Show Humax your Top 10 software issues to address

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come on owners - stick down your top 10 or 5 if you cant think of much - or one or two. If we get lots of responses it will start to show what is most important within a top 10 oand we can shove it Humaxs way. I wanted to do an early totalling up but there arent an aweful lot of posts. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    I only have two real gripes ....

1) Save the EPG to disk is a must. I am tired of turning the box on 10 minutes before I want to use it

2) Make the recordings list do something. I want to be able to at least delete from this list that appears after I have watched a recording.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    If pushed....

1) EPG on HDD - not really an issue for me as mine auto powers-up before I get home and anyway I have a once a week ritual of going through the Radio Times and setting the weeks schedule in one go

2) Auto Padding - fix the issues of sometimes not recording if the padding makes 3 recordings clash. Also what happens if you record the first prog on a p/t channel does this still cause problems if padding? - basically i think it is unusable as it stands.

3) Fix Thinks-it's-recording bug which seems to happen if you experience the above

4) Not a biggie but I'm finding the truncating of names in the recordings list mildly annoying

5) An option to switch off MHEG - just in case

Now were really talking minor issues....

6) An option to switch off the "Recording started" pop-up

7) Customisable Channel Names (Channel... on the front display isn't too helpful)

8) Playlists (for overnight archiving to VHS/DVD)

9) Folders or alpha sort on the recordings list - finding that particular episode of Deadwood can be a pain when you're 4 weeks behind with 65 recordings on the box

10) More than 20 slots - not normally a prob now as i'm not a soap follower but I can see this being an issue for me at the end of July when FilmFour comes online!!!!

I was going to add season pass but a) i understand it's sky/tivo patented and b) if I went on holiday for a fortnight it would probably fill up the box with repeats of lost alone!

Not sure if all those are strictly witihin the remit of this thread but I can't be arsed to check now :)

Lastly don't get me wrong I still think the 9200 is the best thing since, well the wheel and fire quite frankly!!

regards

David
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    I'd like Humax to address the following:

- Save EPG
    - Fix autopadding bugs which cause recordings to fail
    - Stop the buffer clearing unless really necessary
    - Recording message banner should not appear
    - 32 speed fast forward

Think the Hummy is a great piece of kit especially now it has chase play and also with it's 2 hour buffer. (Bit mystified as to why Doctor Who didn't record on Saturday - I'm sure that I set it to and it wasn't set to record anything else at the time - perhaps I just imagined setting it to record?!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KEM wrote:
    I'd like Humax to address the following:

- Save EPG
    - Fix autopadding bugs which cause recordings to fail
    - Stop the buffer clearing unless really necessary
    - Recording message banner should not appear
    - 32 speed fast forward

Think the Hummy is a great piece of kit especially now it has chase play and also with it's 2 hour buffer. (Bit mystified as to why Doctor Who didn't record on Saturday - I'm sure that I set it to and it wasn't set to record anything else at the time - perhaps I just imagined setting it to record?!)

Might be worth creating a Dr Who thread if this happens again to try andtrouble shoot it/gather information, as it appears you are not the only one with this PVR and by the looks of it other PVRs who has had something funny happen.

Second everything in your list by the way. Keep em coming as I intend to use it as backup
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    1. Wen you press ok in the recorded programs menu , select a play option with a second click to commence the play , rather than delete as a default!
    2. A 10 or 14 day (not 7) EPG to hard Disk with update checks every hour
    3. More Recoding Slots - 20 is a joke
    4. Weekday recording opttion in addition to daily and weekly
    5. Auto update the recording times on weekly / daily records if the time is different. i.e. if say Casualty is on 8pm one week but 8.15 the next the Hummy works this out by the title name in EPG.
    6. Add a switch to function like sky has i.e. you select a program in the epg and at that time the program being viewed switches automatically or on the press of the ok key (some freeview boxes have this too).
    7. Our MHeg Off switch!
    8. Ability to sort the recorded program list by different means (i.e. program name, length etc) and the same with the recording schedule.
    9. PIP while watching a recorded program
    10. Some updated games!!!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    dougk wrote:
    If you want this, buy a 4TV box!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    dougk wrote:
    1. Wen you press ok in the recorded programs menu , select a play option with a second click to commence the play , rather than delete as a default!
    3. More Recoding Slots - 20 is a joke
    4. Weekday recording opttion in addition to daily and weekly
    5. Auto update the recording times on weekly / daily records if the time is different. i.e. if say Casualty is on 8pm one week but 8.15 the next the Hummy works this out by the title name in EPG.
    6. Add a switch to function like sky has i.e. you select a program in the epg and at that time the program being viewed switches automatically or on the press of the ok key (some freeview boxes have this too).
    7. Our MHeg Off switch!
    8. Ability to sort the recorded program list by different means (i.e. program name, length etc) and the same with the recording schedule.
    9. PIP while watching a recorded program
    10. Some updated games!!!!!!

