Options

Should we switch to Virgin.

harry hamsterharry hamster Posts: 1,813
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

We currently have Sky plus HD multi room for £75 per month. BT anytime package plus infinty broadband average £50 per month. Virgin have quoted the VIP package for £64 per month with line rental for first 6 months then rises to £114 per month. So is the small monthly saving worth it ? Been with SKY since 94 and BT since the 70s.

Comments

• Options
    RyanC1992RyanC1992 Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What internet speeds do you currently get?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Hi,

We currently have Sky plus HD multi room for £75 per month. BT anytime package plus infinty broadband average £50 per month. Virgin have quoted the VIP package for £64 per month with line rental for first 6 months then rises to £114 per month. So is the small monthly saving worth it ? Been with SKY since 94 and BT since the 70s.

yeh,the few months u save with virgin media,then it goes higher than sky/bt.. is it really worth it? no..
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psouth wrote: »
    yeh,the few months u save with virgin media,then it goes higher than sky/bt.. is it really worth it? no..

How does £75+£50 equal higher than £114?
  • Options
    dannylaudannylau Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    £75+£50=£125 I think you will find £125 is higher than £114
  • Options
    CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

We. Should do really but can't be bothered,

But I'm sure SKY will catch up with Virgin soon so maybe best to stay.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Think you meant

How does £114 equal higher than £75+£50 :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Don't forget on Virgin VIP you get 100mb B/B and all calls including 0870 0845 mobiles etc. included

Sky don't offer that not sure about BT

Also Line rental saver £120 for the year

Virgin makes more sense if you are looking to save and compromise on the TV a little bit
  • Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    Don't forget on Virgin VIP you get 100mb B/B and all calls including 0870 0845 mobiles etc. included

Sky don't offer that not sure about BT

Also Line rental saver £120 for the year

Virgin makes more sense if you are looking to save and compromise on the TV a little bit

Nope, Talk Size XL Extra Phone Talk Unlimited Plus with Virgin, as it does not cover all 0870/0845/08 numbers you shall need to get Talk 08 with MultiTalk and Size XL Phone Talk Unlimited
    or with just Size XL Phone Talk Unlimited at a cost of £5 extra a month

Details Here http://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/010313Residential-Phone-Review-V1.pdf
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi,

try virgin media just for a year.. if u don't like it,change it all back..nothing to lose..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    try virgin media just for a year.. if u don't like it,change it all back..nothing to lose..

That's not what you said yesterday, had you forgotten?

Also, VM is an 18 month contract, not 12 month.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member

Yes but the chances of Virgin not increasing their charges during that period and therefore giving you an out is pretty slim.

Three increases in 12 months saw me move TV to Sky and if BT ever update my exchange I'll be moving broadband and phone supplier!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Nope, Talk Size XL Extra Phone Talk Unlimited Plus with Virgin, as it does not cover all 0870/0845/08 numbers you shall need to get Talk 08 with MultiTalk and Size XL Phone Talk Unlimited
    or with just Size XL Phone Talk Unlimited at a cost of £5 extra a month

Details Here http://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/010313Residential-Phone-Review-V1.pdf

Nope you are wrong it clearly states on the VIP package that it includes unimited calls to 0870 / 0845 and mobiles

Link below
    http://store.virginmedia.com/bundles/vip.html
  • Options
    ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was bottom in school for Maths, but even I know that £50 plus £75 makes £125, and that is greater than £114:)
  • Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    Nope you are wrong it clearly states on the VIP package that it includes unimited calls to 0870 / 0845 and mobiles

Link below
    http://store.virginmedia.com/bundles/vip.html

You have seemed to miss the point, not all 08 numbers are included even all 0845 and 0870 numbers are not included for example 0871 numbers are not included

That is why I posted my Link to anyone can look at the PDF document and decide what package(s) are right for them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have seemed to miss the point, not all 08 numbers are included even all 0845 and 0870 numbers are not included for example 0871 numbers are not included

That is why I posted my Link to anyone can look at the PDF document and decide what package(s) are right for them

Since when has an 0871 number been an 0845 or an 0870 number, which is what Stuart_Russell said the pack covered, for which you said he was wrong?

He never said 08 numbers, clearly said 0845/0870 numbers.

• Options
    Forum Member

yeh yeh,i know what I said..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    Since when has an 0871 number been an 0845 or an 0870 number, which is what Stuart_Russell said the pack covered, for which you said he was wrong?

He never said 08 numbers, clearly said 0845/0870 numbers.

joshua_welby is the village idiot. You'll get used to him.
  • Options
    harry hamsterharry hamster Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky have offered combined pakage for £85.00 for 18 months. Quite happy with that. If you don't ask you don't get.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In short, no. My family have had no end of problems since they became Virgin Media, and my parents switched to Sky this weekend after about 30 years of having cable due to endless problems (They have been through Croydon Cable, United Artists, Telewest and now Virgin Media- Same service but changed companies). My wife and I switched to Sky about 6 years ago because of endless problems. Virgin Media's customer services are dire. My parents have said to me that the deal they are getting with Sky is better than that of the one they have with Virgin and far cheaper, after they were on the phone to Virgin Media for an hour making a complaint about the service (or lack of). It is a fact of horses for courses. No doubt others have a better experience. For me though I would say no, steer clear of Virgin Media.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    I've just started a thread on another forum (am not on here often enough to know where's best!) and been advised to pop on here.

After years with Sky, we had Virgin installed yesterday and I am already regretting it. I find the TV system awkward to use and very frustrating.

I'm not fussed on broadband speeds etc, I just want to watch decent tv.

I've come on here looking for some positives that I hadn't considered, but I haven't found any.
  • Options
    Tavis75Tavis75 Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just started a thread on another forum (am not on here often enough to know where's best!) and been advised to pop on here.

After years with Sky, we had Virgin installed yesterday and I am already regretting it. I find the TV system awkward to use and very frustrating.

I've come on here looking for some positives that I hadn't considered, but I haven't found any.

What TV system have you got, TiVo? In which case it offers many advantages over Sky+. It doesn't forget series links when a series finishes, so it will automatically record the next series, it automatically reschedules recording clashes, you can record three channels at once and it allows you to set up wish-lists, that will record programs that feature certain people, or subjects etc. Plus of course there are things like the apps and on demand if you're interested in those.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've come on here looking for some positives that I hadn't considered, but I haven't found any

The most positive thing i got when i did the same, was a letter from Sky offering me to come back for 75% discount (Sky World at £13.95). I still have the Tivo on a lower package, but use Sky much more, probably as that is what i was used to, but i found the Tivo so slow.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    Thanks Sodafountain!

I've just tried to resume watching something on catchup - after taking 10 minutes to find it in the first place - only to find there's no 'resume'. SO frustrating!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    10 literal minutes? You just type the program title in the search box...
  • Options
    stairwaystairway Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

Phone Virgin, say you are thinking of joining them, tell them what you have now, and see if they can better it. I've been with Virgin ever since they took over NTL, had no complaints from me