Sam Callagham "I feel like I am the new Rylan Clark and Gary Barlow's punch bag"

Comments

• DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    I'm aware of the amount of "freedom" allowed in this kind of shows, but Gary's comment and reaction were obviously not scripted, otherwise they wouldn't have drawn so much hate, after the show, from the behalf of Sam's family.
    And Gary's face when Sam started singing....sorry, I saw him act and he's an awful actor. That shock on his face was genuine.
    As other contestants who have left the show have confessed, there is a list of 3 or more songs the mentors can choose from. Louis chose the song on purpose and Sam went along with it, if he didn't pick the song himself.

Oh puhleeze - OTT much? Hate from his family? Are you for real? And as for Gary's expression - could not have been more scripted if they tried. They just happened to pick that song, they just happened to catch his face at the right time and they just happened to write a really critical reaction for Gary. And you act as if poor Gary was blindsided. :eek:

We know you are a huge Gary fan but you need to remember he chose to sell his soul to the X Factor. That means going along with what the producers want. That is why he went along with Frankie being picked on his first year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    Of course Gary knew. How ridiculous. The acts have rehearsals all day on Saturday and the judges are all there to see it! The bloody public know about the song before the show so as if the judges didn't. Honestly. The fact that you think he was surprised is just laughable.
  • amanda daisyamanda daisy Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    StageDive wrote: »
    Of course Gary knew. How ridiculous. The acts have rehearsals all day on Saturday and the judges are all there to see it! The bloody public know about the song before the show so as if the judges didn't. Honestly. The fact that you think he was surprised is just laughable.

I never said that Gary didn't know he was going to perform that song. Don't put words in my mouth. Of course he knew, but what was he supposed to do? Forbid Sam from singing it? He made his views very clear on people taking on TT songs. From there, it's their decision what to do and at their own risk. Of course the whole thing was set up. Louis knew perfectly well what he was doing. He knew that Sam wouldn't be able to sing that song and he knew he would get a harsh critique from Gary. That was what he wanted all along. Both Louis and Sam are fully aware that only sympathy votes from little girls will keep Sam in the competition.
    But allow me to disagree with the fact that Gary's reaction was scripted.
  • EdgarKEdgarK Posts: 1,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    earldbest wrote: »
    There's critiquing the performance: "That was pitchy, the staging was whatever, blahblahblah"

and there's just being nasty: "Everyone else is so much better than you."

The latter is a PERSONAL attack (rather than a simple critique of the PERFORMANCE) and that rubbed people off the wrong way.

Not an attack at all, just stating the truth of the matter as Gary perceived it. If I were in Sam's place and Gary were being very kind indeed, he might say the same to me. I'm just not much of a singer and there's no straightforward remedy for that which would allow me to compete with the other performers (well, maybe except Abi :eek: ) as a vocalist. Sam has the same problem. There's nothing unduly "personal" about putting one's finger on it.
    Forum Member
    Daewos wrote: »
    Oh puhleeze - OTT much? Hate from his family? Are you for real? And as for Gary's expression - could not have been more scripted if they tried. They just happened to pick that song, they just happened to catch his face at the right time and they just happened to write a really critical reaction for Gary. And you act as if poor Gary was blindsided. :eek:

We know you are a huge Gary fan but you need to remember he chose to sell his soul to the X Factor. That means going along with what the producers want. That is why he went along with Frankie being picked on his first year.

Yes, I am Gary's fan, but I've never got involved in threads where I thought people were disputing his comments justly.
    I probably don't agree with 80% of what he's saying on XF.
    Many people on this forum are someone's fans and they stand up for that someone when they think it's right.

