Options

Litter

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
What's the most type of litter you see?

There's a road in town that's not a main road or a busy one but it does like the town centre to another area and the road is full of McDonald's bags.

The road isn't that close to McD but I guess people, usually after a night out, goto the 24 hour McD then use this road to get home.

I drove up it yesterday and it was like someone took a bin from McD and scattered the contents of it down the road.

Comments

• Options
    Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here it's Polish beer cans, takeaway boxes and cigarette packets, and quite frankly this part of my town is a disgrace.

My road stays clean though, somehow.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Aye, I suppose pizza boxes at the weekend but they're usually on the main roads and the council clean them up regularly.
  • Options
    123keithy123123keithy123 Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Crisp Packets.
    Plastic bottles.
    Beer cans.
    Dirty nappies.
    Energy drink cans.
    Old or disused and broken toys.

They are the main things I see about.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plastic bottles, cans and those clear plastic wrappers. And the occasional plastic bag.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's pretty tidy where I am, but we have a school in the road I live in and the front gardens and driveways always end up with a variety of snack food and drink rubbish, even nappies.
    I can't see why parents can't just take the litter from the children and take it home, or explain to the children about littering.
    If the child doesn't know any different they will,carry on doing it.
    My neighbour saw a child throw an empty juice box out the car window the other day.
    The trains are pretty bad, Wednesday evening, apple cores, macdonalds, empty coke and water bottles, sandwich containers and that was just one carriage.
  • Options
    123keithy123123keithy123 Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    It's pretty tidy where I am, but we have a school in the road I live in and the front gardens and driveways always end up with a variety of snack food and drink rubbish, even nappies.
    I can't see why parents can't just take the litter from the children and take it home, or explain to the children about littering.
    If the child doesn't know any different they will,carry on doing it.
    My neighbour saw a child throw an empty juice box out the car window the other day.
    The trains are pretty bad, Wednesday evening, apple cores, macdonalds, empty coke and water bottles, sandwich containers and that was just one carriage.

I live opposite a school and you're post is nearly the same as mine...

Glad its not just me who notices it. :)
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used condoms, broken glass, blood encrusted syringes, stained mattresses......
    Why on earth did I buy Tracey Emin's bed?
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    McDonalds stuff.Dropped out of passing cars.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be honest i don't spend time looking at litter and making a mental note of what i see the most, are you lot smokin da herb or something
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You on litter picking punishment again? Bring your proper PE kit next time.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Without doubt - McDonalds wrappers. Saw a cleaner fill up 5 huge litter bags from outside a McDs this morning - he said that's about the usual but there's usually more on a Sunday morning! He said 4 to 5 bags A DAY is the norm!

Just come back from Florida and never - NOT EVER - did I see litter anywhere. Americans take a pride in their country - Brits obviously do not!
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Tyskie beer cans.
    Muckdonalds
    KFC "Krushems".
    Wine bottles
    "Special Brew"
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Without doubt - McDonalds wrappers. Saw a cleaner fill up 5 huge litter bags from outside a McDs this morning - he said that's about the usual but there's usually more on a Sunday morning! He said 4 to 5 bags A DAY is the norm!

Just come back from Florida and never - NOT EVER - did I see litter anywhere. Americans take a pride in their country - Brits obviously do not!

I saw litter in Colorado. It is more a case of Americans being on the ball with their street cleansing. A service which is lacking in this country due to stupid councils only bothering to cleanse certain areas once a fortnight.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was a spotty teenager I had to do the trash walk for McDonalds and the litter was just as bad then. Guess the ECHR stopped them sending their own people out to pick it up.

These days the most common discarded items I see are used free newspapers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Badgers
  • Options
    marc_p88marc_p88 Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The road my mate's family live down, and the surrounding roads, there are garbage bags laying about on the pavement, dirty nappies, dog excrement, and just general garbage. It is disgusting, and there's plenty people living in this area who don't care.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marc_p88 wrote: »
    The road my mate's family live down, and the surrounding roads, there are garbage bags laying about on the pavement, dirty nappies, dog excrement, and just general garbage. It is disgusting, and there's plenty people living in this area who don't care.

