Options

F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2013 Season (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    FOMFanFOMFan Posts: 5,467
    Forum Member
    Jules 1 wrote: »
    I think FOM have taken over the layout of Digital Spy.:D

i genuinely like the new design :$
  • Options
    FOMFanFOMFan Posts: 5,467
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Weren't the onboard laps normally included in the DVD version? Does this mean that the DVD version actually has no extras? :s

2011 Review: DVD had no extras at all, but the full review, the Blu-Ray had the full review plus all the extras.

2012 Review: The DVD had all the extras but cut out parts of the review. The Blu-ray had all the extras plus the entire review, including the bits cut out of the DVD editon

2013 Review: Looks like the DVD will have the complete review, but misses out SOME of the extras (onboard laps & driver profiles). The Blu-Ray should have everything.

It's all to do with space reasons, as there's only so much a DVD will hold compared to the Blu-Ray.

I suspect FOM are tinkering with finding a balance with the DVD release. IMO the onboards & driver profles are the least "exclusive" of the extras, so I don't mind them being blu-ray only. DVDs are 15years old anyway, so I always get the blu-ray.
  • Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pete_uk wrote: »
    Regarding Jake's comments about F1 needing to go to BT to 'innovate', surly there is only so much that can be done pre and post race. Basically what the BBC and Sky are doing is not much different from what ITV did in its latter years. Ok, different people etc but how much more could you squeeze out of the coverage?

I think there's very little that could be done innovation-wise on a linear platform. Indeed, with just two sports channels, and no red button service, BT would quite likely offer less than we get with Sky at the moment.

What BT could do (and may yet do in years to come) is to take advantage of the fact that the majority of their audience are BT Broadband customers, and offer enhanced coverage over IP (kinda like a Red Button on steroids, or that Zume app). But for F1 or whoever to take notice, they'll need to demonstrate this kind of a service with the sports they have at the moment.
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alexj2002 wrote: »
    I think there's very little that could be done innovation-wise on a linear platform. Indeed, with just two sports channels, and no red button service, BT would quite likely offer less than we get with Sky at the moment.

What BT could do (and may yet do in years to come) is to take advantage of the fact that the majority of their audience are BT Broadband customers, and offer enhanced coverage over IP (kinda like a Red Button on steroids, or that Zume app). But for F1 or whoever to take notice, they'll need to demonstrate this kind of a service with the sports they have at the moment.
    BT actually have 3 channels; BTS1, BTS2 & ESPN.

In reality there is little else that can be improved on, as everything that can be shown is, and the extra features are available.

Sure they have no red button, but personally I don't like using the extra features this way, I prefer to use them on a secondary device so I can have the main coverage on the TV.
    They have an online player already, so that could be used for the extra streams, just as Sky do.

As for Jake's comments, he is just doing exactly what he did whilst he was at the beeb, "bigging them up".
    Jake is a PR departments dream, he just does the online PR stuff so well.
  • Options
    dans_t16sdans_t16s Posts: 768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now we have the confirmed race calendar for 2014, when will we get confirmation of the live BBC races? As the season is 19 races, will the BBC have 9 or 10 live broadcasts?
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    9. Sky under the current contract have half or half +1 if it's an odd number.
  • Options
    _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    I really hope they go for Brazil in their first 3 picks, then I guess Sky would gobble up Canada, Monaco and Austin. So don't be surprised to see the BBC getting Australia (for a change).
  • Options
    dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FOM Fan wrote: »
    i genuinely like the new design :$

Its a bit better now they have tweaked the colours to better separate comment boxes visually.

Better or worse, it hasnt brought any new functionality, so dont see the point.
  • Options
    dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quick review on 2013.

Not much to say on BBC's efforts, Gary is brilliant as usual, we love and hate EJ in equal measure as usual, DC is.. well, DC. James and Ben have been doing great work, but i would probably give it James in the end for having carry the commentary almost single handedly. Less said about Legard the better.

Suzi... erm, i dunno, yet to be convinced tbh.

Sky started as they ended last year, lads holiday. Once it was obvious to all that the championships was over, they seemed to give up on all that and suddenly things improved markedly.

Ted needs no further adulation, Pinks had a strong second half, but still short of Georgie's talents.

Production wise, FOM had a poor year. Dont know whats going on, maybe new people have come in and its taking time to get up to speed. Sky need to stop trialling VT's every 2mins and showing half of the feature in the process. BBC solid as ever, although ive watched little this year on the beeb and the picture quality seemed suffer once they got the Americas.

Improvements for next year. Chandhok in for Ant, rumour has it that he wont be around next year. and prise Buxton from his NBC contract. Better online facilitys, Race control is ok, but the online version is a poor imitation of the broadcast version and picture quality needs a bump.
  • Options
    thedoppelgangerthedoppelganger Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    Sky have removed access to USTV Now on their NowTV/Roku box which has upset my American friend who watches the sports including F1 there. But he has Plex, so he's ok until that gets blocked too..... he'll just have to buy a proper Roku if that happens.....
  • Options
    Chris_WilliamsChris_Williams Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    The BBC will never show Australia live for as long as Sky have coverage. The 1st race of the season for some reason always gets low viewing figures and being on at bonkers o'clock doesn't help.

