Non-alcoholic and de-alcoholised wines

Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
Forum Member
Part of my job requires me to be on-call 24/7 for one week in four.
That includes a weekend, when I like a wine or two.

Recently, The Times praised Torres Natureo, so I purchased a few bottles.
It's a white wine and I'm very familiar with the Torres brand, especially the De Casta rose and Sangre De Toro red.

The Natureo is ok, but it's still got a slightly sweet tang to it. I still get the impression that I'm drinking 'pop'.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good non-alcoholic wine, preferably as dry as possible? (dry taste that is).

Comments

• davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Part of my job requires me to be on-call 24/7 for one week in four.
    That includes a weekend, when I like a wine or two.

Recently, The Times praised , so I purchased a few bottles.
    It's a white wine and I'm very familiar with the Torres brand, especially the De Casta rose and Sangre De Toro red.

The Natureo is ok, but it's still got a slightly sweet tang to it. I still get the impression that I'm drinking 'pop'.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good non-alcoholic wine, preferably as dry as possible? (dry taste that is).

I've yet to taste a good non-alcoholic wine or beer. I did try Torres Natureo which i think is very low (Less than 1% IIRC) and didn't enjoy it. I usualy just have apple juice or ginger beer (the non alcohol type). I'd be interested to try some suggestions though of wine, and like you I like it really dry, that is non-alcoholic but tastes like the real stuff.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    Same here, I don't think a good non-alcoholic wine exists, certainly tried a few and never found one.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once ordered a case from a reputable online supplier - not inexpensive I may say - about two years ago.
    The white wines tasted like grape juice and the reds like flat Ribena.
    We tasted them alongside normal wine and agreed there was no pint in offering them to any guests.
    We probably still have some at the back of a cupboard.
    Never again.
  • GaditanoGaditano Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the alcohol that gives wine its body and structure. Without them it's grape juice.

If you want a dry non-boozy drink, try tonic water or cranberry juice. Or mix them.
  • phepiaphepia Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kobbaberg do a fantastic non alcoholic pear cider. It is very tangy and I prefer it.
    I know its not wine, but its still a non alcoholic drink I would recommend you try.
    I am not allowed to drink alcohol and its a perfect substitute
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, is it "non-alcoholic cider" or just a fizzy drink?
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    I once ordered a case from a reputable online supplier - not inexpensive I may say - about two years ago.
    The white wines tasted like grape juice and the reds like flat Ribena.
    We tasted them alongside normal wine and agreed there was no pint in offering them to any guests.
    We probably still have some at the back of a cupboard.
    Never again.

That's the thing, and I'm probably looking at having to put up with it.
    Forum Member
    So, is it "non-alcoholic cider" or just a fizzy drink?

Non-alcoholic cider. To me it tastes more or less the same as the alcoholic one.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phepia wrote: »
    Kobbaberg do a fantastic non alcoholic pear cider. It is very tangy and I prefer it.
    I know its not wine, but its still a non alcoholic drink I would recommend you try.
    I am not allowed to drink alcohol and its a perfect substitute

Considering the principle ingredient in Kopparberg Pear Cider is water it shouldn't be allowed to be marketed as a "cider" in the first place. It is an alco-pop and should be marketed as such. The principle ingredient in cider should be fermented apple juice or, in the case of perry, fermented perry pear juice not water.

I'm also on call 24/7 one week in four but I still have a beer the weekend I'm on call. However I have just that, one beer. ;)
    Forum Member
    Considering the principle ingredient in Kopparberg Pear Cider is water it shouldn't be allowed to be marketed as a "cider" in the first place. It is an alco-pop and should be marketed as such. The principle ingredient in cider should be fermented apple juice or, in the case of perry, fermented perry pear juice not water.

I'm also on call 24/7 one week in four but I still have a beer the weekend I'm on call. However I have just that, one beer. ;)

Where do you get these rules from?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where do you get these rules from?

What rules? :confused:
  • Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sainsburys do an own brand non alcoholic wine in red, rose and white which is good. The white tastes like wine when chilled...not so much when room temperature. Sainsburys non alcoholic red smells and tastes like red wine not grape juice. Haven't tried the rose.

Becks Blue is a great non alcoholic lager.

You could always try the Non Alcoholic wine shop, I know some sportsmen buy from it so they can still be sociable and drive the night before the match:

http://www.alcoholfree.co.uk/
    Forum Member
    What rules? :confused:

The 'rules' you've quoted for what makes it cider or not. Or did you just make them up?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 'rules' you've quoted for what makes it cider or not. Or did you just make them up?

Cider was brougfht over to the UK by the Normans @ 1000 years ago and it was/is made by cold pressing apples and letting the juice naturally ferment.

To me that is all cider should be, nothing more, nothing less. Perry is made in the same as cider, except perry pears are used instead of cider apples

It isn't a "rule", it is what cider is!

The only time a cider producer would add water is to weaken the cider to the desired strength, they would never "start" with water as the main ingrediant as it isn't needed in the cider making process!

If you ever wondered what happened to all the heavily-marketed "alcopops" of a few years ago, the answer is many of them have been re-launched as "fruit ciders".
    Forum Member
    Cider was brougfht over to the UK by the Normans @ 1000 years ago and it was/is made by cold pressing apples and letting the juice naturally ferment.

To me that is all cider should be, nothing more, nothing less. Perry is made in the same as cider, except perry pears are used instead of cider apples

It isn't a "rule", it is what cider is!

The only time a cider producer would add water is to weaken the cider to the desired strength, they would never "start" with water as the main ingrediant as it isn't needed in the cider making process!

If you ever wondered what happened to all the heavily-marketed "alcopops" of a few years ago, the answer is many of them have been re-launched as "fruit ciders".

I was wondering if there were any 'laws' to be fair like the German purity law for Beer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was wondering if there were any 'laws' to be fair like the German purity law for Beer.

To be honest there should be. If there were a Cider purity law similar to the German Purity Law for beer the vast majority of products currently available in pubs and supermarkerts as "cider" wouldn't be allowed to be sold.