Austerity and Coffee

123457»

Comments

• Musicman103Musicman103 Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been around on this planet for a fair amount of time and I don't remember "back in them days" observing people gasping for fancy coffee at high prices. People just drank some hot stuff. The drink was secondary to the conversation or the activity.

It seems that after a mixture of the 'feel good years' ie. cheap and easy credit + aggressive marketing campaigns, we have convinced people who may have merely 'liked' coffee, that it is now the single most important part of their day. Oh and "because they're worth it".
  • Dusk1983Dusk1983 Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been around on this planet for a fair amount of time and I don't remember "back in them days" observing people gasping for fancy coffee at high prices. People just drank some hot stuff. The drink was secondary to the conversation or the activity.

It seems that after a mixture of the 'feel good years' ie. cheap and easy credit + aggressive marketing campaigns, we have convinced people who may have merely 'liked' coffee, that it is now the single most important part of their day. Oh and "because they're worth it".

Nail on head, I reckon.
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member

People's habits change over time shock!
  • Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    To be honest, from this thread it seems like those who don't go to Costa have more issues than those who do. Such vitriol. :D

I sometimes go to Costa because I like drinking coffee (fancy that). I find people who slate Costa to be more pretentious, as they come out with things like "Costa coffee tastes so awful, I much prefer a proper independent coffee house, it's much more authentic, ya?"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People's habits can change, of course, but this thread is highlighting the formidable commercial forces behind 'their' change.
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the people who slate the coffee of the big chains could actually tell the difference between say Colombian and Honduran...
    Forum Member
    I sometimes walk around town with a take away Costa coffee, but it's because I don't want to sit in there drinking it by myself, as it's generally very busy and I'd feel too self conscious!

It has genuinely never crossed my mind that I might look "cool" with a Costa cup. Especially as I doubt anyone even notices it; I know I never pay any attention to what random people have in their hands as they go about their business.

But then I suppose it's much more fun to make assumptions about people from a bit of cardboard. :D
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if the people who slate the coffee of the big chains could actually tell the difference between say Colombian and Honduran...

Colombian has a nutty, almost sweet taste to it :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marketing's greatest trick is to make us feel in control of all our commercial choices.

It's not true, and you can tell by the fact something as previously mundane and take-it-or-leave-it as a simple hot drink has become something everyone wants, even aspires to, regardless of demographic.

An aspirational world has been created around a very banal item. We're not talking cutting edge technology like an iPad here. That's the genius of it.
    Forum Member
    Dusk1983 wrote: »
    Marketing's greatest trick is to make us feel in control of all our commercial choices.

It's not true, and you can tell by the fact something as previously mundane and take-it-or-leave-it as a simple hot drink has become something everyone wants, even aspires to, regardless of demographic.

An aspirational world has been created around a very banal item. We're not talking cutting edge technology like an iPad here. That's the genius of it.

Yeah, we're not in control of what we spend our money on. I often log onto my bank account and see money going out for things I don't recall buying. Then I realise I must have been hypnotised while out shopping.

How do you defend yourself from it, Dusk? Do you wear one of those tin foil hats that stops the radio waves coming through? Enquiring minds want to know.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

I really like Columbian coffee, it's smooth and slightly nutty.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Colombian has a nutty, almost sweet taste to it :D
    I really like Columbian coffee, it's smooth and slightly nutty.

I tend to drink Colombian myself:).
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Dusk1983 wrote: »

I suppose they've taken the mundane and made it (subjectively) interesting, tastier, broader, etc. It's not for everyone, of course. I've only ever been in one Starbucks (it was the only coffee available at a Uni open day I took my daughter to) and I felt overwhelmed by the menu and underwhelmed by the coffee. That's just me though, I'm not hugely into coffee. Nevertheless, I can't figure out what some people have got against others being into it.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,639
    Forum Member
    I think that coffee from Costa, Nero, Starbucks, and independent coffee shops is still seen as an affordable "luxury" in times of austerity.

Even though some, not all people are strapped for cash £2-£3 for a cup of coffee is not a massive outlay but it is a nice thing to do, meet a friend for a coffee, or stop off and get a coffee before heading into work etc.

It is a known trend that during hard financial times sales of luxuries don't go down, and often go up because they make people feel better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KidMoe wrote: »
    For many people it's because they like coffee. Simple as that.

Yep - I'm one of them, I love coffee and detest the dishwater drink that's described as coffee that's given in most cafes. Costa Coffee, for me, is the best and when I go into town, I always, without fail, will pop into Costa as a treat.

I find people who drink tea have much smellier breath than coffee drinkers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be honest, I'm not particularly a huge fan of the whole Starbucks culture. I don't particularly have anything against it, and for people who are into it, fair play to them. What I do like about Starbucks is their service.

I like my cappuccino extra dry, and not many places can get it right. Even Starbucks themselves struggle with it, however, if they don't get it right, you just tell them, and they try again, with no extra cost.

Sometimes they have to re-do it like four times, and they never get angry or anything. I feel a bit mean making them do it four times but like, what's the point of buying it, if it's not right..:o?

How on earth do you have an 'extra dry' coffee? :confused:
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HALibutt wrote: »

A cappuccino is one third espresso, one third steamed milk, and one third frothed milk. A dry cappuccino is espresso and the rest frothed milk.

No doubt someone's head is going to explode from the pretentiousness of it all. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

See below.
    epicurian wrote: »
    A cappuccino is one third espresso, one third steamed milk, and one third frothed milk. A dry cappuccino is espresso and the rest frothed milk.

No doubt someone's head is going to explode from the pretentiousness of it all. :p

It's not pretentious, that's how I received my cappuccino in Italy..:).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »

Oh, thank you for the explanation. I actually found that very interesting...:o

It's fascinating to watch those barristers, or whatever they're called - bit like watching a cocktail barmen doing his stuff. :)

Obviously I have no clue how to spell barrista, etc, etc. :o:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See below.

It's not pretentious, that's how I received my cappuccino in Italy..:).

I don't think that comment was meant for you - more the fire, I mean thread starter......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think that comment was about you - more the fire, I mean thread starter......

Oh I know. I was attempting to be pretentious, to try and be funny...clearly worked:o..
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Oh, thank you for the explanation. I actually found that very interesting...:o

It's fascinating to watch those barristers, or whatever they're called - bit like watching a cocktail barmen doing his stuff. :)

Obviously I have no clue how to spell barrista, etc, etc. :o:p

Oh you do have to be careful. We were very excited when my sister announced that she was going out with one of those guys. Imagine our disappointment when we found out that the emphasis was on the second and not the first syllable...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh you do have to be careful. We were very excited when my sister announced that she was going out with one of those guys. Imagine our disappointment when we found out that the emphasis was on the second and not the first syllable...

At least he could make you a decent coffee though. :D
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like going to Costa and buying a warmed tuna panini and a latte. I enjoy the taste of it.

That is all you need to know.