Options

Weight Loss Thread - 2013 Edition

Comments

• Options
    WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Thread has paused it seems.

Daily trivia: I ate quite a lot yesterday. I think I need to raise my calorie allowance a bit, but after yesterday I'm going to stick to 1800kcal for today and the rest of the week. I'll weigh myself again on Friday and then decide what to do from then.

Any news from anyone else?
  • Options
    BeccyJayne2247BeccyJayne2247 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stayed the same this week.:-(
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stayed the same is fine, and better than putting any on. I will be eating more today as we have people round tonight and I just know they will insist so if I stay the same by Monday I will be quite happy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    Stayed the same is fine, and better than putting any on. I will be eating more today as we have people round tonight and I just know they will insist so if I stay the same by Monday I will be quite happy.

Now that I've twice had weeks where I stay the same then lose a big chunk the next week, I'm now much less worried about the next weigh-in. Of course, what happens with me may not happen with other people, but if both you and Becca above haven't lost next week, maybe there will be a nice result the next.

When I've gone slightly over one day, I've caught up (or down) the next few days. Perhaps you can keep track of what you eat and then catch up. On the other hand, it does sound a bit odd that they will 'insist' if you're dieting, and tell them that you've had enough.
  • Options
    kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    evening peeps:D
    i started on my fitness/weight loss regime just after new year and so far i've lost around 6lbs, which im delighted with, im 66.6kg and 163 cms in height so id ideally like to lose another 6kgs to get down to 60kgs which is well within my healthy weight range [according to online calculators!!]
    i have stopped eating meat but i do still use dairy and eat fish occasionally, i eat a lot of fruit, veg, wholegrains and pulses and swim 4 times a week
    it is portion control i have problems with, i have started using a smaller plate and eating more slowly and taking more time to chew my food and drink more water, i know it sounds obvious but for me it seems to be helping, i started the new year at 69.8kg and im down to 66.6kg!! so im really pleased
    good luck everyone!!:D look forward to joining the discussion
    :D
    ps i use myfitnesspal app to log my foods and exercise which i find very useful!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kate36 wrote: »
    ps i use myfitnesspal app to log my foods and exercise which i find very useful!!

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do to log exercise. Today I've been to the gym, but also cycled here and there for shopping, quite a few miles in total. But I've only accounted for this by upping my activity level from 'light' to 'moderate' in a daily kcal calculation. Kate, could you please describe how you account for activity?
  • Options
    kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I lost 1lb at weigh in, so quite happy with slow and steady :)
  • Options
    kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CoolboyA wrote: »
    It really is good fun. It has a specific workout part to it as well which you can chose to last for 10, 25 or 45 minutes.

It arrived today and I had a good giggle dancing with my almost five year old :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kyresa wrote: »
    Well I lost 1lb at weigh in, so quite happy with slow and steady :)

Congratulations to you and everyone else who is losing weight and/or doing their best.
  • Options
    CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WinterFire wrote: »
    I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do to log exercise. Today I've been to the gym, but also cycled here and there for shopping, quite a few miles in total. But I've only accounted for this by upping my activity level from 'light' to 'moderate' in a daily kcal calculation. Kate, could you please describe how you account for activity?

You should be able to input individual exercise into the app.
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CoolboyA wrote: »
    You should be able to input individual exercise into the app.
    True. The way to do it would be to click on either the Exercise tab at the top of the Home page in My Fitness Pal or else on Track Exercise in the left-hand menu, and then on the next page to click on Add Exercise under the Cardiovascular heading. One can then enter the number of minutes cycled and at what pace — say 10 to 12 mph or whatever. I think that's the way to do it rather than to alter one's general activity level.
  • Options
    Just VogueJust Vogue Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're concerned about sudden weight loss like that, you should go and see your GP as it may be a symptom of something else.

