Options

What are the UK's immigration limits???

Dannyboy1978ukDannyboy1978uk Posts: 337
Forum Member
With Europe getting bigger and other countries joining the free movement in europe I was wondering what limit the lefties think the UK should accept. Plenty of lefties are pro Bulgaria and Romania joining and alowing as many or little to leave for countries like the UK.

At what point do we say enough!!!!

Comments

• Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With Europe getting bigger and other countries joining the free movement in europe I was wondering what limit the lefties think the UK should accept. Plenty of lefties are pro Bulgaria and Romania joining and alowing as many or little to leave for countries like the UK.

At what point do we say enough!!!!

What's a leftie?
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    What's a leftie?

Somebody old like Dennis Skinner.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    We are at that point now, Services are failing to cope now. We have a shortage of houseing, and jobs, The NHS is stugling to cope, schools are getting over crowded. It is time to close the borders and say enough is enough.When we can no longer look after people from the UK , how can we be axpected to look after more from europe
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ohhh but we need employment to pay for our ever growing retired population!!

Hold on!!!!! What will happen when all the new lot get old and retire !!

I've got it!! Get more immigrants !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Ohhh but we need employment to pay for our ever growing retired population!!

Hold on!!!!! What will happen when all the new lot get old and retire !!

I've got it!! Get more immigrants !

It's worked for the United States for the past 200 years.
  • Options
    timetosaygoodbytimetosaygoodby Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all immigration should stop, it is very clear we cannot cope and the US is not comparable to the UK firstly it does not have a long cultural history like Britain, it is a country made of immigration from its very beginning and it is is massively larger then the UK
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mithy73 wrote: »
    It's worked for the United States for the past 200 years.

Has it worked? Have you not seen the amount of poverty and debt the US have??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Has it worked? Have you not seen the amount of poverty and debt the US have??

The USA is economically and militarily the #1 nation on the planet. We used to occupy that spot, once. So yes, I'd say it has worked. Yes, there are downsides but that is true of any country and the USA does things differently to us (and individual states do some things differently to one another, so it doesn't pay to generalise too far).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyway back to the point asked, what limit should we set!!! when do we say enough is enough??
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    What's a leftie?

Left-handed people?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyway back to the point asked, what limit should we set!!! when do we say enough is enough??

"We"? Never. We are not a gestalt entity with one unified mind. People will always have different opinions - some will think (and say) that enough is enough already, others will simply not care or not consider the situation to be a significant problem, or indeed a problem at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "We"? Never. We are not a gestalt entity with one unified mind. People will always have different opinions - some will think (and say) that enough is enough already, others will simply not care or not consider the situation to be a significant problem, or indeed a problem at all.

Ok Mithy73. What is your personal opinion on the imigration limit that will benifit this country and for future generations!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The USA is economically and militarily the #1 nation on the planet. We used to occupy that spot, once. So yes, I'd say it has worked. Yes, there are downsides but that is true of any country and the USA does things differently to us (and individual states do some things differently to one another, so it doesn't pay to generalise too far).

It is only economically and militarily number 1 because it spends so much money on the military and if you look it is not going to be the number 1 economy for much longer. Also it does not have many of the public services we have such as the NHS and they still have the largest debt in the world.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    None of you can actually answer the question can you!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

thats a shock, the lefties can only say we need immigration but fail to give a limit or acknowledge the downsides
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bump.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ok Mithy73. What is your personal opinion on the imigration limit that will benifit this country and for future generations!!!

See below.

I've already given you a hint. Allow me to put it more plainly.

The answer is that the question is ridiculous: there is no nice, neat, simple figure that one can pluck out of the air and say "this is the maximum population this island shall have".

There are many factors that influence both population capacity and a desirable population density, and it's not the same answer for everyone or in all times. Some people love the urban life, so population densities in the mid-hundreds per square kilometer are right up their alley. Some people love the quiet rural life, so population densities in single or double digits per square kilometer are more their cup of tea. And capacity has grown with technological advancement. A century ago this island could probably not have sustained today's population levels.
    It is only economically and militarily number 1 because it spends so much money on the military

The UK and France spend similar proportions of their GDP on defence, as I recall.
    and if you look it is not going to be the number 1 economy for much longer.

Nothing lasts forever.
    Also it does not have many of the public services we have such as the NHS

The NHS? That would be "the sixty-year mistake" as that darling of the rabid Right put it?
    and they still have the largest debt in the world.

So? People with bigger incomes have bigger mortgages...
    thats a shock, the lefties can only say we need immigration but fail to give a limit or acknowledge the downsides

That's a shock, another judgemental generalisation, written a whole six minutes after the preceding post on a quiet Saturday morning before anyone else had a chance to respond.
  • Options
    Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With Europe getting bigger!

Are countries being physically added to the continent of Europe or are some European countries growing in geographical size ? Or something else ?
  • Options
    Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [the US] is massively larger then the UK

What is the difference between a country which is 'larger' than another and a country which is 'massively larger' than another ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bump.....

Look, ADD boy, you don't need to bump a thread that's only ten minutes old. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    See below.

I've already given you a hint. Allow me to put it more plainly.

The answer is that the question is ridiculous: there is no nice, neat, simple figure that one can pluck out of the air and say "this is the maximum population this island shall have".

There are many factors that influence both population capacity and a desirable population density, and it's not the same answer for everyone or in all times. Some people love the urban life, so population densities in the mid-hundreds per square kilometer are right up their alley. Some people love the quiet rural life, so population densities in single or double digits per square kilometer are more their cup of tea.

The UK and France spend similar proportions of their GDP on defence, as I recall.

Nothing lasts forever.

The NHS? That would be "the sixty-year mistake" as that darling of the rabid Right put it?

So? People with bigger incomes have bigger mortgages...

That's a shock, another judgemental generalisation, written a whole six minutes after the preceding post on a quiet Saturday morning before anyone else had a chance to respond.

And Mithy73 I asked your personal opinion!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Look, ADD boy, you don't need to bump a thread that's only ten minutes old. :D

I was sarcastically saying no one can give an answer, or at least a personal point of view. Of coarse people will have different opinions, what is yours !!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And Mithy73 I asked your personal opinion!!!!
    I was sarcastically saying no one can give an answer, or at least a personal point of view. Of coarse people will have different opinions, what is yours !!!!

I've given it. My personal opinion is that there isn't a figure you can pluck out of thin air and declare to be a hard limit. Population capacity isn't a fixed value. Nor is demand. There's also not a one-size-fits-all answer; different cities, counties and regions have different degrees of pressure on them. What might work for London may not do so for Bristol or Edinburgh or Leeds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've given it. My personal opinion is that there isn't a figure you can pluck out of thin air and declare to be a hard limit. Population capacity isn't a fixed value. Nor is demand.

Mithy73 I'll make it easy for you!

Do you think 200 million is to many for the UK ????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mithy73 I'll make it easy for you!

No you won't. You'll try to make it easier for yourself by framing the debate on your own terms. Sorry, but I am not obliged to play that game.
    Do you think 200 million is to many for the UK ????

It's a meaningless question. Like I said, population capacity is not a fixed value, and is dependent on a large number of variables. Roughly a third of the UK's population is concentrated in London and the South East, if memory serves. And the population is not going to increase to 200 million overnight, or very probably at all.