Options

something strange - blank screen (merged)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
Forum Member
just had a wierd one. channel 4 blanked out , switched channels for a moment and picture returned for a few seconds then blanked out again then realised it was happening on all channels few seconds of picture then blank. this lasted for about five minutes now everything is ok again. sutton coldfield transmitter.
p.s no lockups since last update until yesterday when i used the wrong remote and accidently switched the pvr to itv3 - box locked within 10 minutes

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    I'd power it off at the back for a minute and then power back on and see if it happens again , if it does contact humax ... could just need resetting
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    I experienced the same problem as well tonight, it is to do with the MHEG engine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    the sooner we can turn that thing off the better
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 1,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As it affected all your channels I doubt very much that it is to do with the Mheg engine.

A more likely culprit is Transmitter problem, there is worked planned today on your transmitter Multiplexes 1, and B (liable to reduced power 0900-0500), maybe the work affected all Mutiplexes for that short period of time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A more likely culprit is Transmitter problem

if it is/was the transmitter why would changing channels on the pvr restore the picture for a short period ? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Catch-22 wrote:
    the sooner we can turn that thing off the better

I wouldn't hold your breath........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It just did it again on Sky news just now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The blank screen is now happening a lot to me, this is really annoying now. I can now replicate the problem - go into humax menu and come straight out of it and then change channels it must be a channel that uses mheg, like sky news then change the channel and go back to the original channel and the blank screen should appear.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone else not replicate this? egrant, do you have to do each step within/over a certain amount of seconds. Tell me which channels you are using. Cheers
  • Options
    Billy HuntBilly Hunt Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I've been experiencing the same thing myself this morning too. At least it's reassuring to know I'm not on my own :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Billy Hunt wrote:
    I've been experiencing the same thing myself this morning too. At least it's reassuring to know I'm not on my own :)

Can you tell what the exact steps are?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was watching sky sports news and also ITV2 last night, it is to do with having the mheg off, as this was a bug in the last software update when you would go into the menu and back out it would take the MHEG services off. So this morning I was watching sky sports news, I would go into the menu then back out, change the channel to sky news they change back to sky sports news and then the blank screen will appear.
  • Options
    PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had the same last night while going through the channels

It only affected E4 (when the press red should have appeared the screen blanked)
    I went to BBC1 (The news was on at the time) , the press RED appeared as it should here, going back to E4 after this and it was fine

It seems to be something strange with the Ch.4/E4 MHEG (as we know BB interactive dosnt work properly)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    egrant wrote:
    I was watching sky sports news and also ITV2 last night, it is to do with having the mheg off, as this was a bug in the last software update when you would go into the menu and back out it would take the MHEG services off. So this morning I was watching sky sports news, I would go into the menu then back out, change the channel to sky news they change back to sky sports news and then the blank screen will appear.

Thanks I will try that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    egrant wrote:

Thanks. Managed to do it on and off during a few attemps. Doesnt seem to happen if you select a non interactive channel like FIVE
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does anybody know if the new software that is coming up will fix the problemwith the MHEG being turned off by using the menu button.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    egrant wrote:
    Does anybody know if the new software that is coming up will fix the problemwith the MHEG being turned off by using the menu button.

I tested it on one of the pre release versions last week and it doesnt happen anymore.
  • Options
    mkstevomkstevo Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    I had some weird effects the other week whilst trying to watch Eurovision via the interactive services ( what were they singing about ... ) . I couldn't get it to work at all , I kept getting a message saying that this service has closed . During one of the many breaks I retuned the Humax , now when I tried to access the interactive service , I got Big Brother instead ! At half time , I deleted all tuned services and then retuned again , this worked , I could then see ( when they returned triumphant ) what Lordi were singing about - the Arockalypse is on its way !!

Had one or two customers with various boxes & IDTV's last week with similar problems , all cured with a reset & retune .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    I've been getting the same problem for a few days now. i.e the screen blanks out after a few seconds.

I thought it might be connected to the bug where you can't get interactive services and I have found that if I go to menu and play a recorded item, and then exit, it seems to fix it for a while.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This fault has not been fixed in the new software update, I have been getting the blank screen all time after entering the menu.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have now found out this only happens when you are recording a program, then go in and out of the menu and switch between channels you will get a blank screen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    egrant wrote:
    I have now found out this only happens when you are recording a program, then go in and out of the menu and switch between channels you will get a blank screen.

Thanks Ewan. I can feed this information though next time I am in contact with Humax. Any idea why this only started in the last week or so?
  • Options
    ramitramit Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    egrant wrote:

Is that with the new update?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes it still does this with the new software - but if you don't use the menu button much you may never experience this problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ramit wrote:
    Is that with the new update?

Old and new by the looks of things