Which part of the country is this if you don't mind me asking?
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, if I were to pick up every bit of rubbish within a few streets and categorize it, I daresay the majority of it would be cigarette butts. Not by volume, but by the sheer # of them. Also common is beer cans, soda bottles, and assorted fast food wrappers. Nappies are very uncommon (thankfully), although dog poo seems to be the norm.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    **** ends, Polish beer/lager cans, Fosters cans, vodka bottles, children's sweet wrappers, soft drink cans and bottles.
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Round our way it's broken Buckfast bottles. Get off your face by all means but is it compulsory to smash them on the pavement afterwards where kids play and pets walk?
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    What's the most type of litter you see?

There's a road in town that's not a main road or a busy one but it does like the town centre to another area and the road is full of McDonald's bags.

The road isn't that close to McD but I guess people, usually after a night out, goto the 24 hour McD then use this road to get home.

I drove up it yesterday and it was like someone took a bin from McD and scattered the contents of it down the road.

Litter is a pet hate of mine.

It's mostly drinks cans, crisp/snack packets, takeaway packaging and plastic bags around here. The other thing is fly tipping, which also is a problem around here, especially of unwanted household items, e.g. furniture.

I've phoned up the council on occasions in order for them to deal with it. The council used to do a twice yearly deep clean of the streets around here, and by the next day, it was back to like it was before. >:(

Some people simply don't give a toss and just drop litter anywhere, even though there is usually a wheelie bin within metres that can be used.

Some people are using bins with no lids, so that when they get full, litter can spill out due to the wind for example, when all they have to do is phone up the council and get a new bin FOC.

I was taught from a young age to always take my litter home or drop it into a bin. The only place I've ever left litter behind is on a train, because I know the train crew come around regularly to clear it up, but the vast majority of the time I'll put it in a bin (if available).

I've had people leave empty or partly empty beer cans on my outside wall, even though I have a couple of bins literally a few feet away that can be used. If that isn't laziness, I don't know what is. And I have to say, most of the beer cans left around here are Polish brands. Now, although anybody may be drinking Polish beer, it IMO does give a clue to whom the main culprits may be.

Yet another thing is broken bottles and glass left on the street. This is dangerous, particularly to young children who may fall and cut themselves. Once again, use a ******* bin you ****'s.

I've seen plastic bags caught up in trees, on the top of telephone poles and this is the sort of thing that happens when you leave litter behind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Litter is a pet hate of mine.

It's mostly drinks cans, crisp/snack packets, takeaway packaging and plastic bags around here. The other thing is fly tipping, which also is a problem around here, especially of unwanted household items, e.g. furniture.

I've phoned up the council on occasions in order for them to deal with it. The council used to do a twice yearly deep clean of the streets around here, and by the next day, it was back to like it was before. >:(

Some people simply don't give a toss and just drop litter anywhere, even though there is usually a wheelie bin within metres that can be used.

Some people are using bins with no lids, so that when they get full, litter can spill out due to the wind for example, when all they have to do is phone up the council and get a new bin FOC.

I was taught from a young age to always take my litter home or drop it into a bin. The only place I've ever left litter behind is on a train, because I know the train crew come around regularly to clear it up, but the vast majority of the time I'll put it in a bin (if available).

I've had people leave empty or partly empty beer cans on my outside wall, even though I have a couple of bins literally a few feet away that can be used. If that isn't laziness, I don't know what is. And I have to say, most of the beer cans left around here are Polish brands. Now, although anybody may be drinking Polish beer, it IMO does give a clue to whom the main culprits may be.

Yet another thing is broken bottles and glass left on the street. This is dangerous, particularly to young children who may fall and cut themselves. Once again, use a ******* bin you ****'s.

I've seen plastic bags caught up in trees, on the top of telephone poles and this is the sort of thing that happens when you leave litter behind.

Are you up north?
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone caught littering should be made to clean up the whole street they have littered on.
    There is no excuse for littering.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone caught littering should be made to clean up the whole street they have littered on.
    There is no excuse for littering.

I'm with you on that!
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was in Exeter last week - it has to be one of the cleanest, most litter-free cities ever! You could eat your tea off the streets there.