iPhone 6 the same as a Nexus 4 from 2012 lol

Comments

• alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    ... 32 bit processors can typically register up to 4GB, whereas 64 bit processors can potentially address EBs of memory, so an extremely vast difference.
    Wasn't the old Cortex A9 the last one limited to 4GB, the rest doing 1TB.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Well, I spent 30 seconds on Google.

More like they thought the headline was too much spin, given the 64% think Apple is 'cool' v 29% think Apple is 'smug' figures.

So which part of that made it a "debacle" other than the whole you flat out refusing to say whether you agreed or not part?

Content remains the same though ;-)

Go back and answer the simple questions in my last post on it, always odd when you leave a thread usually means no answer available.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With regards to the CPU a big move was from 8 bit to 16 bit.
    One of the first forays towards 16 bit was with the Z80. It had 16 bit arithmetic and a less RISC type instruction set compared to the full 8 bit 6502.

But if you worked heavily in assembler with both, you will understand there were advantages and disadvantages.

It is worth noting that ARM still has its 16 bit Thumb instruction set.
    Their marketing has it that you get typically only 65% of the bloat of 32 bit code and 160% of the performance.
    Thumb-2 covers 32 bit too and I'm unsure whether it is to make it easier to use old Thumb code in 32 bit or if it advances on normal 32 bit in some ways.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    Content remains the same though ;-)

You're right - it still says:

64% think Apple is 'cool'
    29% think Apple is 'smug'
    Go back and answer the simple questions in my last post on it, always odd when you leave a thread usually means no answer available.

Which post, and which question?

Was it some vague thing about how Apple are doomed because the kids won't be buying their phones anymore?

Is your point in all of this that Apple are somehow doomed because *only* 36% of students polled said they were going to get the new iPhone?

Or is it that that doesn't matter, what really matters is that how many people attributed the term 'smug'or 'cool' to them in a survey?
    Forum Member
    So nearly half as many think they are smug and think the phone is a non event

Ummm wrong subject so no none of that but clear you don't wish to answer so no worries ;-)
    Forum Member
    On screen size:
    “No one’s going to buy a big phone,” mocked Steve Jobs when asked about large smartphones at a press conference. ................................
    Needless to say, there’s one thing I think we can all agree on: Steve Jobs is probably rolling in his grave right now.

From innovator to follower

“There’s no revolution here and Apple is losing its innovative soul, chasing after Android and Windows rivals with bigger sized iPhones, while still lagging on fundamental features like screen and camera resolutions, and inductive charging for example.”
    While the world’s most valuable technology company might have fallen behind the innovation curve, it has unfortunately lost another of its most precious gift from the Steve Jobs era: common sense.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeanbaptiste/2014/09/10/video-why-apple-just-lost-its-common-sense-with-iphone-66/

Not forgetting the iphone 5 thumb commercial, which now strangely is no longer relevant :o
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY4c2mh15Yk
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On screen size:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeanbaptiste/2014/09/10/video-why-apple-just-lost-its-common-sense-with-iphone-66/

Not forgetting the iphone 5 thumb commercial, which now strangely is no longer relevant :o

“No one’s going to buy a big phone,” mocked Steve Jobs when asked about large smartphones at a press conference.

:D

Yip Apple have done a 180 degrees. Their fans who had turned their noses up at larger screen phones for years are now flocking to buy them. You couldn't make this stuff up :o
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

“No one’s going to buy a big phone,” mocked Steve Jobs when asked about large smartphones at a press conference.

Yip Apple have done a 180 degrees. Their fans who had turned their noses up at larger screen phones for years are now flocking to buy them. You couldn't make this stuff up :o

You just have:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »

Wrong as usual. This is exactly Steve Jobs opinion on larger screen phones. Here's another quote from the creator! You just keep your blinkers on ;-)

In response to a question at its press conference today about whether Apple could've done anything to avoid its antenna issues with the iPhone 4, Steve took the opportunity to rip on bigger rivals, saying that making a phone so big "you can't get your hand around it" helps, but that "no one's going to buy that." We're assuming he's likely talking about the latest crop of 4-, 4.3- and 5-inch phones that include the Galaxy S series, the EVO 4G, Droid X, and Dell Streak, even going so far as to call them "Hummers".