If you don't think that this a genuine attack from Sam's sister, then I guess we just have different perceptions of what a normal reaction to a scripted comment should be:
    http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rqvsfb

"celebrity with an inflated ego enjoying making a game of verbally battering your little brother on live TV week after week;
    So angry that Gary got so spiteful last night;
    I just hope when Gary's children grow up and want to pursue a dream, some bigot with an agenda doesn't slam them on national television;
    Sam's had oversized egos try to knock him down in the past;
    I just wish Sam'd said 'Your mate Robbie told me to take no notice of you' on live TV. :p
    He might be part of Take That and have sold millions of records and written hundreds of songs, but let's not forget who had the better solo career. ;););)"

I'm sorry, but if this is how relatives of contestants react to a scripted comment in your country, then I'm speechless. This has never happened on our version of the show and, trust me, we have a really ars**** on the panel.
  • DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    Amanda - his sister was angry. She had just seen her little brother shot down on national television. She lashed out at the person she sees as responsible. And you know what - good on her. Family is all and you don't let anyone attack that family.

Whether she would have written the same once she had the chance to calm down, who knows? But I doubt that Gary was in the least bit concerned by what she said. Not as if it page one of the press over here.
  • Eve ElleEve Elle Posts: 6,507
    Forum Member
    Think Gary was just trying to put Sam in the firing line in an effort to stave off his own acts being eliminated. Pretty funny that it didn't work out that way though. :D
  • earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EdgarK wrote: »
    Not an attack at all, just stating the truth of the matter as Gary perceived it. If I were in Sam's place and Gary were being very kind indeed, he might say the same to me. I'm just not much of a singer and there's no straightforward remedy for that which would allow me to compete with the other performers (well, maybe except Abi :eek: ) as a vocalist. Sam has the same problem. There's nothing unduly "personal" about putting one's finger on it.

I don't think it's any truth at all. Considering that Kingsland Road didn't do so well earlier, it became very clear that he was protecting his act. It's like what Louis did to Lloyd when Jedward were on their way out. His lousy delivery (look back at how Simon puts down contestants; it's better and it doesn't sound petty) rubbed people off the wrong way because it sounded like a personal attack rather than a remark aout the performance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I am Gary's fan, but I've never got involved in threads where I thought people were disputing his comments justly.
    I probably don't agree with 80% of what he's saying on XF.
    Many people on this forum are someone's fans and they stand up for that someone when they think it's right.

If you don't think that this a genuine attack from Sam's sister, then I guess we just have different perceptions of what a normal reaction to a scripted comment should be:
    http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rqvsfb

"celebrity with an inflated ego enjoying making a game of verbally battering your little brother on live TV week after week;
    So angry that Gary got so spiteful last night;
    I just hope when Gary's children grow up and want to pursue a dream, some bigot with an agenda doesn't slam them on national television;
    Sam's had oversized egos try to knock him down in the past;
    I just wish Sam'd said 'Your mate Robbie told me to take no notice of you' on live TV. :p
    He might be part of Take That and have sold millions of records and written hundreds of songs, but let's not forget who had the better solo career. ;););)"

I'm sorry, but if this is how relatives of contestants react to a scripted comment in your country, then I'm speechless. This has never happened on our version of the show and, trust me, we have a really ars**** on the panel.

It's family (if you have a sibling, imagine your reaction if I started calling them a **** or something), and if you take a step back, the problem lies mainly on how Gary DELIVERED the remark. It sounded very petty and far off from Simon's usual way of putting down contestants.
    Forum Member
    amanda daisy, you've also completely chopped up that quote for your own benefit. I think the full quote is actually very eloquently written.
    Urgh, the hardest thing to do, to sit by and watch a celebrity with an inflated ego enjoying making a game of verbally battering your little brother on live TV week after week, when he is trying his little socks off.

So angry that Gary got so spiteful last night and it stinks of tactics. There was no need for 'Everyone is better than you.' It wasn't constructive criticism, which is what they are there to give, it was hurtful for the sake of being hurtful. Those judges aren't there to just strip the contestants of their confidence. Low blow Gaz. Yet still Sam handles himself impeccably. Couldn't be more proud.
    I just hope when Gary's children grow up and want to pursue a dream, some bigot with an agenda doesn't slam them on national television. I wonder how he would feel then.

But we've been here before and Sam's had oversized egos try to knock him down in the past... And if he'd listened to all of the 'you can't's he wouldn't be where he is now. He'll get up and fight harder and he's already bouncing back and dusting himself off.

