Upgrade Iphone Firmware and Lose Music?

!!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My fiancee has the iPhone 3G with 2.0.0 firmware. If we upgrade it to 2.0.1 I believe it'll wipe all the music from the phone, right?

The problem is that she didn't sync her collection - there's far more on her computer than she wanted on the phone, so she just dragged and dropped the albums and songs she wanted. Therefore, I guess there's nothing for iTunes to auto-sync back to the phone after the upgrade.

Is there any way to add all the songs that are already on the phone to a playlist and then set that to sync after the upgrade?

"Add all songs" within the iPod on the phone doesn't seem to work and I think would only add it to the On The Go list anyway?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    i updated mine and my wifes and it did not lose any of the music
  • simon69csimon69c Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you upgrade the firmware iTunes does a forced backup first anyway and after the firmware update it restores all the content that was on it before so basically you should have nothing to worry about.

When you say she just dragged and dropped the music she needed though are you aware the default for the iPhone is for it not to sync all your music and for you to specify what you do and don't want sync'd? When you connect the iPhone and the iPhone screen appears in iTunes you can click the Music tab and then specify which albums you want it to sync. Might be a bit easier than manually managing the music (though I may have misunderstood what you were saying and this is what you are doing already).
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't aware of that, no. To be honest, we found iTunes to be about the most un-usable bit of software we've ever come across (and I'm by no means a computer novice). After playing around a bit, the easiest way just appeared to be turning off sync (as it wanted to sync the lot) and dragging albums across to the phone.

I'll investigate your method though. As far as I was aware, the backup when you update is everything except music as in theory it's all on your computer anyway...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edit: ignore. I essentially repeated simon69c