Options

Is The Doctor Really the Last Of The Time Lords?

daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm not sure if this subject has raised it's head before, sure it must, but surely some of The Doctor's other Time Lord adversaries are still out there meaning he can't actually be the Last Of Time Lords?

Reason I say this?

Omega, sent back to the anti-matter universe at the end of Arc Of Infinity, he wouldn't even been able to get back to the normal universe and even if he had, wouldn't be much left of him to fight the Time War.

And then there's The Rani. Doesn't seem the sort of person to indulge in a fight unless threatened as she's a Scientist more interested in her experiments for her own ends. (Would love to see her return by the way)

And last of all, The Meddling Monk. Like he's going to join a war! He'd scarper at the first sign of trouble or manipulate a situation to engineer his own escape. Just can't see it!

So thoughts on this anyone?

:)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if this subject has raised it's head before, sure it must, but surely some of The Doctor's other Time Lord adversaries are still out there meaning he can't actually be the Last Of Time Lords?

Reason I say this?

Omega, sent back to the anti-matter universe at the end of Arc Of Infinity, he wouldn't even been able to get back to the normal universe and even if he had, wouldn't be much left of him to fight the Time War.

And then there's The Rani. Doesn't seem the sort of person to indulge in a fight unless threatened as she's a Scientist more interested in her experiments for her own ends. (Would love to see her return by the way)

And last of all, The Meddling Monk. Like he's going to join a war! He'd scarper at the first sign of trouble or manipulate a situation to engineer his own escape. Just can't see it!

So thoughts on this anyone?

:)

Don't forget the Master. Also, I like to think the Doctor would only help in the war on one condition: That Susan was left
    out of it. Seems like the heroic selfless sort of thing he'd do.

So yes. There must be a time lord out there still.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't forget the Master. Also, I like to think the Doctor would only help in the war on one condition: That Susan was left

I didn't mention about The Master because we know what's happened to him and how he was out there undetected.

And Susan was someone else I did forget about, so good point! :)
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course not! They'll be back ......

(otherwise, where will he get Tardis spare parts?).
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some very good points made here. However, perhaps the nature of the Time War was such that a Time Lord could not help but be involved whether or not he or she wanted to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some very good points made here. However, perhaps the nature of the Time War was such that a Time Lord could not help but be involved whether or not he or she wanted to.

True. But how could a war do that? Did the Time Lords activate a full TARDIS return signal? They can bring TARDISes back to Gallifrey by command you see, so returning all of them wouldn't be to hard.

But I bet it would have been fun to see the Doc, the Master and the Rani team up. :D
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to be pedantic: Omega was a Gallifreyan, but he was not a Time Lord. There were no Time Lords when Omega was banished to the anti-matter universe, as his apparent death was the event that enabled the Gallifreyans to become Time Lords.

Also, everyone seems to have forgotten Drax and Cho-Je, which is deeply unfair, I think...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    The Master was never flat out shown to be killed. He was just sealed away in the Time War with the rest of them.

Killing the Emperor appears to make you their new president based on what the Master said, so it's possible the Timelords gave him a new body (Simm or not) and he'll return with them one day as their leader.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    And Susan's dead as far as the Doctor knows.

Doc 9 said he used to be a Father and Grandfather too and now has lost both in reply to that Doctor guy in the empty child.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to be pedantic: Omega was a Gallifreyan, but he was not a Time Lord. There were no Time Lords when Omega was banished to the anti-matter universe, as his apparent death was the event that enabled the Gallifreyans to become Time Lords.

Also, everyone seems to have forgotten Drax and Cho-Je, which is deeply unfair, I think...

It's not being unfair Tony, I used the top three known Time Lords I could think off as an example. I'd genuinely forgotten about the ones you and others have mentioned, so thanks for reminding us of them!!! :)
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah — actual children he can take or leave; grandchildren he'll go to war for.

Speaking of which, Jenny from 2008 is a Time Lord that postdates the Doctor and is still around. So he's not the last by any measure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    Yeah — actual children he can take or leave; grandchildren he'll go to war for.

Speaking of which, Jenny from 2008 is a Time Lord that postdates the Doctor and is still around. So he's not the last by any measure.

No, Jenny is a clone with the DNA of a specific Time Lord, not a Time Lord herself.
  • Options
    hardylanehardylane Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just needs a writer or executive producer who wants the Timelords back, and they'll be back.

Russell made a silly mistake with the time war nonsense in my opinion.

Bringing them back last year was excellent, but badly executed.

