Snow Watch 2010/11 Season

Comments

• Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nearly snowed in, not quite though

Around 2 foot here.

That makes it over a month since snow first fell in Northumberland. Hoping it doesn't make it to February like last year but I fully expect it
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    We had 3 inches of heavy snow last night. There's more forecast tonight. I've long given up clearing the paths of the stuff.
    Middlebrough's game for Boxing Day, already postponed.

From after Boxing day the temperatures rise for a week, into January, the lowest 1 degree. Dunno if that means finally a thaw that will actually melt the snow and actually last, though. As we've had this since mid-November, wouldn't surprise me if we still have it at Easter.
    I remember a year it snowed in April.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So is it a white Christmas or not? I mean in the sense of a single snowflake falling on the day itself. In some locations, certainly it is, but crucially for many who have put a bet on, what about London? I see from the Met Office radar that there are a few signs of very light precipitation around the London area in the early hours, but I wonder if any snowfalkes will have been observed in the crucial location.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's snowing here but don't think we are on any met office locations.

I wasn't dreaming of a white christmas, i'm sick of seeing the stuff.
  • Options
    BanditaBandita Posts: 3,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very light snow here a while ago, doesn't make any difference mind we still have snow lying from November and what's fallen since!
  • Options
    Radio RuderhamRadio Ruderham Posts: 13,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot milder here in Embra :D
    The frost on our car and our neighbours' has all but gone in just a few minutes:D
    There is a suspicious amount of wetness underfoot, which is starting to make me smile:cool:
    If I'm not carefull I might just burst into song with joy,:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've noticed in the news I've been watching, no mention at all of whether it's classed a white christmas. And it's usually been mentioned by now in the past.

Maybe they realise it's a bit of a touchy subject when you look out of the window and all you see is the white stuff and you've had it for over a month and this is the coldest December on record and one part of England was -17 last night. (those two facts WERE mentioned on the news I just heard) So who gives a flying fig whether it was or not.
    If it's white outside on Christmas Day, it IS - whether that's the official reading or not.

It's a bit milder here today, but not mild enough to start melting the bloody stuff. It's just not freezing cold - it's just cold.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    Flukie wrote: »
    I've noticed in the news I've been watching, no mention at all of whether it's classed a white christmas. And it's usually been mentioned by now in the past.

Maybe they realise it's a bit of a touchy subject when you look out of the window and all you see is the white stuff and you've had it for over a month and this is the coldest December on record and one part of England was -17 last night. (those two facts WERE mentioned on the news I just heard) So who gives a flying fig whether it was or not.
    If it's white outside on Christmas Day, it IS - whether that's the official reading or not.

It's a bit milder here today, but not mild enough to start melting the bloody stuff. It's just not freezing cold - it's just cold.

The bookies will care! And they take bets on snow falling on the day, so guess we wont know until tomorrow how much they have taken/lost, some places have had some snow showers today as far South as the Midlands and maybe further, depends on location you bet on I suppose., only needs to be one recorded flake?
  • Options
    parsleyisfunparsleyisfun Posts: 4,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've had no snow today thank god, hoping it will be clear for a good while now because we don't want to postpone the pantomime again. We've still got a good covering of snow from about 10 days ago now though :D It's refusing to melt.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snowed heavily around lunch time but as previous poster don't think we qualify as a White Christmas

Around 2.5 foot on the ground as we speak
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Parts of the country apparently will reach 10 degrees next week.

I'll believe it when I see it (or feel it) cos I sometimes think it'll be this cold with snow everywhere all year round, cos it feels like it's been here forever already!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The snow is more or less gone here in my part of the south east, so no White Christmas for me in the end.

Now it's just very, very icy. Which is worse. :(
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abeerdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow have had 'official' white Christmases.

My understanding of the present forecast is that any rise in temperature in the next few days will be short lived. We are now just about at the point in the year where the notorious cold winters of 1947 and 1963 began.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Spot wrote: »

My understanding of the present forecast is that any rise in temperature in the next few days will be short lived. We are now just about at the point in the year where the notorious cold winters of 1947 and 1963 began.

Some weather person said in the New Year there'll be a change in the weather front - or something like that - and basically getting a lot warmer.

But I suppose it depends who says it. Two different people will say two different things. And I'll believe it when I see it anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's been the coldest christmas since 1890.

Though possibly not in Strathclyde which has had a Christmas thaw, causing floods. According to Sky News just now.

Temperature must've risen dramatically up there for that much of a thaw!
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »

1963, yes. The first major snowfalls beginning on Christmas and Boxing Days 1962.

