Recovering money from Australia - ripped off

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi All,

I'm writing this for my father. He bought some militaria from a woman in Australia for about £2,600 this was 6 months ago. Unfortunately as he is not on the internet he just lodged it to her account (he knew other people who had successfully dealt with her before) so he has no recourse via ebay or paypal.

We have tried emailing her but get no reply, we've lodged a case with the fraud people over here but that's getting nowhere. I've now bought something from her on ebay to try to open up the channels of communication but am just waiting for them to give me my feedback before messaging them on there.

Anyway I doubt there is much we can do but just thought I'd throw it out there to the good people of DS in case anyone else has had this problem and managed to recover their money?

Ta

Comments

• BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably you still have this womans bank details? Have you tried contacting her bank to see what they say - even if they cant actually do anything they may be able to point you in the direction of someone who can?
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Ber wrote: »
    Presumably you still have this womans bank details? Have you tried contacting her bank to see what they say - even if they cant actually do anything they may be able to point you in the direction of someone who can?

Would the women bank even talk to a stranger about her account in anyway, things like the DPA protect people from this, might as well talk to your own bank about it more chance of getting advice
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP does not actually explain what has occurred.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Would the women bank even talk to a stranger about her account in anyway, things like the DPA protect people from this, might as well talk to your own bank about it more chance of getting advice

Not her account, no. But they would have their own fraud department and would know what the procedures would be (if any) to potentially recover any money or start a case against this woman in Australia.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not her account, no. But they would have their own fraud department and would know what the procedures would be (if any) to potentially recover any money or start a case against this woman in Australia.

As far as the banks are concerned, if it went to the correct account that's probably the end of the matter (and I doubt they'll give legal advice). He should look at debt recovery procedures in Australia, assuming he has a sound case and her real life name and address.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    The OP does not actually explain what has occurred.

Sorry I was unclear. He paid her the money for the goods but none arrived, when we've tried to contact her via email we've received no reply. My dads friend who has dealt with her before got a reply when they said they'd be contacting the police but she still hasn't sent the good or returned the money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    As far as the banks are concerned, if it went to the correct account that's probably the end of the matter (and I doubt they'll give legal advice). He should look at debt recovery procedures in Australia, assuming he has a sound case and her real life name and address.

Thanks for replying, yes he tried speaking to the police in Australia who said to speak to the ones over here who said to speak to the fraud department so we're waiting on them to get back to us but not holding out much hope.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I know he's spoken to his bank over here but not sure if he has spoken to hers - worth a shot - thanks
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for replying, yes he tried speaking to the police in Australia who said to speak to the ones over here who said to speak to the fraud department so we're waiting on them to get back to us but not holding out much hope.

Even if it's not fraud, she owes him the money (and even if the police pursue it as fraud, that doesn't necessarily get him the money back!). He should be looking at how to pursue a civil claim in Australia.
  • OndineOndine Posts: 3,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has he asked his bank if they would consider chargeback? He needs to do it quickly as the limit is 180 days if goods are bought from abroad.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry I was unclear. He paid her the money for the goods but none arrived, when we've tried to contact her via email we've received no reply. My dads friend who has dealt with her before got a reply when they said they'd be contacting the police but she still hasn't sent the good or returned the money.
    What did she say in the reply?
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ondine wrote: »
    Has he asked his bank if they would consider chargeback? He needs to do it quickly as the limit is 180 days if goods are bought from abroad.
    The OPs post implies the money was paid by bank transfer directly into the seller's bank account, no credit or debit card was involved so chargeback is not an option.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What did she say in the reply?

She said that there was no need for that and she's going through a difficult time as her husband is ill so that's why she's selling his collection but didn't say she would send the goods or give the money back or communicate any further.

Any further emails have been completely ignored. Thanks for the recommendation re the civil court, stupidly hadn't thought of that, had a look into it and I think we'd need to be present according to their system but it gave us the idea of a debt collection agent so we're looking into that.

Thanks as usual DS.