to legally watch broadcast tv
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would be nice to see it in say october. Not that unreasonable as it is october in 11 days time. Gives us a month and a bit to get excited for the big night on Nov 23rd . Wonder if at the end of DOTD we will get a sneek peak of the christmas special ?. "Doctor Who will return at Christmas ...". Will only be 4 weeks 4 days from the episode airing last time we see 11 :cry:. Still enjoy watching though. :):D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    While that's true,I don't know of anyone who owns a tv that doesn't watch any television programmes. I'm sure there must be.but I imagine if they were paid a visit by the tv licence people they'd better make sure no aerial was connected!
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Entitlement anyone?

Yay!!:D

Too easily pleased, anyone? ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yay!!:D

Too easily pleased, anyone? ;)
    Bingo! :D

As long as people post entitlement statements like "I pay the TV Licence", then entitlement issues are present and may be pointed out. ;)
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its too soon.. all a trailer does is ramp up excitement and with such a long time still to wait there is a danger of deflating the episode... I see no reason why a trailer for adventure in space and time can't be aired thou as it's more of a documentary
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allen_who wrote: »
    Its too soon.. all a trailer does is ramp up excitement and with such a long time still to wait there is a danger of deflating the episode... I see no reason why a trailer for adventure in space and time can't be aired thou as it's more of a documentary

Yes, and on previous form (as seen on many other dramas & other shows), the BBC will no doubt start with a very short teaser with the words "Coming soon" maybe a month before transmission, with a proper trailer maybe a fortnight before.

It's all meant to slowly ramp up interest, but not so soon as to allow that interest to fade before the transmission date. That's presumably how they believe the marketing and promotion (which of course has a cost) will have the most effect.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Personally I'd rather not see any trailer as, these days, they tend to give too much of the plot and/or surprises away. The 50th is one show I'd like to see fresh without spoilers.
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Also, BBC Worldwide paid for the advert, not BBC One. It was a specifically targeted advert for a certain type of audience, of which the majority of the BBC audience do not make up. It will be a very different advert, as it has a different job to do.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Bingo! :D

As long as people post entitlement statements like "I pay the TV Licence", then entitlement issues are present and may be pointed out. ;)

How is that entitlement?

It would be entitlement if I said that because I pay the TV Licence every single programme on the BBC should be something that I personally was interested in.

But I'm not saying that.

I'm saying I pay the TV licence and I don't see why something I paid for, and has already been made and shown to a privileged few, shouldn't be available for me to watch as well.

I can understand why the people at Comic Con got to see it first as a perk. I cannot see why it could not be shown a bit later to anyone else who wants to see it.

For the record - I feel the same about the so-called prequels which are only available on-line. I can watch them, but not everyone has a computer, and they miss out. Totally unfair. The prequels are made by BBC and should be available to all Licence fee payers. They should be shown on TV or not made.

And I was a bit miffed with Matt when he was praising the fans who had seen the trailer but not "leaked" it to other fans. How is that "leaking"? It's not giving away the plot. It's just sharing information for those who want to know. those who don't can ignore it, of course.

I've said I'm pleased with the 50th weekend programmes, and I am. But it doesn't mean the BBC have handled the whole 50th year well, because they absolutely haven't.

And that is my opinion, which I am entitled to state. Anyone who disagrees is entitled to do so.
  • cy_bonescy_bones Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4 - 6 weeks seems to be quite reasonable...
    I expect to see some little teasers starting to appear on screen from next month - not just for the episode but for everything else as well.
    Just be patient - it'll be worth the wait!
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But I'm not saying that.

I'm saying I pay the TV licence and I don't see why something I paid for, and has already been made and shown to a privileged few, shouldn't be available for me to watch as well.

I can understand why the people at Comic Con got to see it first as a perk. I cannot see why it could not be shown a bit later to anyone else who wants to see it.

From what I understand the Comic Con Panel (and Presumably the trailer made for it) were financed by BBC Worldwide who do not get any part of the Licence Fee.

So paying the Licence fee does not mean you paid for the Comic Con Trailer.

I can Guarantee that the trailer shown on TV in the next few weeks will not be the same trailer that was shown at Comic Con.

It's the same for the trailers for previous series, the trailer made for BBC Worldwide (to be shown on BBCA) was always different to the one shown on the BBC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find this theory that any trailer being shown weeks before it airs will make people sick of it and 'deflate the episode' (?????) utterly bizarre. Does anyone honestly think this is the case? So does that mean all the people who saw it at comic con are less excited having been able to see it six weeks ago? Erm....