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/16/jobs-no-ones-going-to-buy-a-big-phone/
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

Has he?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Has he?
    Wrong as usual. This is exactly Steve Jobs opinion on larger screen phoned. Here's another quote from the creator! You just keep your blinkers on ;-)

In response to a question at its press conference today about whether Apple could've done anything to avoid its antenna issues with the iPhone 4, Steve took the opportunity to rip on bigger rivals, saying that making a phone so big "you can't get your hand around it" helps, but that "no one's going to buy that." We're assuming he's likely talking about the latest crop of 4-, 4.3- and 5-inch phones that include the Galaxy S series, the EVO 4G, Droid X, and Dell Streak, even going so far as to call them "Hummers".

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/16/jobs-no-ones-going-to-buy-a-big-phone/

Well, I was referring to you comment where you claimed to say that apple fans have turned their noses up.

First, if you bought an apple phone, they didn't do larger screens, so they weren't turning there noses up, they were buying what was available to them. I'm sure there will remain many apple fans who prefer smaller screens, just like there are many android fans who prefer smaller screens.

As for Jobs, who unless you haven't noticed doesn't actually run apple any more, maybe at the time he was right. After all the iPhone does outsell any other phone. ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So nearly half as many think they are smug

I'm still not really sure what your point here is. In a poll, twice as many students think Apple are "cool" as think they are "smug"? Uh-huh. And?
    and think the phone is a non event

Well, its the launch of a new phone. How does it compare to the launch of any other phone? I expect most people would describe the launch of any phone as "a non event".

Either way, apparently 36% of those polled intend to by it.

Are you arguing that 36% of a survey group planning to buy a particular phone is a low figure?
    Ummm wrong subject so no none of that but clear you don't wish to answer so no worries ;-)

Remind me what the question is and I promise to answer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I was referring to you comment where you claimed to say that apple fans have turned their noses up.

First, if you bought an apple phone, they didn't do larger screens, so they weren't turning there noses up, they were buying what was available to them. I'm sure there will remain many apple fans who prefer smaller screens, just like there are many android fans who prefer smaller screens.

As for Jobs, who unless you haven't noticed doesn't actually run apple any more, maybe at the time he was right. After all the iPhone does outsell any other phone. ;-)

Android have a larger market share of smartphones than Apple :p

Google's Android mobile operating system had a 78% share of all users globally. Apple's iOS had just 18%.

http://www.businessinsider.com/iphone-v-android-market-share-2014-5
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Only because, as usual, you reduce the argument thing to one thing.

Basically your argument only works if you assume that screen size is literally the only thing that people consider when buying a phone.

Which, obviously, it isn't.

I expect most people who buy an iPhone weigh up all the pros and cons, and decide to buy an iPhone because it suits them the most. If someone has owned an iPhone up until now, and buy a larger screen iPhone in the future, its not because they had been 'turning their nose up at a larger screen phone' and suddenly done a u-turn.

Its far more likely that they just think, having weighed up the pros and cons, that the iPhone still suits them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Android have a larger market share of smartphones than Apple :p

Google's Android mobile operating system had a 78% share of all users globally. Apple's iOS had just 18%.

http://www.businessinsider.com/iphone-v-android-market-share-2014-5

Not sure what that has to do with anything.

If you are going to try and make a point it might be worth knowing the number of phones sold categorised by screen size in 2009/2010 when SJ made that statement.

Would even be interesting to know what it is now.

It isn't easy info to find out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On screen size:

That's a great article.

It manages to simultaneously criticise Apple for:

a. doing what others have done.
    b. not doing what others have done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has he?

