Comments

• chrisqcchrisqc Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overtook Katy Perry on at #1 on USA Itunes
  • northernslayernorthernslayer Posts: 3,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so try-hard but its all working for her lol. sick to death of seeing her tongue.
  • revans33revans33 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like the video and the nudity was done quite tastefully in my opinion.

The licking of the hammer on the other hand ruins what is a very good video...so close Miley, so close.

I thought the hammer licking was meant to represent her still craving the destructive relationship despite the heartbreak it was putting her though. Although maybe I'm overestimating the thought put into it.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    don't you ever say I just walked away I will always want you
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,204
    Forum Member
    What's with her tongue?
    That video is so gratuitous, so classless. It is such a reductive video to what appears to be a a somewhat emotional track.
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How will they even be able to air this video ? it will be so edited there will be no point even showing it.

I think she is quite pathetic really, it's sad seeing people go this way just to get a bit more attention.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,204
    Forum Member
    It's like Rihanna's S&M all over again except Wrecking Ball will be ok for radio unlike S&M.
  • Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just going to come out and say it. I love Miley Cyrus, and this video.

Sure she's completely shameless and we know how contrived she is but she's doing what a popstar should, she has the media in the palm of her hand and the views for this video proves how successful she is in getting herself known.

Most of all she's actually delivering quality pop music to back up her image. This is a great song and contrast to WCS, the video is a great representation of the song too with her being naked and "wrecking" stuff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she is hot
    that is all
  • Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd wreck her!
  • ShellsBluBikiniShellsBluBikini Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know about the whole naked video displaying the vurnerability of the song angle. Her Dad, the Artist Billy Ray Cyrus had one the ultimate songs of vulnerabilty, Achy Breaky Heart. He felt the discreet flash of his mullet was enough to get the song across on video.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    I've noticed a lot of defenders of the nudity in 'Wrecking Ball' have said that Rihanna's 'Stay' features it too, but the context is so different.

In 'Stay', Rihanna isn't trying to be erotic or sexual, you get through the video that she's broken emotionally and her acting furthers that impression. I never once thought "she's just trying to be provocative", it was very classy.

Yet in 'Wrecking Ball' we have Miley grinding on a wrecking ball whilst naked, trying to be provocative and erotic, as well as licking the sledgehammer. There's no emotional weakness or destruction being shown in her facial expressions either. Whereas Rihanna's nudity is portrayed with elegance (which is not a word I normally would use for her), Miley's is portrayed as just another excuse to be overly-sexual and trying to be erotic.
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If she wants progression, I guess we'll see her insides in the next video?...
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sure she's completely shameless and we know how contrived she is but she's doing what a popstar should, she has the media in the palm of her hand and the views for this video proves how successful she is in getting herself known.

Most of all she's actually delivering quality pop music to back up her image. This is a great song and contrast to WCS, the video is a great representation of the song too with her being naked and "wrecking" stuff.

So every pop star should get naked in their vids just to get a bit more attention :confused: Every knew who Miley Cyrus was anyway so why bother going this way ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    So every pop star should get naked in their vids just to get a bit more attention :confused: Every knew who Miley Cyrus was anyway so why bother going this way ?

I find her antics a bit tiresome to be honest, but Miley clearly wants attention and being naked is just an easy way for her to get it. And it's not just about attention - it's the fact that getting all this media attention and getting everyone talking about her will help her chart positions and sales figures.

Everyone knew who Miley Cyrus was when she released 'Can't Be Tamed', but the singles off that album didn't do nearly as well as 'We Can't Stop' has, nor did she get anywhere near as much media attention for them. Sure, 'We Can't Stop' probably would've done OK anyway, but I doubt that she would've had as much attention and public interest without the new look, without the twerking, without the drug references and without the controversial VMA performance. Similarly, 'Wrecking Ball' probably wouldn't have shot up the iTunes chart and broken the Vevo record on YouTube were she not naked in the video. And as someone else said, YouTube views count towards charts in the US - so the more attention she gets for that video, the better for her.

Of course, people will probably get sick of her and her attention-seeking (plenty already are!), but for now, it's working pretty well for her.
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    embryo wrote: »
    I find her antics a bit tiresome to be honest, but Miley clearly wants attention and being naked is just an easy way for her to get it. And it's not just about attention - it's the fact that getting all this media attention and getting everyone talking about her will help her chart positions and sales figures.

Everyone knew who Miley Cyrus was when she released 'Can't Be Tamed', but the singles off that album didn't do nearly as well as 'We Can't Stop' has, nor did she get anywhere near as much media attention for them. Sure, 'We Can't Stop' probably would've done OK anyway, but I doubt that she would've had as much attention and public interest without the new look, without the twerking, without the drug references and without the controversial VMA performance. Similarly, 'Wrecking Ball' probably wouldn't have shot up the iTunes chart and broken the Vevo record on YouTube were she not naked in the video. And as someone else said, YouTube views count towards charts in the US - so the more attention she gets for that video, the better for her.

Of course, people will probably get sick of her and her attention-seeking (plenty already are!), but for now, it's working pretty well for her.

I agree that it's a great short term plan to get attention & sales.

But it's problematic long term...
    There is always the question of "how can she top that next time?" & sooner than later, it will feel like a failed attempt at creating buzz anew... A bit like Lady Gaga right now.
    And attention seekers annoy people rather fast too.

But few pop singers really have long careers anyway, Miley has already had a bigger career than many singers as it is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    I like the video, but it's because of Terry.

What Miley's doing is completely contrived, but if someone with a bit more ''credibility'' did this exact same video but to their own song it'd be praised. Terry's done a good job, and I feel as though Miley and her song were just a medium for his idea.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she wants progression, I guess we'll see her insides in the next video?...

Robbie Williams has already done that :)

The video is a bit rubbish, really. She might have been able to pull off coming across as vulnerable if she had just been naked but sitting naked on a wrecking ball (and licking a sledgehammer??) reduced the imagery to a cheesy burlesque routine.

I'm not really sure what sort of message she (or the video director) was trying to convey, to be honest.

And the song's typical girly pop so it has nothing to recommend it over the thousands of other pop songs from female artists over the last five years.
  • jazzyminajazzymina Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    why is she trying to lick the hammer thing?? the video is rubbish and one of the worst music videos ever....
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sure she's completely shameless and we know how contrived she is but she's doing what a popstar should, she has the media in the palm of her hand and the views for this video proves how successful she is in getting herself known

Change the bit in bold to "the media have her in the palm of their hand". This is exactly what they want, and popstars NEVER control the media - the media make and break them. Miley will learn that sooner rather than later.
  • Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ivor Fanny wrote: »

I wouldn't want to see her nude tbh .

She's on the level of GaGa in the looks department .

GeekUgjy .
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The video is ridiculous. She's just trying way to hard now. But the song is great, I love it. Even We Can't Stop has grown on me now (now I've just about forgotten what the video was like!)

I still can't stand her though. She's annoying as hell.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the song but the video just seems mismatched. She's obviously trying to shake the whole Hannah Montana thing by trying to shock audiences and get publicity. I guess its worked, but as annushka points out longer term it may not be such a good career move.
  • fugitivefugitive Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen the video on Chart Show TV and it was butchered to shreds! No tonguing the hammer and most of the nude bits on the "wrecking ball" were edited out.

Not sure why really as you can really see any of her bits.