So if they came back once, they'll be back again... along with the (possibly regenerated) Master, who's in there with them.
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hardylane wrote: »
    It just needs a writer or executive producer who wants the Timelords back, and they'll be back.

Russell made a silly mistake with the time war nonsense in my opinion.

Bringing them back last year was excellent, but badly executed.

So if they came back once, they'll be back again... along with the (possibly regenerated) Master, who's in there with them.

It was a waste to bring them back and then just get shot of them again, it could have been a huge drama and explain so much, but was just part of the furniture the way it was done, more or less a blink-or-you'll-miss-it moment with more time spent on the Master's latest problems and the beginning of Ten's farewell Tour. The Time Lords deserve a bit more repsect than that.
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talma wrote: »
    It was a waste to bring them back and then just get shot of them again, it could have been a huge drama and explain so much, but was just part of the furniture the way it was done, more or less a blink-or-you'll-miss-it moment with more time spent on the Master's latest problems and the beginning of Ten's farewell Tour. The Time Lords deserve a bit more repsect than that.

Yes, unfortunately much like the long-anticipated encounter between the Cybermen and the Daleks, what should have been a main course was relegated to a minor portion of a dog's breakfast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, Jenny is a clone with the DNA of a specific Time Lord, not a Time Lord herself.

Then what's your test for Time Lord? Is your argument that Susan isn't a Time Lord and that the Meddling Monk may or may not be?
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about Romana? As far as the TV show relates, she was left in E-Space with K9 fighting slave traders. I know some of the non-TV works deal with her later fate but, while I don't say they're not canon, they haven't been confirmed as canon on the show.
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member

Perhaps like salmon they were drawn back to their homeworld
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Then what's your test for Time Lord? Is your argument that Susan isn't a Time Lord and that the Meddling Monk may or may not be?
    Dont know what his thinking is but I thought being a time lord meant going to the academy and passing exams.
    so there would be people from gallifrey (plus off spring born elsewhere and clones), some of whom are in the elite and go to the posh school. Those are the time lords. We dont know about susan or the monk (time lords had not been invented back then). I like to think of the monk as one - another time lord drop out. I think of susan as having run away too young to have got the certificate. (I dont mind if the pre totters lane stuff remains a mystery forever.)

(going by the telly episodes - my knowledge of other stuff is poor - even worse than the telly stuff. I am sure someone will be along to tell us what the time lord test is .).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Also we see she can now regenerate and shes out there fighting the good cause buy the sound of it so i say she is the NEW bread of time lord evloution of the time lords!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    Dont know what his thinking is but I thought being a time lord meant going to the academy and passing exams.
    so there would be people from gallifrey (plus off spring born elsewhere and clones), some of whom are in the elite and go to the posh school. Those are the time lords. We dont know about susan or the monk (time lords had not been invented back then). I like to think of the monk as one - another time lord drop out. I think of susan as having run away too young to have got the certificate. (I dont mind if the pre totters lane stuff remains a mystery forever.)

(going by the telly episodes - my knowledge of other stuff is poor - even worse than the telly stuff. I am sure someone will be along to tell us what the time lord test is .).
    Yes, I'd say that's about right. Time Lord is a title, not a species designation, and therefore has to be bestowed, presumably on graduation. That much is made fairly clear in The Deadly Assassin and The Invasion of Time.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »

(going by the telly episodes - my knowledge of other stuff is poor - even worse than the telly stuff. I am sure someone will be along to tell us what the time lord test is .).[/QUOTE]

It's the Kobayashi Maru scenario. Oops, no, sorry, wrong programme. ;):D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ssj2matt wrote: »
    The Master was never flat out shown to be killed. He was just sealed away in the Time War with the rest of them.

People keep saying this, but there is no evidence what so ever to indicate this was what happened to him at the end of The End Of Time - it could have happened but it depends on how a future writer would want to bring him back.

All we know is that the Doctor got up and The Master was gone...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People keep saying this, but there is no evidence what so ever to indicate this was what happened to him at the end of The End Of Time - it could have happened but it depends on how a future writer would want to bring him back.

All we know is that the Doctor got up and The Master was gone...

I think he nipped out the back way and got on a bus.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he nipped out the back way and got on a bus.

I think you remembered me saying that last time I made the point that I made a couple of postings ago
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I'd say that's about right. Time Lord is a title, not a species designation, and therefore has to be bestowed, presumably on graduation. That much is made fairly clear in The Deadly Assassin and The Invasion of Time.

Without having the time to find suitable references, I'd argue that the television programme has variously argued both ways and that you're cherry picking quotes to support just one side of the argument. It's most valid to say that being a Time Lord may be genetic, may be honorary.