I would expect, as an odd season in the Sky/BBC arrangement (so Sky selects 1st) that China would be a Sky exclusive, forcing the BBC to have Bahrain live for the 1st time in the arrangement. As suggested by someone elsewhere, Belgium might be a Sky exclusive for the 1st time.
  • Options
    racefreakracefreak Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bahrain on BBC would make sense, it's a night race next year so starting time will be at around the same time as the brazilian GP usually starts I think.

BBC should leave all the early morning races to Sky. Highlights in the afternoon for those races, and just show most european and races in prime time live.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    racefreak wrote: »
    Bahrain on BBC would make sense, it's a night race next year so starting time will be at around the same time as the brazilian GP usually starts I think.

BBC should leave all the early morning races to Sky. Highlights in the afternoon for those races, and just show most european and races in prime time live.

It's not as simple as that though. Sky aren't stupid, they will gobble up a) the prime time races first then b) the European TZ races in between the BBC picks.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC will never show Australia live for as long as Sky have coverage. The 1st race of the season for some reason always gets low viewing figures and being on at bonkers o'clock doesn't help.

I would expect, as an odd season in the Sky/BBC arrangement (so Sky selects 1st) that China would be a Sky exclusive, forcing the BBC to have Bahrain live for the 1st time in the arrangement. As suggested by someone elsewhere, Belgium might be a Sky exclusive for the 1st time.

Sky doesn't pick first.
    BBC always gets first three picks. Sky gets picks 4-6, then they alternate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ariusuk wrote: »
    Sky doesn't pick first.
    BBC always gets first three picks. Sky gets picks 4-6, then they alternate.

Not true. Sky had 1st picks in 2012 and BBC had the 1st picks in 2013. Notionally that means Sky goes 1st for 2014 and therefore the BBC live races will be the boring non-classics.
  • Options
    mjrmjr Posts: 2,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not true. Sky had 1st picks in 2012 and BBC had the 1st picks in 2013.

Wouldn't Sky likely have picked Silverstone and Monaco if they'd had first picks in 2012? As it was the BBC had them live.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not true. Sky had 1st picks in 2012 and BBC had the 1st picks in 2013. Notionally that means Sky goes 1st for 2014 and therefore the BBC live races will be the boring non-classics.

Incorrect, in all cases.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably an unpopular viewpoint but I think if the BBC have a system in place whereby they only have half the races live then they've got a duty to work out ways to rotate things so that they show them all live over a cycle of a few seasons, unpopular race/time or not.

I can understand Britain's got to be pretty much a constant live but efforts should be made such that everything else should get its turn.

Yes Australia's a weird time but they shouldn't always be only joining in with live coverage at the third or fourth event etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    solarflare wrote: »
    Probably an unpopular viewpoint but I think if the BBC have a system in place whereby they only have half the races live then they've got a duty to work out ways to rotate things so that they show them all live over a cycle of a few seasons, unpopular race/time or not.

I can understand Britain's got to be pretty much a constant live but efforts should be made such that everything else should get its turn.

Yes Australia's a weird time but they shouldn't always be only joining in with live coverage at the third or fourth event etc.

I think they will rotate the lesser races but the first 6 picks are automatic. Also don't forget Sky or BBC can't have 3 in a row which starts to limit the choices quite quickly on both sides.

I'll go:

BBC: Britain, Abby Dhabi, Brazil

At this point Sky HAVE to have Austin, I'm not sure whether they would leave this to the end or not? If they are clever and able to they would.

Sky: Canada, Austin, Monaco
    BBC: Spa
    Sky: Russia
    BBC: Singapore
    Sky: Monza
    BBC: Australia
    Sky: Germany
    BBC: Austria
    Sky: Malaysia
    BBC: Spain
    Sky: Japan
    BBC: China
    Sky: Bahrain, Hungary

Or the BBC could pick Austin instead of Brazil, otherwise Sky can leave Austin until the end giving them a "head start" on the better picks.
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When do the Individual Team Season review programmes start, anybody?
  • Options
    Ellie666Ellie666 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surely BBC will want to have the last race of the season live just incase there is a proper race for the championship next year
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mjr wrote: »
    Wouldn't Sky likely have picked Silverstone and Monaco if they'd had first picks in 2012? As it was the BBC had them live.

Before the dividing up the BBC expressed that they wanted Monaco and Britain to be live as they are F1 heritage races plus the final race of the season.

Then for 2013 they changed their minds about Monaco in favour of Italy.

It's practically guaranteed - 2014 BBC live F1 races will be "the rubbish ones".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Before the dividing up the BBC expressed that they wanted Monaco and Britain to be live as they are F1 heritage races plus the final race of the season.

It's practically guaranteed - 2014 BBC live F1 races will be "the rubbish ones".

No, they specifically said the British GP and the final race, they didn't guarantee Monaco.
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    No, they specifically said the British GP and the final race, they didn't guarantee Monaco.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9550930.stm
    Races shown live on BBC TV will include the British Grand Prix at Silverstone, the Monaco GP and the concluding race of the season.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Canada, surely?
This discussion has been closed.