Options

Family habits

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
Are there things that you and your family do that others don't or may think odd.

One for me is mint sauce.
When I was young we used to have lamb every week for sunday dinner. We also had mint growing in the garden.
Lamb & mint sauce - classic combo!

But since then what every roast we have be it beef, pork, chicken or turkey the mint sauce is always slathered over - with added malt vinegar!

Comments

• Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We never had regular Sunday roasts, but every Sunday morning my dad would make breakfast burritos- scrambled eggs, bacon, grated cheddar and spicy salsa wrapped in a flour tortilla. In fact, I don't think we were ever without tortillas in the house.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Are there things that you and your family do that others don't or may think odd.

When I was young we used to have lamb every week for sunday dinner. We also had mint growing in the garden.

But since then what every roast we have be it beef, pork, chicken or turkey the mint sauce is always slathered over - with added malt vinegar!

It took me a decade to get Mrs. B off having mint sauce with every roast. Used to drive me mad. Now she doesn't even have it with lamb.

She still puts malt vinegar on lasagne which i think is odd, but i pick my battles.
  • Options
    JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    napping on the sofa with a duvet over you in the daytime
    oops sorry I didn't realise it was in the food and drink forum
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chillie sauce with quorn vege sausage rolls. Yummy. Even the non vegetarians in my family love those.
  • Options
    Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    Jumbobones wrote: »
    napping on the sofa with a duvet over you in the daytime
    oops sorry I didn't realise it was in the food and drink forum

Did we wake you up :p:D

My OH likes mint sauce on toast!...he also puts the stuff on every meat he eats.
  • Options
    fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »

I do the mint sauce with every roast thing too, my family think it's weird.
  • Options
    JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me and my brothers and sisters used to squish bread really thin when we had sandwiches and say it was called 'soucron' bread.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must be something about mint sauce because it's mint sauce on cauliflower for us, also beetroot and salad cream sandwiches.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We would always have a big plate of toasted pitta bread on the table when we had spag bol and chilli con carne. Torn in half and used as pockets, we would fill them up with the mince. I still do it now. I mentioned it to a friend once and she thought it was really odd because it's not traditional, but a pitta pocket filled with chilli is delicious so I don't care!
  • Options
    MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petit-pois wrote: »
    We would always have a big plate of toasted pitta bread on the table when we had spag bol and chilli con carne. Torn in half and used as pockets, we would fill them up with the mince. I still do it now. I mentioned it to a friend once and she thought it was really odd because it's not traditional, but a pitta pocket filled with chilli is delicious so I don't care!

I totally understand this. I have to have bread with Spag Bol or Chilli. (Although, saying that, any bread at all will do, I've just got to have some).
  • Options
    phepiaphepia Posts: 1,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Malt vinegar over boiled/microwaved garden peas - heaven!
  • Options
    Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In our family we used to have apple sauce with every roast - mainly because my brother wouldn't eat anything without apple sauce.

It was at primary school that I found out raw mushrooms + mayonnaise was not a common sandwich filling.

That the meal we'd always known as "chips and egg" was in fact known more widely as "egg and chips". Still sounds weird now.
  • Options
    john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My family used to have a meal that I've never seen anywhere else. It was a packet of Knorr parsley sauce into which you'd add a tin of red salmon and stir together and the pour over a plate of mashed potato.

It was delicious.
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In our family we used to have apple sauce with every roast - mainly because my brother wouldn't eat anything without apple sauce.

It was at primary school that I found out raw mushrooms + mayonnaise was not a common sandwich filling.

That the meal we'd always known as "chips and egg" was in fact known more widely as "egg and chips". Still sounds weird now.

Its called Chips and Egg in Shirley Valentine. because of that, i would always call it chips and egg
  • Options
    Rab64Rab64 Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mint sauce with both Lamb and Beef, but must be Apple sauce with Pork
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Rab64 wrote: »
    Mint sauce with both Lamb and Beef, but must be Apple sauce with Pork
    We also have apple sauce with chicken and turkey.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Sunday Tea. On Sunday evening we'd always have sandwiches, crisps and cake for tea. Every Sunday without exception....usually watching Howard's Way.
  • Options
    WombatDeathWombatDeath Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't stand proper mint sauce, it has to be the jarred stuff with more vinegar stirred in before serving. I only have it on lamb, though, unlike some of you weirdos.

Cheese and lemon juice on pancakes, as I think I've mentioned before.

And I used to eat Readybrek (do they still make that?) without milk (i.e. completely dry) but at some point I stopped doing that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my sister and I still enjoy vegetable soup poured over chips, with loads of bread and butter for dipping:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petit-pois wrote: »

Mum always served slices of baguette with chilli con carne or spag bol. I never really questioned it until now!
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday Tea. On Sunday evening we'd always have sandwiches, crisps and cake for tea. Every Sunday without exception....usually watching Howard's Way.

Did we live in the same house? We always did that on Sundays too.:-)
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    chopsim wrote: »
    Did we live in the same house? We always did that on Sundays too.:-)

Ours too- I thought it was a northern thing

Not to Howard's Way though- no tv allowed when eating!
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    Ours too- I thought it was a northern thing

Not to Howard's Way though- no tv allowed when eating!

That was part of it though. In the front room in front of the telly. Every other meal during the week was at the dining table in the kitchen. So to be allowed to eat down from the table was great. And with the TV on! Woohoo.
  • Options
    GaditanoGaditano Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Malt vinegar and grated cheese sandwiches. Has to be grated cheese!
  • Options
    .Dozy Rosie.Dozy Rosie Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whenever we had salad as kids the cucumber had always been soaking in vinegar all day...I don't do it but must admit it was nice!! Mine would be bread sauce..only tend to do it at Christmas but could have it with every roast dinner!!! YUM