Options

The Valeyard - Please Clarify

2»

Comments

• Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    In the Trial of a Timelord series with Colin Baker, the Master says that the Valeyard is created between the Doctor's 12th and 13th regenerations.

David Tennant regenerated twice - this has been killing me. Does this mean that when the Doctor is killed in TIA that the Valeyard is created? Is the little girl the Valeyard? With the kill shot, does the little girl in the space suit take the regeneration energy?

Or am I being a moron?

Someone else may have already said this, but it wasn't specified which number the final regeneration was for this. The Valeyard was from between the 12th and final regeneration - no numerical property was given to it.

So it could be from any regeneration from the next one until his 507th...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The High Council of Time Lords controlled the number of regenerations, Rassilon was said to have limited it to 12. The Master was granted a new cycle of regeneration in The Five Doctors.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zarius wrote: »
    Me too. Rani and Omega didnt really have good stories either, so I have to wonder why anyone would want them back...perhaps it's their concepts that make them appealing, I don't know

While Omega's stories weren't done very well, he was a fascinating and in many ways a sympathetic character. In the last episode of Arc of Infinity, you felt his joy at being able to walk around and enjoy really living again - which only made it more horribly sad when he began to degrade.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    The High Council of Time Lords controlled the number of regenerations, Rassilon was said to have limited it to 12. The Master was granted a new cycle of regeneration in The Five Doctors.

No, he was promised a new cycle of regeneration if he was successful in rescuing the Doctor. Rassilon however sent him to God knows where (Sarn maybe) and it's unlikely he ever got back to Gallifrey to get another cycle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I see the Valeyard in the same light as Cho-Je, the Watcher and Doctor 10.5 - metacrisis creations (with 10.5 being a retrograde creation and the others being a forward 'projection') - They're partly a reflection of the original Time Lord with a limited life-span, one heart but the capability of housing a Time Lord's mind (unlike Donna) within their limited-Time Lord/single life body.
    With forward projections, the creature ceased to exist if-and-when their 'parent' Time Lord regenerates into their likeness (absorbing their projections memories, maybe?) like in Planet of the Spiders/Logopolis (although why the Watcher didn't have a full form still baffles me). It would make sense that the Valeyard wants not just independence from the Doctor, but his remaining lives as his is a limited life, destined to be absorbed by the Doctor if-and-when the Doctor regenerates into whatever the Valeyard really looks like (lest we forget, he's a master of disguise - what is his real face?).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    I think (and I hate analysing something to death, unlike some people on here) that the Timelords brought the Valeyard into being from the Doctor's darkest side.
  • Options
    DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    Ibdolent wrote: »
    I think (and I hate analysing something to death, unlike some people on here) that the Timelords brought the Valeyard into being from the Doctor's darkest side.

Not sure it would have been the Timelords, the Inquisitor seemed as shocked as the Doctor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ibdolent wrote: »
    I think (and I hate analysing something to death, unlike some people on here).

Hey, that's one of my hobbies there :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    Bass_Cadet wrote: »
    Hey, that's one of my hobbies there :D

Touche!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    I agree with every word. It always seems to me that because there is virtually no real continuity in any old series stories, they're better off drawing a line under it all and starting almost from scratch with a bit more consistency. As for the Valeyard, the Rani and Omega, those names are only really meaningful for hard-core fans, I think. I mean, I know a lot of people who watch and like Doctor Who, but they would have no idea who those characters are so bringing them back would be all but pointless and totally lacking in dramatic impact. I was never crazy about the Rani or Omega anyway, to be quite honest.

...the fan in me isn't adverse to a 5oth anniversary Dr who story that features other Dr's but a 2 hander with Paul McGann would be great against the Daleks in a really good script for a Dalke show for a change.