Andy Coulson found guilty Rebekah Brooks cleared of all charges

Comments

• AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    munta wrote: »
    Whilst the verdicts returned were not guilty in the majority of cases, it seems inconceivable that Coulson was the only person who knew what was going on.

It's not about whether she 'knew about' what was going on, it's whether she was actually involved in a conspiracy to commit the acts.
  • DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst the verdicts returned were not guilty in the majority of cases, it seems inconceivable that Coulson was the only person who knew what was going on.

The verdicts may be right in that there was insufficient evidence to convict but that does not mean that certain people knew nothing about what was going on. However, legally speaking I have to respect the verdicts. In my personal view though I think some scummy people are damn lucky.

But he wasn't. Five have already admitted their guilt so no need for a trial.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why did the judge tell her not to talk to the press. What does it have to do with him?

Because charges are still being deliberated over in respect of other defendants.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aftershow wrote: »
    It's not about whether she 'knew about' what was going on, it's whether she was actually involved in a conspiracy to commit the acts.

I started another thread, comparing Rebekah Brooks and Nick Clegg

Both in charge of organisations, and conveniently neither having any idea what their underlings are up to.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "If I have been lied to, that would be the moment for profound apology" July 2011
    What if he was told the truth but decided to stand by his man?

Would he apologise then?
  • D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pedro wrote: »
    What the Hell has happened to this Country?

It is not so bad. Not so long ago Coulson knew nothing about it either and had no case to answer.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1406057&highlight=coulson

So who knows what the future may bring?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because charges are still being deliberated over in respect of other defendants.

He was reported as saying rather cryptically, I thought that "she had enough to celebrate without talking to the press"
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    What if he was told the truth but decided to stand by his man?

Would he apologise then?

Are you suggesting that coulson admitted his guilt to cameron and cameron employed him anyway?
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Depends on what is meant by a conspiracy and the associated action such as 'hack' and 'intercept'.

The BBC report:

- Andy Coulson was found guilty of a charge of conspiracy to intercept voicemails
    - Mrs Brooks was found not guilty of conspiracy to hack voicemails, two counts of conspiracy to pay public officials and two counts of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Both in charge of organisations, and conveniently neither having any idea what their underlings are up to.

In what way does that affect my statement?
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ever heard of "plausible deniability"?
  • dirty dingusdirty dingus Posts: 2,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah suppose they were like rampant rabbits and too tired for this to be mentioned post intercourse.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    It's fair enough that Cameron apologises for being lied to - but he's hardly the first leader to make some bad decisions based upon a pack of lies. There's no evidence that Cameron knew about the hacking.

Dave was warned on numerous occasions that appointing Coulson was highly risky - so it is Dave's judgment that is being called into question and not for the first time
  • muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Come on - I'm not suggesting "she" knew or in fact any nameable individual knew because that would be potentially libelous - and I'm very keen, unlike Coulson, to stay on the right side of the law. I'm suggesting that someone other than Coulson knew and that unnamed individual or individuals has been very lucky that there wasn't enough evidence to convict. :)
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The irony is that the government is probably hacking us all as we speak. But that's legal of course.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Depends on what is meant by a conspiracy and the associated action such as 'hack' and 'intercept'.

The BBC report:

- Andy Coulson was found guilty of a charge of conspiracy to intercept voicemails
    - Mrs Brooks was found not guilty of conspiracy to hack voicemails, two counts of conspiracy to pay public officials and two counts of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice

Unless they can show she had active involvement in planning/carrying out the acts in question, she was going to be found not guilty on conspiracy charges. That she might have known it was going on is insufficient.
    Forum Member
    solenoid wrote: »
    The irony is that the government is probably hacking us all as we speak. But that's legal of course.

what do you mean hacking you? what do you think they are doing to you as we speak?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Come on - I'm not suggesting "she" knew or in fact any nameable individual knew because that would be potentially libelous - and I'm very keen, unlike Coulson, to stay on the right side of the law. I'm suggesting that someone other than Coulson knew and that unnamed individual or individuals has been very lucky that there wasn't enough evidence to convict. :)

You've missed my point. Simply showing that she, or anyone else, was aware of/knew about what was happening is not sufficient to demonstrate guilt on a conspiracy charge.
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Dave was warned on numerous occasions that appointing Coulson was highly risky - so it is Dave's judgment that is being called into question and not for the first time

you think rumours about someone should be sufficient and legitimate grounds to deny them employment?

really?
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't you ever heard of a fall guy?

Jury found her innocent, that should upset lots of lefty showbiz luvvies.

Well this Lefty supports the system of trial by jury and innocent until proven guilty, and therefore accepts the courts findings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've missed my point. Simply showing that she, or anyone else, was aware of/knew about what was happening is not sufficient to demonstrate guilt on a conspiracy charge.

Some of the charges were conspiracy to pervert the course of justice. If you knew about something and lied to the police then this is what you would be charged with. I believe that someone, un-named of course, knew about the hacking and lied to the police. My points still stand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well this Lefty supports the system of trial by jury and innocent until proven guilty, and therefore accepts the courts findings.

This lefty does too. :)

The disdain I feel for those found not guilty however is an other matter ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In what way does that affect my statement?

because reportedly he didn't tell her not to talk to the press until all the decisions were completed, he reportedly told her that she had plenty of celebrating to do without talking to the press. Completely different
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    Cameron should apologise for not having a time machine, finding out the verdict from the court case, then returning to last year and admitting he should have known better than a future jury.

Yeah, just like Blair.