Sequels That Never Happened

2»

Comments

• Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sound of Music (1965)

Although a film adaptation of a musical play that's a remake of German film, The Trapps (1956), there were plans for a remake of its sequel, The Trapps in America (1958). It was shelved when Rodgers refused to adapt the sequel. His music partner Hammerstein died some months after the musical play premièred, so Rodgers apparently didn't want to ruin their last work with a sequel he'd have to pen alone.

Daredevil (2003) - not many liked this Ben Affleck film so the planned franchise was shelved. It did vomit Elektra (2005) and Elektra: the Hand and the Devil (2009), though.

I'm still not sure if The Incredibles (2004) was meant to have a sequel. A character showing up during the ending implied there would be.
  • Options
    chris2k2chris2k2 Posts: 9,886
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »

Although a film adaptation of a musical play that's a remake of German film, The Trapps (1956), there were plans for a remake of its sequel, The Trapps in America (1958). It was shelved when Rodgers refused to adapt the sequel. His music partner Hammerstein died some months after the musical play premièred, so Rodgers apparently didn't want to ruin their last work with a sequel he'd have to pen alone.

Daredevil (2003) - not many liked this Ben Affleck film so the planned franchise was shelved. It did vomit Elektra (2005) and Elektra: the Hand and the Devil (2009), though.

I'm still not sure if The Incredibles (2004) was meant to have a sequel. A character showing up during the ending implied there would be.

Incredibles 2 is being made apparently with estimated 2015 date
  • Options
    yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think The Incredibles 2 was announced recently.

The original Crow sequels - Brandon Lee signed on for 3 films (I think) but sadly his death left us with the sequels we got. Not that they are terrible but would have preferred to see Eric return.

Bad Boys III- I'm still hoping
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member

Well it would have been impossible any way. They had no luggage or provisions and were walking towards Berchtesgarten at the end of The Sound of Music. :D
    Where there rumours of a sequel to District 9?
    I'm still waiting for the 8 prequels :p
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    gashead wrote: »
    Lost In Space (1998) was ripe for a sequel.....Presumably it didn't do well enough for anyone to think it worthwhile making another one.
    Lost in Space famously ended Titanic's four month run at the top of the US box-office. No giant itself mind - a meagre $138m worldwide on an $80m budget meant a sequel wasn't forthcoming.

Another - what happened to the Green Lantern sequel Warners announced just as the first was stiffing badly?
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Lost Girls was the original proposed sequel to The Lost Boys, but it never made it past the script stage. Unfortunately, we ended up getting two sequels a few years back that really are utter rubbish and should not have been made.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once read an article about a proposed Titanic sequel following Rose in World War One, but it was probably just a fan's screenplay rather than a serious idea.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mute, follow up to Moon (set in the same universe).
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Girl Who Played With Fire? US version.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Davonator wrote: »
    The end of Flash Gordon heavily points to a sequel (that didn't happen).

Similarily, David Lynch had started a draft for "Dune Messiah" before he learned
    that "Dune" wasn't successful enough to gain a sequel.

Lynch would probably have had a ball with the Resurrected man
    and the shapeshifters in DM....
  • Options
    Billy HicksBilly Hicks Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    I seriously thought 'Cloverfield' would be the start of a major franchise - I even remember reading there were plans for a sequel. That moment where the guy filming it all films someone else filming him seemed to be a nod to that, a second movie could have been the entire same day's events from the point of view of the other camera and a different set of people.

Thinking back it was astonishingly ahead of its time given it was all filmed in 2007 and released early 2008 - the very early beginnings of the smartphone revolution, and sequels could have updated technology from the handheld camcorders seen in the first movie to the iPhones of today.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    The Girl Who Played With Fire? US version.

David Fincher is still talking about it but who knows if it will ever happen.
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Doc Savage: Man of Bronze": George Pal supposedly bought the rights to all 181 books but his death and the movie bombing put paid to any more.
  • Options
    kjhskj75kjhskj75 Posts: 3,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In 1940 Spencer Tracy made "Northwest Passage - Part 1 - Roger's Rangers"

There never was a part 2.

Mel Brooks "History of the World Part One" ends with a trailer for Part 2, though that was probably a joke.