Given the problems with autopadding etc and the good suggestions for enhancements mentioned in this thread (I second KEM's list), please don't suggest that Humax waste their time writing more games. That should be the least of their worries. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty much the same as the majority but here goes:-

1) Improve the EPG - a) Save data to HDD for instant retrieval. b) Show at least 8 channels on the screen. c) Show day name in the EPG

2) Dim the front panel screen when recorder off (it is SO bright!)

3) Sort out the ridiculously useless USB '2' transfers.

4) Must be able to turn subtitles on/off at will whilst timeslipping (so annoying!) Maybe also change subtitle button behaviour so rather than showing an option for English/Off, just have one press turn them on, then off!

5) Imrove advert skip button selectable to 3 mins, 4 mins, maybe even more definable like 3m50s as sometimes 4 mins runs just over! On that note, maybe use the coloured buttons to select different jump times.

6) Add a delete option from the playlist button (under the flap). It's annoying to have to stop playback, go to menu, recordings, then delete etc. On Topfield, just select the playlist with one button press then 'white' button for delete, and bob's your uncle!

7) Add an ethernet port, wi-fi dongle, allow it to decode Divx videos.... nah just kidding about these!

Jon
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Given the problems with autopadding etc and the good suggestions for enhancements mentioned in this thread (I second KEM's list), please don't suggest that Humax waste their time writing more games. That should be the least of their worries. :)

I was joking about the games :-) - Personally I think they should get rid of them to free up space for other functions.

I have had no problems with the auto padding so far (or Dr Who!).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Well don't have 10 but here's some:

1. Blank screen MHEG issue needs addressing.

2. Autopadding problems needs fixing.

3. Save EPG to disk to enable quick EPG population when
    coming out of standby.

4. Ability to Delete recording from playlist (may be a feature but would be a great improvement)

Ok that's about it - lets hope this thread is treated seriously by Humax.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Here are mine:

1) Option to create playlist for overnight archving

2) No OSD for 2nd scart output

3) In the Recorded program Menu, change default so when you press OK, it does not go to delete option, rather bring up and option to Play, Edit, Delete, etc

4) FIX: If you are watching a timeshifted programme, it jumps to the present time if a recording kicks in.

5) FIX: Screen goes blank for a second or two when a recording kicks in.

6) Improve USB Transfers and error correction

7) keep sound going into Menus;

8) Delete programs from the recordings list display.

9) Keep buffer if going in / out menus.

10) Some sort of PDC

Pablo
    Forum Member
    One more from me ....

If you press a channel button to bring the box out of standby it SHOULD turn on and tune to that channel. Instead, it tunes to the last channel watched. A fix for this would be nice!
  • steven cardwellsteven cardwell Posts: 2,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Autopadding.

Last night, i found that this autopadding isn't as intelligent as i thought.

Taping Sky3 from 9-10, then 10-11, no problems with the 2nd recording knocking out the 1st's autopadding.

Taping E4 from9-10, then five 10-11, however five didn't record.

Seems that the autopadding being knocked out only works with a recording from the same channel.

Thing that annoys the most, is when placing the recordings in the schedule list, there is no warning that you would get if you had manually padded the same recordings.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    here goes

1) Add a delete option from the playlist menu and ,In the Recorded program Menu change the default from delete whilst adding a play option

2) Improve the EPG - by saving data to HDD and if possible adding day name and more channels

3) Add an option to turn of the recording message adn fix the going blank/no sound problem

4) Improve autopadding

5) Abilty to sort playlist by Name then date so you can get all the episodes of one program in a list

6) sort out the Thinks it's recording bug

7) Increase teh number of timers

8) Make chase play Return to real-time when you catch up

9) Add weekdays and weekends options in the repeat recordings menu
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    My issues/annoyances are (in no particular order):

1. EPG does not populate when watching a recording (surely there are 2 tuners free - what on earth are they doing?)

2. no delete option in playlist

3. No way to slow down the fast forward (I would like to use << to step the speed down one setting) for when you know you are approaching the start of a prog ...

4. no weekday and weekend options in repeat timers

5. chasepay behaviour when catchup to real time

6. EPG load time when watching live TV

But all in all a great machine, and it really HAS revolutionised the way I watch TV!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    The box does pretty much everything that I want, provided that I work around a few of the little niggles. However, the wife makes the point that we shouldn't have to work around defects that could be fixed. The remaining problems are not original but I'll list them to help Marc with his goal of getting the fixes prioritised:

1) Store EPG
    2) There should be no way that you should be able to schedule a recording or set autopadding in such a way that it causes an existing reservation to fail to record. (According to the wife, it is my fault when this happens rather than the fault of Humax, so I'm quite keen to see some improvements here!)
    3) Program information should be available from anywhere that a program can be selected (there are some inconsistencies, particularly in the reservations list).
    4) We find the message about the start of a scheduled recording to be very annoying when watching something else on the box (and absolutely useless if we're not watching it!).
    5) I can't see any reason why the quality of photo playback should not be improved. It appears to be done at low colour depth in software at the moment - is there no hardware acceleration that could be used?
    6) I don't understand why MP3s cannot be played at the same time as a recording is being made. Is this a lack of hardware acceleration?
    7) I understand why the USB connection does not come up as a mass storage device - the PC would have to support the Humax filesystem and there might be issues if the PC wrote to the PVR. However, there might be an alternative way of setting things up so that standard USB drivers and other software could be used. How about running something FTP-like over a virtual serial port?