He might be part of Take That and have sold millions of records and written hundreds of songs, but let's not forget who had the better solo career. ;););)
    Rant over.

Please vote for our boy. Every vote counts!
    Call: 65051 04

To be honest Id have probably been much less polite if it were my kids/family/brother/sister someone was targetting. You simply cant blame a family member for defending their loved ones. Its completely natural.

Ive also responded to you on the other thread but seeing as youve not seen it or chosen not to reply, I'll put it here too.
    Firstly, well done for posting Sam's skinny dip video, which he did for Teenage Cancer Trust. Here's a video of 400 people skinny dipping for charity, shall we hate on them too?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xISl4tSHKCQ
    And do you also want to post the other how-ever-many things he did for charity in the same month?

Secondly, I don't actually see anything terrible in what Sam's sister posted. Do you have brothers and sisters? Or someone you love unconditionally? They are the words of a protective big sister who is clearly hurting for her brother. You are clearly a Gary fan and get riled by bad things being said about him. Now multiply that ten fold and imagine how you'd feel when someone hates on your family.

I have a younger brother and a younger sister and if anybody was as saying things to either of them I too would be jumping to their defence. If his own sister cant defend him, who can? and christ, she hardly said anything worse than they things people say on here about contestants and other celebrities. In fact, I think she was very eloquent, measured yet ballsy in her response. Are you saying you wouldn't jump to your somone you loves defence if they were going through this? It must be so hard, as the relatives of someone getting Gary isn't a God, he isn't above critihe is just a celebrity and it doesnt matter how famous or successful you are, a bit of tact costs nothing and I think that's what Gary lost the other night.

Thirdly what is all this rubbish about Sam coming across arrogant and cocky? I really feel like some people are watching a different show to me sometimes? In the 'real world' all I hear is people saying how well he comes across and how professionally he is acting. He has behaved so well as far as I can see. He never bites back or sulks or cries, unlike some of the others. He just goes 'ok thank you.' and goes off and works harder the next week.

He was given a place on that show. The producers or whoever decided that he should be there. That isn't his fault. All he can do is go out there and perform every week. And lets face it the poor boy looked like a frightened rabbit having singing that song to Gary on Saturday, so do we really think he chose it??

Sorry this is a bit off topic and really long.

ETA: Jesus, sorry guys. That turned into a novel.
    Forum Member
    Daewos wrote: »
    Amanda - his sister was angry. She had just seen her little brother shot down on national television. She lashed out at the person she sees as responsible. And you know what - good on her. Family is all and you don't let anyone attack that family.

Whether she would have written the same once she had the chance to calm down, who knows? But I doubt that Gary was in the least bit concerned by what she said. Not as if it page one of the press over here.

We know. She claimed yesterday she stood by what she had said.
    It's true that Gary probably couldn't care less about what Sam's sister or fans had to say, but that doesn't make it ok.

OK, everyone has a different point of view on this matter. We'll just have to agree to disagree. I just believe that there were harsher comments over the years from the judges than "you're the worst singer in this competition" and they didn't get this much stick. Plus, Gary explained afterwards what he meant by it, but that doesn't seem to count. Nicole basically said the same thing as Gary, but once again Gary is the only one taking all the heat - both from Sam and the audience.
    The only reason I'm commenting on this thread is because I believe that Sam is trying to pose as a victim and he's pretending to be someone he's not and I find that hypocrisy very off-putting. Only time will tell if I'm right or wrong.
    Forum Member
    What show are you watching? In what way is he posing as the victim? Who is he pretending to be? I don't think I've ever seen such a gracious contestant! Completely setting his ability aside for a second, he is still a human being and a young one at that and every week he gets the harshest comments yet apparently still works the hardest and he just stands there, takes it on the chin and then thanks the judges and responds tactfully and respectfully.
    For the first time he dared to say a little something on xtra the other night and suddenly hes acting the victim?
    And then youve got Abi who cries at the drop of a hat and Hannah and Tamera who sulk. Seriously? Give the kid a break. What do you want for him? For him to apologise for being on the show?