I suppose they can learn from the example of Rockstar games. They released a trailer for GTA v two years and then one year before it released. And that caused such fatigue among the public and fan community that its about to rocket to 1 billion sales within a few days of release. I do wonder where all these amateur program and trailer schedulers and pr experts on here learnt their skills.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    While that's true,I don't know of anyone who owns a TV that doesn't watch any television programmes. I'm sure there must be.but I imagine if they were paid a visit by the TV licence people they'd better make sure no aerial was connected!

My Mum owns a TV and does nothing but watch videos and DVDs. She hasn't paid the license fee for 5 years now and is perfectly happy without watching live TV. Good luck to her though, I couldn't go without it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    From what I understand the Comic Con Panel (and Presumably the trailer made for it) were financed by BBC Worldwide who do not get any part of the Licence Fee.

So paying the Licence fee does not mean you paid for the Comic Con Trailer.

I can Guarantee that the trailer shown on TV in the next few weeks will not be the same trailer that was shown at Comic Con.

It's the same for the trailers for previous series, the trailer made for BBC Worldwide (to be shown on BBCA) was always different to the one shown on the BBC.

The comic con trailer might have been edited by BBC worldwide but unless it was all exclusively shot footage that won't appear in the episode then this claim the license fee didn't pay for it is nonsense. It might not have paid for the time of the editor. But it sure as hell paid for the scenes that made up the trailer. Ergo without license fee funding the trailer itself wouldn't exist.
    Forum Member
    I find this theory that any trailer being shown weeks before it airs will make people sick of it and 'deflate the episode' (?????) utterly bizarre. Does anyone honestly think this is the case? So does that mean all the people who saw it at comic con are less excited having been able to see it six weeks ago? Erm....

I suppose they can learn from the example of Rockstar games. They released a trailer for GTA v two years and then one year before it released. And that caused such fatigue among the public and fan community that its about to rocket to 1 billion sales within a few days of release. I do wonder where all these amateur program and trailer schedulers and pr experts on here learnt their skills.

Unfortunately, that example can't quite fit your argument. The Rockstart trailers are not aimed at a BBC family show audience. The demographics are so very different, that yes, you can claim that the Doctor Who advert could cause fatigue, while the GTA V trailer wouldn't. There's a whole load of psychology that goes into advertising. and they are both from very different perspectives, to very different viewerships.

One size does not fit all.
    Forum Member
    How is that entitlement?

It would be entitlement if I said that because I pay the TV Licence every single programme on the BBC should be something that I personally was interested in.

But I'm not saying that.

For the record - I feel the same about the so-called prequels which are only available on-line. I can watch them, but not everyone has a computer, and they miss out. Totally unfair. The prequels are made by BBC and should be available to all Licence fee payers. They should be shown on TV or not made.

And I was a bit miffed with Matt when he was praising the fans who had seen the trailer but not "leaked" it to other fans. How is that "leaking"? It's not giving away the plot. It's just sharing information for those who want to know. those who don't can ignore it, of course.

I've said I'm pleased with the 50th weekend programmes, and I am. But it doesn't mean the BBC have handled the whole 50th year well, because they absolutely haven't.

And that is my opinion, which I am entitled to state. Anyone who disagrees is entitled to do so.

You might have paid for the scenes to be shot, but you didn't pay for the officially licenced use of those scenes for an advertisement edited specifically for a different audience. That would be BBC Worldwide who paid for that. And If they don't want to just show everybody (as is their wont - after all, they paid for it), then they don't have to.

I would love to see the advert. Really would love to. But right now, I can't. And I don't feel I'm entitled to, just because I pay a licence fee.
    Forum Member
    The comic con trailer might have been edited by BBC worldwide but unless it was all exclusively shot footage that won't appear in the episode then this claim the license fee didn't pay for it is nonsense. It might not have paid for the time of the editor. But it sure as hell paid for the scenes that made up the trailer. Ergo without license fee funding the trailer itself wouldn't exist.

You didn't help BBC Worldwide pay for the licence to use those scenes, though, did you? If you did, then of course you should get to see the advert.

But you didn't, so if they decide not to release that advert for general consumption, that's the way of business.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's really not a good example, saladfingers. You're omitting the fact that the people in attendance at Comic Con were mostly die hard fans who will likely be excited no matter what. The purpose of a trailer isn't to please the die hard fans (who know all the little details and would tune in even if there was no trailer at all), it's primarily intended to attract the general public (people who might watch the show more or less regularly, but who aren't obsessive about it and don't spend hours talking about the internet etc.). Yes, a few die hard fans did get the trailer early as a treat, but would they have gotten to see it i the room wasn't full of more or less important media as well who created a lot of buzz around the episode without releasing the actual trailer?