Yes, by the fiction of assuming the list of things people consider when buying a phone is:

1. Screen size.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ]As for Jobs, who unless you haven't noticed doesn't actually run apple any more, maybe at the time he was right. After all the iPhone does outsell any other phone. ;-)

At the time? Have we all grown bigger hands now or something?

The problem is that iOS doesn't really work with bigger screens, and still doesn't - but, hey, just double tap the home key and everything moves down so you can press 'back'. Far easier than, say, having the back button at the bottom of the screen so you don't move at all.

Obviously iOS can change this, so it's not a hardware thing. Maybe Apple will one day copy the idea of having soft keys at the bottom of the screen, which seems to work for Android and seemed to even work back in the days of phones that had context sensitive options at the bottom in conjunction with buttons underneath the display.

Considering Apple copied notifications and has now, sort of, copied widgets then there's every chance this will come as an amazing new reinvention in the future. I actually think the phone would benefit greatly from such an idea.

In fact, I'd like to get rid of the home key too. It's the one thing that Samsung copied (and still insists on using) that puts me off their smartphones and tablets. That's personal opinion, but I prefer no physical buttons on the front. Let me have a simple power button, or just double tap to unlock. Or even LG's excellent Knock on system that lets me tap a code to unlock (which is probably even quicker than using a fingerprint).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve Job's dogma held Apple back and committed them for a number of years to keep 3.5" as the only size they would make. Only after Steve's death have we seen increases in size. That's not coincidence. Apple knew they were losing market share and would need to change.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »

The problem is that iOS doesn't really work with bigger screens, and still doesn't - but, hey, just double tap the home key and everything moves down so you can press 'back'. Far easier than, say, having the back button at the bottom of the screen so you don't move at all.

You don't need to press the back button to go back, you just swipe from the left.

Presumably moving the screen down thing is handy for moving things like the address bar in browsers within reach. Although now that you mention it, maybe there's a case for moving that to the bottom.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »

In fact, I'd like to get rid of the home key too. It's the one thing that Samsung copied (and still insists on using) that puts me off their smartphones and tablets. That's personal opinion, but I prefer no physical buttons on the front. Let me have a simple power button, or just double tap to unlock. Or even LG's excellent Knock on system that lets me tap a code to unlock (which is probably even quicker than using a fingerprint).

I don't have a clue what you re talking about iOS not working with larger screens. iOS uses soft buttons which could be put anywhere on the screen, so to me your comment makes no sense.

As for getting rid of the home button, with touchid build in, that is about to bring secure mobile payment to the masses, something people have been keen on for a long time. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see a nexus device with similar in the near future, otherwise they will not be able to offer the service. Samsung knew that.
  • johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As for getting rid of the home button, with touchid build in, that is about to bring secure mobile payment to the masses, something people have been keen on for a long time. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see a nexus device with similar in the near future, otherwise they will not be able to offer the service. Samsung knew that.

That's rumoured to be coming in the new Nexus device this year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnathome wrote: »
    That's rumoured to be coming in the new Nexus device this year.

It doesn't surprise me, I don't think they have a choice. The only other option would to build the sensor into the actual screen.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Yes, by the fiction of assuming the list of things people consider when buying a phone is:

1. Screen size.

But he hasnt. The point is, SJ DID say that. Now, whether it was years ago is incidental. It was said. No point doing what you normally do and try and create a war over it, it was said. Simple.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But he hasnt. The point is, SJ DID say that. Now, whether it was years ago is incidental. It was said. No point doing what you normally do and try and create a war over it, it was said. Simple.

I don't dispute Jobs said what he did.

Although I will say, so what? Company changes mind shock!

I was referring to this:

Their fans who had turned their noses up at larger screen phones for years are now flocking to buy them.

That's the bit I would describe as pure fiction.

So when does politely disagreeing with someone on a forum become "creating a war"?