1947 actually started very late ~ around 20th January. It was immediately preceded by a very mild spell, with temps around 13C as late as 18th January, although there had been some snow earlier in the month.
    January 1947. Cold (2.2C CET), but not excessively so overall. The month is most memorable for the start of a severe, prolonged, and exceptionally snowy cold spell. Although there had been some significant snowfalls in December, and again on the 4-5th, the harsh winter did not really get going to the third week, after quite a mild interlude (hence the average). After some early cold snaps, there was a very pleasant, mild interlude. The first five days were mild and wet, with a heavy snow fall early on the 6th and snow lying on the ground until the 9th. It then turned very mild with westerly winds from the 14th to 18th. It reached 14C in places on the 16th; Saturday 18 January was sunny and mild, and then ... The severe winter really started on the 20th, with the first frost since the 7th. On the 22nd, a NE airflow brought cold air all the way from Siberia. There were frequent snow showers on the 22nd and 23rd. On the 26th much of England experienced continual frost. There was a major blizzard in the southwest on the 28th. There was a minimum of -21C early on the 29th at Writtle (Essex), and then a maximum of -5C over much of eastern England. 17cms of snow on the Isles of Scilly on the 30th.
    February 1947. The coldest February ever (-1.9C CET), the second coldest month this century (after January 1963), and the coldest month since January 1814. Many places in England were beneath zero from the 11th to the 23rd; Greenwich registered 14 consecutive days beneath zero. At Oxford frost began at 6 pm on the 10th and continued until 6 am on the 26th. The record low average was mainly determined by the very low maxima. Low minima were not outstanding because of the extensive cloud cover until clearer skies at the end of the month, when -21C was recorded at Wolburn on the 25th. It was a persistent easterly month of the sort that weather people long for: large amounts of snow in the east (e.g. 1.35 m of snow lay at Forrest-in-Teesdale (Durham) on the 18th. It was also very dull. There was no sunshine at Kew at all from the 2-22nd inclusive, and only 17 hours of sunshine in total (compared with the average of 61). A side-effect of the easterlies was that the Scottish Highlands had no rain this month, for the first time in recorded history, where it was also very sunny. It was, of course, also snowy, with snowstorms particularly affecting the south, midlands, and east. There was a major snowstorm on the 25-26th. It was also quite a windy month. Buxton had 30 consecutive days of frost. At Kew the maximum temperature of the month was 5C. Hence I vote this to be the most interesting February of the century.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Though possibly not in Strathclyde which has had a Christmas thaw, causing floods. According to Sky News just now.

Not that dramatically. I would have thought a little above freezing, but only enough to start a very slow daytime thaw.

That news surprises me tbh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Snowed heavily around lunch time but as previous poster don't think we qualify as a White Christmas

Around 2.5 foot on the ground as we speak

Snowed here again today, didn't have any reports on the news. No surprise here for us, again:(

I'm certain we don't. I'm just over the border from you but England hasn't sufferered that much:mad::mad:

We're north of the Watford gap so that's where England or South Scotland news is just ignored.

Our snow, like yours, hasn't moved in over 4 weeks, freezing temperatures as well.

Hey ho, we're not that newsworthy because we don't have an airport or motorway.

It really pisses me off:mad::mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Snowed here again today, didn't have any reports on the news. No surprise here for us, again:(

I'm certain we don't. I'm just over the border from you but England hasn't sufferered that much:mad::mad:

We're north of the Watford gap so that's where England or South Scotland news is just ignored.

Our snow, like yours, hasn't moved in over 4 weeks, freezing temperatures as well.

Hey ho, we're not that newsworthy because we don't have an airport or motorway.

It really pisses me off:mad::mad:

Might also be because you have a lot lower density of population.

Anyway, I've been following the snow news very carefully over the last several weeks (being a weather fanatic), and I've observed very fair coverage and reports from all areas of the UK, Scotland included.

The snow you had today clearly wasn't in the same league as it has been recently, and I'm not sure it merited any more of a mention, than the 6" that was dropped here in a couple of hours some weeks ago, and was blanked by the media because of it's very local occurrence, and despite close proximity to the M25 and Stansted Airport..
  • Options
    TheBillyTheBilly Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    Well it's gone above freezing and rain with warmer temps is forecast for the rest of the week. Thank goodness it's over. Roll on the thaw. :)
  • Options
    emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parts of the country apparently will reach 10 degrees next week.

I'll believe it when I see it (or feel it) cos I sometimes think it'll be this cold with snow everywhere all year round, cos it feels like it's been here forever already!

it will be 10'c in cornwall by tomorrow
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There is no Christmas thaw where I am in Strathclyde. Only rain which froze on impact which has made the roads worse than ever
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    There is no Christmas thaw where I am in Strathclyde. Only rain which froze on impact which has made the roads worse than ever

no thaw and no rain .. :mad: :(
  • Options
    Forum Member

Ooh, well it was a breaking news item on Sky News yesterday. A Christmas thaw in Strathclyde causing floods, it said.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emails wrote: »
    it will be 10'c in cornwall by tomorrow

That such temperature is really normal for them at this time of year. There as well as Plymouth.
This discussion has been closed.