Pity, I would have liked Hitler on Ice.
  • Options
    Tindie_BaisTindie_Bais Posts: 2,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GLADIATOR 2
    The Oscar-winning success of the Ridley Scott epic led two screenwriters (Nick Cave was bizarrely one of them) to pen sequels, despite the fact that the main character sort of died at the end of the first. The idea was that Maximums would be fighting Roman gods in the afterlife. Poor guy.

ELF 2
    Will Ferrell was offered an obscene $29m (£18.3m) to don the tights for a second time yet ultimately turned it down as he didn't like the idea of a sequel. He didn't want to put up with the criticism if it was done wrong.

CLIFFHANGER 2: THE DAM
    After Cliffhanger became Stallone's biggest hit for a good while, a sequel was bandied around that would have seen his character help block a holy dam. Hmmm. When Daylight came out years later, Stallone revealed that any chance of the sequel happening died as it would have been too similar.

EI8HT
    Despite offering up an ending that didn't exactly scream for a follow-up, execs were desperate to repeat the success of the grim serial killer flick. Even director David Fincher said "I'd have less interest in that than I would in having cigarettes put out in my eyes." The original idea was to turn a script called Solace into the Seven sequel. It would have given Morgan Freeman's character clairvoyant abilities. That script is now going forward with Anthony Hopkins in the lead, unrelated to Seven.

FERRIS BUELLER 2: ANOTHER DAY OFF

In what would have been one of the most depressing films ever, a Ferris sequel was set to star Matthew Broderick in his 40s taking a day off work and hilarity ensuing. Relatively unknown screenwriter Rick Rapier wrote the damn thing and was shopping it around with no-one actually biting.

SERIOUSLY DUDE, WHERE'S MY CAR?

Despite poor reviews, the first film was a commercial success and with the ingeniously titled follow-up, it seemed like it was a sure thing. It would have been a virtual retread with Ashton Kutcher and Seann William Scott losing their car again. It never even got a script though and now, well, they're a bit too old for this kind of thing...

MATHILDA
    Luc Besson had originally planned a sequel that was to follow Natalie Portman's character take revenge on those who wronged her and Leon but due to Portman's ascent to stardom and legal issues, it was doomed. Instead the project transformed into the new Zoe Saldana thriller Colombiana.

GREMLINS 3D
    Apparently director Joe Dante originally deemed any sequel to the first film to be unnecessary so approached it with a light hand, not worrying too much about what happened. It's now been 21 years since Gremlins 2: The New Batch and attempts have been made to push a third one into production. Apparently a 3D follow-up (of course) was being developed although Dante claims that it's been dropped.

SPEED 3
    For anyone who endured Speed 2: Cruise Control, the thought of a third film is enough to cause at least one sleepless night. Before his death, Dennis Hopper stated that he'd be starring while another rumour had Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock discussing the possibility with Fox. Since then it's thankfully gone quiet...

SEARCHING FOR KEYSER SOZE
    There were many questions still left to be answered at the end of The Usual Suspects and apparently, writers have been trying to answer all those questions for us. Star Chazz Palminteri claimed that a sequel was definitely happening while Kevin Spacey was reportedly desperate to star in it. No official news though.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Stargate. Although it did get a massive TV series instead.
  • Options
    yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLIFFHANGER 2: THE DAM
    After Cliffhanger became Stallone's biggest hit for a good while, a sequel was bandied around that would have seen his character help block a holy dam. Hmmm. When Daylight came out years later, Stallone revealed that any chance of the sequel happening died as it would have been too similar

IIRC, the idea for the Cliffhanger sequel became Hard Rain with Christian Slater
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yaristaman wrote: »
    Bad Boys III- I'm still hoping
    Didn't Martin Lawrence confirm recently that this is definitely going ahead now?
  • Options
    rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    The sequel to Twins is called, cleverly, Triplets. In the film, they discover a third sibling, played by Eddie Murphy.

If this ever happens, I weep for all three of their careers. :(
  • Options
    ChristopherJChristopherJ Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if.... 2

David Sherwin had written a script, but after the disaster of Britannia Hospital no-one was interested in financing another Lindsay Anderson film, among other problems. The first film was so glorious though, and its ending so absolute, that a sequel seems misconceived and so it's probably a good thing it was never made.