And you didnt answer my question. Do you have brothers or sisters?
    Forum Member
    Also its all over all the daytime TV shows about how harsh Gary was the other night, so I think most people are in agreement that actually, Sam did get tough criticism and did take it well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We know. She claimed yesterday she stood by what she had said.
    It's true that Gary probably couldn't care less about what Sam's sister or fans had to say, but that doesn't make it ok.

OK, everyone has a different point of view on this matter. We'll just have to agree to disagree. I just believe that there were harsher comments over the years from the judges than "you're the worst singer in this competition" and they didn't get this much stick. Plus, Gary explained afterwards what he meant by it, but that doesn't seem to count. Nicole basically said the same thing as Gary, but once again Gary is the only one taking all the heat - both from Sam and the audience.
    The only reason I'm commenting on this thread is because I believe that Sam is trying to pose as a victim and he's pretending to be someone he's not and I find that hypocrisy very off-putting. Only time will tell if I'm right or wrong.

Now you're trying to make Gary the victim? :p

Once again, it's DELIVERY DELIVERY DELIVERY. His manner of saying came off as very petty and vindictive. Simon says those things with a hint of whimsicality and a dash of his trademark snark; Gary was straight up and that makes for very bad TV. Nicole was more constructive and presented things better; she's been the one interpreting Gary's remarks in a more palatable form since the start of the Live shows and you're shocked that Nicole's getting none of it?
  • zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    Also its all over all the daytime TV shows about how harsh Gary was the other night, so I think most people are in agreement that actually, Sam did get tough criticism and did take it well.

I agree with you and i am happy his sister defended him. Gary was just trying to deflect from how bad his groups are.:)
  • Jessica_HambyJessica_Hamby Posts: 1,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I predicted this situation about 3 weeks ago in the ridiculously named "Sam Callahan - superstar in the making" thread.
    The funny thing is that he's been set up as a fall guy by TPTB already. All those comments about how his voice isn't very good are set ups for dumping him and when it happens it's going to be very cruel. He'll be forever remembered as the pretty boy who's voice wasn't good enough.

It was obvious what was going to happen and I got the dog's abuse for saying it.

As I retorted at the time, he's a singer who can't sing. What do you want me to do? Rub him with a kitten?
    Forum Member
    amanda daisy, you've also completely chopped up that quote for your own benefit. I think the full quote is actually very eloquently written.

To be honest Id have probably been much less polite if it were my kids/family/brother/sister someone was targetting. You simply cant blame a family member for defending their loved ones. Its completely natural.

Ive also responded to you on the other thread but seeing as youve not seen it or chosen not to reply, I'll put it here too.

ETA: Jesus, sorry guys. That turned into a novel.

I didn't chop that post at all. I posted the link so that everyone can read the whole message. If I wanted to distort it to my own benefit, I would have never posted the link.
    I underligned the bits that were significant for the point I was making, that's all. And no, I didn't choose to ignore you on the other thread, I just didn't have time to check it.
    I do have a sister and 2 brothers and believe it or not, I'd never "defend" any of them the way Sam's sister has.
    I have a different concept of what being "supportive" means.

I agree with you on 2 points: I don't think we're watching the same show and this has turned into a soap opera.
    If this is how people want to interpret things, fine by me: Gary was petty, by doing what he's paid to do, and Sam is a victim, the Rylan of this year.
    Forum Member
    You wouldn't defend your siblings? Wow. I don't really need to say any more to be honest. Except that Im glad you arent my sister. Id die for mine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eve Elle wrote: »
    Think Gary was just trying to put Sam in the firing line in an effort to stave off his own acts being eliminated. Pretty funny that it didn't work out that way though. :D

I doubt that. He was told to be critical for entertainment value. He, as do the producers, know full well what happens when you are critical of rubbish...they become the underdog and get voted for. This is why Rylan, Wagner etc lasted so long in the competition. Sam C is the closest thing they have to a joke act so they can't let him leave just yet. Gary was doing what was required of him to help the show ratings, just as he did last year with Rylan. People who go on about Gary being nasty really don't understand how the show works. He's paid to do a job which includes critiquing the contestants, entertaining the audience and keep ratings up...so that's what he did.
    Forum Member
    Now you're trying to make Gary the victim? :p

Once again, it's DELIVERY DELIVERY DELIVERY. His manner of saying came off as very petty and vindictive. Simon says those things with a hint of whimsicality and a dash of his trademark snark; Gary was straight up and that makes for very bad TV. Nicole was more constructive and presented things better; she's been the one interpreting Gary's remarks in a more palatable form since the start of the Live shows and you're shocked that Nicole's getting none of it?

