Rik Mayall RIP

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rik did appear at the end of Ade's Comic Relief dance in 2011 which is the last time they were ever on screen together.

They were also commissioned to write a 4th series of 'Bottom' but abandonded it after only writing one episode because i think it just wasn't working between them any more due to the changes in Rik after his accident.

I seem to recall hearing that Rik's responses weren't as quick when it came to the slapstick stuff. Imagine 'Bottom' without the physical comedy and it's a different show. Must've been heart-breaking for them to walk away from it, but maybe they felt it was best left in the past.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is such sad news, I loved watching Rik in Bottom and The Young Ones.

RIP Rik
  • Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rik did appear at the end of Ade's Comic Relief dance in 2011 which is the last time they were ever on screen together.

They were also commissioned to write a 4th series of 'Bottom' but abandonded it after only writing one episode because i think it just wasn't working between them any more due to the changes in Rik after his accident.

A shame, they were great together. I preferred Young Ones to Bottom, but it was still very good and made me laugh. :D
  • dulliredullire Posts: 20,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Rik.

Another taken too soon.
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    This is horrible, awful news. It's just not right.
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Horrible news.
  • cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    I am totally shocked

RIP Captain Flashheart
  • Meesh_RedshawMeesh_Redshaw Posts: 2,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching it on the news just now makes it all the more (tragically) real.

His own "Rik Mayall Presents..." series was awesome, especially Dancing Queen. One of my favourite films is Bring Me The Head of Mavis Davis...it bombed in cinemas but it was bloody brilliant. Rented it over and over on VHS at the time.

Everything he did was amazing.
  • Y MeY Me Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe Alan Beresford B'Stard is dead
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    So sad. I saw this on facebook earlier but assumed (hoping) it was one of those celebrity death hoaxes.
  • Georges GrunGeorges Grun Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The guy was a part of so much 80s/90s comedy it feels like the end of an era almost.
  • steven87gillsteven87gill Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really shocked me this. Only 56.

As an aside, the reason the TV version of Bottom: hooligans island never got made was simply Ade not wanting to do it anymore. Check out the interview with him here

Poor guy, must be kicking himself for that now :(

Rik Mayall, you were part of my childhood. A safe onward journey, bud.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    Bloody hell I'm properly, seriously gutted about this. It's like hearing an old friend has died.

Rik was a huge part of my childhood when I discovered Bottom (I think he'd appreciate that pun) and then later, when I got into his earlier stuff like the Young Ones and Filthy, Rich & Catflap, I realised what a versatile and amazing actor he was. I still go back to my Bottom boxset whenever I need cheering up (in fact, I was watching my favourie ep. Gas last night) because it's such a vibrant, anarchic world to immerse yourself in for half an hour.

He was a fantastic comic actor and, by all accounts from those who met him, a genuinley nice guy off-screen to boot. A real loss to the world of comedy today and one that has affected me more than I though it would.

R.I.P Rik :(

Same here. Am hugely shocked and saddened by this news. I saw him live on one of the Bottom tours, and he was just fantastic, the best bits were when he used to forget his lines or just go off script. During the show I saw, I was I. The front row and the guy next to me hadn't switched his phone off, it rang during the show and Rik Mayall stopped and made him answer the call and tell the caller where he was and what he was doing!

Celebrity deaths don't often shock me to this extent but I am struggling to take this one in. He used to live down here in Devon and was often seen out and about and people that met him often described him as "charming".

Thanks for the laughs Rik, sadly they have stopped all too soon.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ade has said this.

"There were times when Rik and I were writing together when we almost died laughing.
    They were some of the most carefree stupid days I ever had, and I feel privileged to have shared them with him.
    "And now he's died for real. Without me. Selfish bastard."
  • zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very sad news. R.I.P Rik.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    i remember his first appearance as kevin turvey on a tv show called A Kick up the Eighties he was so funny . i agree his comedy since has been top drawer but kevin turvey was his best alter ego in my opinion ..its the first time ever that a celeb of any kind including princess di has made me feel loss
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Shocked and sad to hear this. TYO, Blackadder and Bottom were my childhood/teens. Went to see Bottom Live in Glasgow about 20 years ago and we all got evacuated. Best of it was, the show featured a bomb on an island so when the alarm went off naebody moved. We all thought it was part of the show. Rik and Ade came back out and said "No really, you need to go!" :D Their improv when we came back in was bloody brilliant.
  • TexAveryWolfTexAveryWolf Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a loss.

Going to treat myself to an veining watching KEVIN TURVEY on youtube.

Genius.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Terrible news, i was a big fan

Outrageous that BBC 3 news just on, never even mentioned it.

RIP rik:(
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    When I was 13 he guest listed me for the Bad News tour
    Legend
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Ade has said this.

"There were times when Rik and I were writing together when we almost died laughing.
    They were some of the most carefree stupid days I ever had, and I feel privileged to have shared them with him.

I love this!
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but in most of Rik's shows a comedy death or a accident or deliberate injury. That would in real life cause death happens.

Falling to their deaths of a ferris wheel.
    Bus crashing over a cliff and blowing up
    Shot by Marksmen
    Smacked around the head with a Cricket bat
    Falling out of the window or off the roof over 3 floors up.
    Head chopped off by a train.

Plus many more ways of dying.

That was what made the comedy. real life expanded Looney Tunes/Tom and Jerry Violence plus great lines.
    We all know death happens but not everyone wants to treat it like a Looney Tunes cartoon no matter who it is that has passed on. I hope I'm wrong but I wonder what the TV schedulers will do in this case.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ade has said this.

That's brilliant. A perfect tribute from someone who probably knows him better than most.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    Ade has said this.

This statement has made me laugh and shed a tear at the same time!
  • nittynattynoonittynattynoo Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sunday tea times before bath and bed grimm tales on channel 4 narrated and acted out by Rik Mayall, wonderful memories of watching that, and then drop dead fred, blackadder, bottom,