Options

fridge/freezer throwing trip switch

workhorseworkhorse Posts: 2,836
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can I do anything to fix it myself,or do I accept its dead.

Comments

• Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Replace the trip switch with a nail ;)

but it probably will cost more to get it fixed unless its an expensive one then a trip to currys and getting a new one
  • Options
    varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could check to see if there's any obvious damage to the mains cable as that would be fairly cheap to fix. Otherwise fault-finding and repair is pretty much uneconomic.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rcb tripping means earth current leakage. compressor motor losing electrical insulation and slowly becoming unsafe. best to replace.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Sometimes a dodgy interior light is enough to blow the trip, take the bulb out and try again.

It happened with my cooker hood once.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no not light. its the wiring insulation on motor slowly wearing away. replace.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    no not light. its the wiring insulation on motor slowly wearing away. replace.

Online diagnosis huh? isn't the internet marvelous.
  • Options
    Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    It could be one of those modern fridge freezers that detect too much unhealthy foods or too much beer/wine forcing them to trip out... ;);)
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    Do you store your LSD in the fridge? That's what is causing it to trip out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all for replying,I am going now to take it out from Inbuilt kitchen and check the back as per advice.the light never worked even when it was new,so has no bulb in.I'll report back my findings.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    workhorse wrote: »
    Thank you all for replying,I am going now to take it out from Inbuilt kitchen and check the back as per advice.the light never worked even when it was new,so has no bulb in.I'll report back my findings.

If the compressor is very hot to the touch and it trips the switch every time it tries to kick in then it would need a new compressor - very expensive. :cry:
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    treme wrote: »
    Do you store your LSD in the fridge? That's what is causing it to trip out.

:D:D:D...
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    There's a chance (albeit, a slim one) that it's just gotten air-locked.

Leave it off for a whole day and then see if it still happens.
  • Options
    SchadenfreudSchadenfreud Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    There's a chance (albeit, a slim one) that it's just gotten air-locked.

Leave it off for a whole day and then see if it still happens.

Air locked? On a fridge/freezer? What do you mean by that exactly and why on earth do you think it would trip the rcd?

Can I have some more details please OP, Make and model would be a help.
    There are certain machines that have inherent faults that could be 'guessed' at over the internet due to knowledge of the components and systems used.

Other than that the only sure way to know what is wrong with it is to get an engineer out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that was a job getting it out,all damp underneath.made a hissing noise from gas tank(not sure of proper name) .well that was enough to tell me my fridge/freezer is dead.wires were all sound.well its outside now,I will send it to the dump.i am pained to have to not only look for a replacement but to spend £££.
    But thanks for all your Help.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Air locked? On a fridge/freezer? What do you mean by that exactly and why on earth do you think it would trip the rcd?

If the vaporising side of the refrigeration system isn't working efficiently liquid refrigerent can get into the compressor and that'd put a heavier load on the compressor which could cause the RCD to trip.

I know that, technically, it's not an "air-lock" but it's the same principle.