I have worked around problems 5 and 6 by using a separate media player box but it would be nice to see the Humax doing these tasks better.

Cheers,

Sean
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to everyone who has felt they wanted to contribute here. There was a post by Humaxsupport earlier on in the month saying they would be letting their engineers out of the cupboard they usually keep them in to begin work on software issue concerns for users within the next month. So at the beginning of the week I started to pull together all the responses into a spreadsheet (so its easier to see which ones are getting most mention) and emailed it to Humax. The response I got back was good and we set a time to go through the list together one by one - me giving any further explanations were needed - and able to better explain impact from our perspective. The nice chap from Humax started to put a yes, no, maybe next to items on the list and has put together a shortlist to be sent to the engineers at the end of this week to comment on. He is expecting an even shorted list from the engineers over the next couple of weeks saying which things they are going to look at closer for us. I hope to know more about what they may be in a couple of weeks or so. They will also be looking at the series link and PDC stuff at the same time. Priority items are bug fixes like removing the fault where some recordings can be missed with autopadding and issues type things as well as at least some of the enhancements that you have all detailed - I hope.

If you would all keep them coming it will help for future rounds like this we have with the manufacturer.I didnt have as many responses as I wanted and I would have liked to have waited longer before collating but I though that if they are getting back on to the software side very soon we might as well give them something to look at already! Will keep you posted. P.S. I also included in my list all the things coming up in the relevant threads on hummy.org.uk
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marc

Great news, I do hope the USB problems are high on the list?

We do need to get reliable fast transfers before moving onto adding extra features.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Hi Marc

Main things for me:

1. 'Recording set' marker on EPG - please ask them to make this cope with manually added padding at the end of a programme. I still don't trust auto-padding so I tend to click OK on a programme in the EPG then edit the recording to add a few minutes. As soon as I do this the icon disappears.

2. Dates for repeat items - just last week I had problems with the dates on daily repeat items getting well ahead of themselves (by a couple of days!).

3. EPG to disk - would be very useful.

4. More recording slots - not so much an issue for me just now as TV is in a bit of a Summer lull but would be good in time for the Autumn!

5. Add day of the week to EPG rather than just date.

6. Make programme info available from the Schedule screen (i.e. pressing 'i' on a daily repeat recording will show info for the next scheduled showing).

7. Allow the EPG to be accessed from playback mode rather than just Live TV mode - sometimes you'll be watching a programme and suddenly remember something you wanted to record. Rather than having to stop, enter EPG, set recording, re-start previous recording, why not just allow access direct from playback?

8. Mon-Fri option for repeats rather than just once/daily/weekly.

Cheers

Alan
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I am brand new user of the 9200T and to this particular forum and must say I think it is great. However, the one thing that bugs me is this :
    If, while watching one channel, I look at the guide and want to select a program on another channel to be recorded that has already started, I seem to have to switch to that channel and then press record. I would like to just be able to select it as I would have been able if it was starting in the future. (unless I am doing something wrong :o )
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    No, I know what you mean. Perhaps they could alter the way it works so that OK still takes you to that programme if it's showing at present, but that pressing record would set a reservation? This would save having to leave the current programme.

Thought of one other addition - stop losing the buffer unnecessarily! For instance when watching a channel, then switching to something pre-recorded then why not just keep buffering? If both tuners end up being needed then fine, lose the buffer, but if they aren't then why not keep buffering? That way when you finish watching your recording and switch back to live tv (by pressing stop) you can rewind if you realise you've just come in mid-way through something.

Cheers

A.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    No, I know what you mean. Perhaps they could alter the way it works so that OK still takes you to that programme if it's showing at present, but that pressing record would set a reservation? This would save having to leave the current programme.

Thought of one other addition - stop losing the buffer unnecessarily! For instance when watching a channel, then switching to something pre-recorded then why not just keep buffering? If both tuners end up being needed then fine, lose the buffer, but if they aren't then why not keep buffering? That way when you finish watching your recording and switch back to live tv (by pressing stop) you can rewind if you realise you've just come in mid-way through something.

Cheers

A.

I have only just got this PVR and so far me and the wife love it

Anyway as i highlighted above i could have done with this lastnight

We watched a recording of Doctor Who and when it finished their was about 5 minutes left of Emmerdale (live) which we then realised we couldnt rewind to watch

So this would be a nice addition for us
    Forum Member
    1. Auto removal of autopadding if it will cause another recording to be impossible
    2. EPG to hard disk
    3. Delete items from list (button under flap)
    4. Don't lose the name of a show (from shedule) when setting it to weekly recording
    5. OK button on recording menu to play not delete item

Rob
  • PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One nice change I would like to see is

Change the List button on the remote to list the recorded programmes, save having to open the flap to play recordings

Unless I have missed something, when viewing live tv the List/OK button do the same thing anyway