You don't need to shout the word. If you had read my post carefully, I said that there was no difference in Nicole and Gary's deliveries.
    For you, Gary's delivery might have been worse, for me it was the same. How was Nicole constructive? She just said that the song exposed how weak his voice is. Where's the constructive part? I never said Gary was a victim. Again, you're twisting my words. I was just saying that if you have to lay the blame on someone why not be fair all the way and blame ALL the parties involved? In the end, the essence is the same, but you all seem more concerned with the form.
    I'll refrain from commenting on Cowell, because I simply can't stand the man and I wouldn't find any good word for him.
    Wow,it seems that in your opinion Nicole is above criticism, but you accuse me of defending Gary? Don't worry, I'm not "shocked" by anything on this forum.
    "Petty" and "vindictive"? And you think I'm misinterpreting things?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I predicted this situation about 3 weeks ago in the ridiculously named "Sam Callahan - superstar in the making" thread.

It was obvious what was going to happen and I got the dog's abuse for saying it.

As I retorted at the time, he's a singer who can't sing. What do you want me to do? Rub him with a kitten?

Clawed or de-clawed? :D
  • Pete WatermelonPete Watermelon Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    alexjr2 wrote: »
    Poor Sam Callanhan, I think Gary has finally got to him.

http://thetalentzone.co.uk/musictv/xfactor/3614/sam-callahan-thinks-he-might-be-the-new-rylan-clark-and-feels-he-has-become-gary-barlows-punch-bag/

It must be pretty hurtful to try so hard to improve yourself to achieve a dream, and then have someone constantly telling you you're no good.

Did you not go to school? How many spelling chances would you like? :rolleyes:
  • EdgarKEdgarK Posts: 1,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's any truth at all. Considering that Kingsland Road didn't do so well earlier, it became very clear that he was protecting his act. It's like what Louis did to Lloyd when Jedward were on their way out. His lousy delivery (look back at how Simon puts down contestants; it's better and it doesn't sound petty) rubbed people off the wrong way because it sounded like a personal attack rather than a remark aout the performance.

You've only reminded me there of how Simon put down Storm Lee, for instance - now there was a personal attack, calling the guy's name stupid and endeavouring to hold him up to ridicule. Gary on Saturday said perfectly politely what he thought, and what a great many others will have thought, about Sam's singing prowess and its consequences at this stage of the competition.
    Forum Member
    You wouldn't defend your siblings? Wow. I don't really need to say any more to be honest. Except that Im glad you arent my sister. Id die for mine.

Please stop assuming things about me and what I'd do and please stop twisting what I say. It seems to be a common problem around here. I never said I wouldn't defend my siblings, I just said that I have a different concept of what support means. If you can't see a difference between the 2 things, then you're right, this dialogue is pointless. I was never taught to lose my manners when standing up for someone and I'm very grateful for that.
    I'm also grateful that I haven't been raised to believe that my dear ones have to indulge my delusions, as a sign of love.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EdgarK wrote: »
    You've only reminded me there of how Simon put down Storm Lee, for instance - now there was a personal attack, calling the guy's name stupid and endeavouring to hold him up to ridicule. Gary on Saturday said perfectly politely what he thought, and what a great many others will have thought, about Sam's singing prowess and its consequences at this stage of the competition.

Exactly...he prefaced it by stating Sam was a nice lad. He was doing his job, being honest (he isn't always, admittedly), and did it pretty politely. The lad IS the weakest singer in the contest. It got everyone talking about the show anyway, so I'm sure the producers and Simon Cowell are happy with Gary.