Thanks, was very nearly considering going to the doctors but had a bit of a google before doing so. Someone said that sudden decreases in weight can be caused by dehydration. They were right, I'd been neglecting to drink last week (Eating less seems to make me less thirsty as it is, and I was so busy last week I must have just completely forgot). Upped my intake of fluid and put back on 4 pounds almost over night! :eek: Means I lost 3 pounds last week which is pretty healthy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WinterFire wrote: »

have you looked on the exercise database on the app or the website? it has various options for different activities and you log the time you spent doing such and such and it calculates the calories burned
    click on the exercise tab and its really easy to enter
    eg i go swimming four times a week so on the days i go i 'add exercise' choose swimming 'breaststroke general' and then however many minutes, usually 60-70 and it calculates the calorie expenditure
    good luck, i like the app and ive been using it for a while, you can also enter 'new' activities or add 'quick calories'
    :D
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    I see to be doing okay for once. I met my goal of losing a stone in January. Now aiming for losing 10lb in Feb and starting to believe this might actually be the year when I get to a healthy weight (long way to go though!).

I'm interested in how other people say losing weight changes their size. I have a difference of 6 stone in my minimum and maximum weight across my adult life (which goes between healthy and obsese) and I've only ever been two sizes (sure at the smaller end of one to the bigger end of the other but never actually a different size).

I lost 60 pounds (over 4 stones) in total. That took me from a 18 -20 to a 12-14 (aiming for a 10-12).
    As you said you varied over your adult life, perhaps vanity sizing is coming into play here. A lot of manufacturers now size their clothes differently so what is now a size 10 would have been a 12 or even a 14 20 years ago.
    Having said that I personally don't really focus on fitting into a particular size, as they often vary between shops. I'm more interested in my health and fitness, rather than my appearance and fashion (though buying smaller clothes is a very nice bonus of course)
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I weighed in at 11st 2 this morning. I was 11st 7 at the beginning of January, but I weighed in that day in the evening. I reckon I probably fluctuate that much throughout the day. So I'm probably back where I started at the beginning of the year in all honesty. Still, I haven't gained and I'm gradually reducing the amount of rubbish I want to eat. Ate a lot yesterday too as it was a friend's birthday.

I can live with that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im going to be aching tomorrow, i did a 4 mile run on the treadmill today, havent done that for a while!! enjoyed it though:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weighed in this morning another 2lb loss.
  • Options
    rammsteinqueenrammsteinqueen Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've recently started this and really enjoying it - usually hate running! The podcasts are really useful.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/get-running-with-couch-to-5k.aspx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    I need help :( seem to have fallen off the wagon fri,sat,sun and monday! Not given any thought to what ive been shoving in my mouth at all, :( its making me miserable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I need help :( seem to have fallen off the wagon fri,sat,sun and monday! Not given any thought to what ive been shoving in my mouth at all, :( its making me miserable.

don't lose heart, we all have off days, was it anything particular that set it off? dont wallow or it will make you feel more miserable and you will only comfort eat..get going again and allow your treats to be just that..treats, learn from it and move on:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You have just had a little holiday from the diet, many people say it kick starts your metabolism if you increase calories for a few days. So all is not lost just move on and forget it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kate36 wrote: »
    don't lose heart, we all have off days, was it anything particular that set it off? dont wallow or it will make you feel more miserable and you will only comfort eat..get going again and allow your treats to be just that..treats, learn from it and move on:D

Not really, i went out to lunch with my mum on saturday and then after that i figured id already ruined myself so might aswell eat what i want now :(

Today is a new day :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    You have just had a little holiday from the diet, many people say it kick starts your metabolism if you increase calories for a few days. So all is not lost just move on and forget it.

Yeah youre right. Thankyou :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Have now lost 10lb in a month. Happy with that and am trying to lose a bit extra this week as it's Valentine's Day next week and I'm not sure where we are going! Am sure that healthy food will not have been my husband's first concern though. He claims to be supportive, but really its only when it suits him!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done !