Options

Definition of Satire

bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
Forum Member
✭✭
Had a post reported and removed for quoting this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHtUrtp9LpA

Now the whole point of this sketch was a satire of the attitudes of the time against other races and sexualitys

Python were masters of satire and with having a homosexual member he was probably the writer of this particular sketch.

Comments

• Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Are you a member of Monty Python though? Fabulous though that sketch was (and thanks for the link:)) If someone doesn't recognise the source your quote probably didn't have enough context to be recognised as satire and just sounded prejudiced:( I could be wrong and you got alerted by a trigger happy fool, but not everyone will have the same frame of reference as you. Commiserations, but there you go! At least you didn't get a ban though, so maybe the mods are MP fans too:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    Are you a member of Monty Python though? Fabulous though that sketch was (and thanks for the link:)) If someone doesn't recognise the source your quote probably didn't have enough context to be recognised as satire and just sounded prejudiced:( I could be wrong and you got alerted by a trigger happy fool, but not everyone will have the same frame of reference as you. Commiserations, but there you go! At least you didn't get a ban though, so maybe the mods are MP fans too:)

Thanks for the reply maybe I should have put a disclaimer in :D
  • Options
    Ben ScottBen Scott Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Def. of satire = very clever and witty comedy.

Chris Morris should be the 'be and end of it all' :D
  • Options
    JusticarJusticar Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHtUrtp9LpA

Now the whole point of this sketch was a satire of the attitudes of the time against other races and sexualitys

Python were masters of satire and with having a homosexual member he was probably the writer of this particular sketch.

Hilarious, I've never seen that one before :D It's unfortunate that some people don't have the smarts to realise they're watching satire.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the reply maybe I should have put a disclaimer in :D

It would have been very exciting if you'd come back claiming to be John Cleese though:D

Hang on though have I misunderstood? Did you get reported for posting the link (in which case:eek:)? Or for quoting the sketch (in which case:()?
  • Options
    peroquilperoquil Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't expect the site moderators to side with you, they seem to pander to the lowest common denominator. I've just done a week's ban for referring to a Muslim who was a criminal as a "Muslim criminal" (dinner lady thread of last week) and that wasn't even being satirical, just factual.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    peroquil wrote: »
    Don't expect the site moderators to side with you, they seem to pander to the lowest common denominator. I've just done a week's ban for referring to a Muslim who was a criminal as a "Muslim criminal" (dinner lady thread of last week) and that wasn't even being satirical, just factual.

Surely you must see the problem with that? Did you mean he/she was a criminal because he/she was a Muslim, or is it the old flannel that the criminal also just happend to be a Muslim and two are not connected even though you felt compelled to point out the two facts?
    Were they bald, asthmatic, a homeowner, a parent? They are all potential facts too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    It would have been very exciting if you'd come back claiming to be John Cleese though:D

Hang on though have I misunderstood? Did you get reported for posting the link (in which case:eek:)? Or for quoting the sketch (in which case:()?

Quoted the sketch but a large part of it, You would think as it sounds so OTT you would be OK but I guess not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    Surely you must see the problem with that? Did you mean he/she was a criminal because he/she was a Muslim, or is it the old flannel that the criminal also just happend to be a Muslim and two are not connected even though you felt compelled to point out the two facts?
    Were they bald, asthmatic, a homeowner, a parent? They are all potential facts too.

Dinner lady thread of last week, where it was a key feature and fact. Sorry for derailing thread, my point was that the moderators just go with easiest option.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Quoted the sketch but a large part of it, You would think as it sounds so OTT you would be OK but I guess not.

Ahhh.

Well this is DS, there are too many actual OTT nut jobs here to be confident that you would stand out as a king of comedic reference apparently. Oh well live and learn:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BTW I'm not John Cleese I'm afriad Im really Matthias, son of Deutoronomy of Gath.

I don't think I should be warned for just posting a quote. I suppose I'm only making it worse for myself, but how could it be worse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I should be warned for just posting a quote.

I suppose I'm only making it worse for myself, but how could it be worse.

You could be the ignoramus who pressed the alert button.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I've seen that one before - very amusing. And not in the slightest offensive.

Among my music from the golden years, I've a Flanders and Swann collection. One of their songs, "A Song of Patriotic Prejudice", I wouldn't dare even give a link to. But you can find them easily via Google.

An extremely funny song, but of its time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I don't think I've seen that one before - very amusing. And not in the slightest offensive.

Among my music from the golden years, I've a Flanders and Swann collection. One of their songs, "A Song of Patriotic Prejudice", I wouldn't dare even give a link to. But you can find them easily via Google.

An extremely funny song, but of its time.

Very good like it. :D

I've been watching the debates about the Life of Brian. I do wonder how that film would be received today if it was made now. Would the reaction be the same, although after watching the debates the Hypocricy of the two religious guys was appalling.