Comments

• FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sam Malone was better than Frasier anyday

And....... no.

Sam Malone was a sitcom one trick pony.

Frasier is a Grand National.

Hey..... that's quite good. Must remember it.
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    Rebecca was a far better character than the annoying Diane and her whiney voice.
    Totally agree - in fact, I only got into Cheers once Diane left, and I even think the Sam character got better once she was gone... Cheers is one of the few sitcoms which was strong right until the end of its run, though (not wishing to start a fight) I always think Carla & Cliff became too one dimensional for the last few seasons...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally agree - in fact, I only got into Cheers once Diane left, and I even think the Sam character got better once she was gone... Cheers is one of the few sitcoms which was strong right until the end of its run, though (not wishing to start a fight) I always think Carla & Cliff became too one dimensional for the last few seasons...

I agree Carla did (though I liked her husband, Eddie LeBeq - and her first husband) but I thought Cliff actually improved as his 'interesting facts' became more and way out.
  • Midnight RunnerMidnight Runner Posts: 1,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers had a superb cast, but I don't think it was as well written as Frasier.

Both great shows but Frasier at its best (seasons 1-5 in particular) was as good as anything I've ever seen, comedy or otherwise. Even when the quality dipped slightly it was still better than anything else, and in David Hyde Pierce they found a gem of a supporting actor who often outshone Kelsey IMO.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for slightly misleading info I posted above - I had not seen that Frasier was back on again this morning. No idea why they're messing around like this - at least we don't seem to lose it completely during the school holidays which used to be the case.
  • TheSlayer10TheSlayer10 Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And....... no.

Sam Malone was a sitcom one trick pony.

Frasier is a Grand National.

Hey..... that's quite good. Must remember it.

How exactly? he actually had alot of depth
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Season 11 was definetly the worst written season I mean having Lillith just suddenly cheat on Frasier and leave him and their son was totally out of character.
  • cosmic buttplugcosmic buttplug Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yet not enough upon which to base an entire sitcom. I actually never quite got the Sam Malone character as a babe-magnet, more a product from the labratory of Dr Frankenstein. :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet not enough upon which to base an entire sitcom

That was probaly because Ted Danson was the one who ended Cheers as he wanted out so he was obviously bored of the character by that point.

Had he wanted to do a sitcom called Sam Malone I expect it would have happened then and would have been very successful same as Frasier imo
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any sitcom based around Sam 'Mayday' Malone would probably need him to leave 'Cheers', which he'd never do.

Frasier was a good choice, as he wasn't a Boston native, and therefore we'd never seen his extended family (bar the episode with his Mother, which is now quite rightly ignored and considered to not really exist). They therefore had a 'clean slate', so to speak, when creating them. Heck, they even brought his father back to life!
  • cosmic buttplugcosmic buttplug Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was probaly because Ted Danson was the one who ended Cheers as he wanted out so he was obviously bored of the character by that point.

Or maybe the writers felt that the SM character lacked sufficient depth upon which to base an entire series.
    Had he wanted to do a sitcom called Sam Malone I expect it would have happened then and would have been very successful same as Frasier imo

Oh, really? I suspect it wouldn't have. But then we will never really know, will we? :(
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers had a superb cast, but I don't think it was as well written as Frasier.

Both great shows but Frasier at its best (seasons 1-5 in particular) was as good as anything I've ever seen, comedy or otherwise. Even when the quality dipped slightly it was still better than anything else, and in David Hyde Pierce they found a gem of a supporting actor who often outshone Kelsey IMO.
    I completely agree with every single word you've written here!
    Nothing quite touches it for comic brilliance! And DHP.... what a genius!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or maybe the writers felt that the SM character lacked sufficient depth upon which to base an entire series.

As I already said Ted was the one who ENDED Cheers

A spin off was never gonna be an option for him

Oh, really? I suspect it wouldn't have. But then we will never really know, will we? :(

Precisely
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member

Can anyone recall an episode where Martin upsets the owner (Robert - which has a delicious line based on the Englush and french pronuciation of the name) of a fancy food store which stocks a dog food that Eddie falls in love with?

I think thats Season 5 Episode 17? It was the same episode where Frasier says about Gil "Well, that's time first time I've ever seen a man 'in' himself!" :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

90% of the character, and the humour from it, was about him being a serial womaniser.

Much of the the rest was about about his drinking and increasingly erratic pitching.

You knew all you would ever learn about the 'character' by half wat through season one.

Frasier, in 'Frasier' was far deeper and broader.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    allie4 wrote: »
    I completely agree with every single word you've written here!
    Nothing quite touches it for comic brilliance! And DHP.... what a genius!

Ditto.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    What i dont get is Fraser is heavily editted on C4 yet Two and Half Men gets to talk about anything it wants at 3.00 in the afternoon.
  • LillithLillith Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was the episode of Cheers with Frasier's mother in it? I have to know. In one episode of Frasier Sam comes to Seattle and doesn't know that Frasier had a brother and thought his father was a dead research scientist.

I had to stop watching so much Frasier because I was starting to have dreams about it and even though I enjoyed them I did think it was a bit odd.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Series 3, episode 8

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0539729/

And I'd totally forgotten who played her!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best US sitcom I've seen. Watched every episode many times. My all time favourite was "Three Valentines" where Niles was pressing his trousers and sets fire to the settee. Hilarious.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bump! Bump! Bump!
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Lovely bit yesterday when Niles was 'flapping' his shirt in front of a cooler fan, and revealed a lovely flat stomach! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    teabag444 wrote: »
    Best US sitcom I've seen. Watched every episode many times. My all time favourite was "Three Valentines" where Niles was pressing his trousers and sets fire to the settee. Hilarious.

I've never really got on with that scene. I appreciate the skill involved, but I can never buy the idea that Niles feints at the sight of a mere pin-prick of blood.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    I've never really got on with that scene. I appreciate the skill involved, but I can never buy the idea that Niles feints at the sight of a mere pin-prick of blood.

Niles is a complicated little fellow :D

Favourite Niles situations, the Christmas episode when Freddie's science gifts get mixed up with a girls gifts from Maine

'The Cranes from Maine have your living brain'

And Mixed Doubles where Daphne starts dating Rodney, a carbon copy of Niles for Martin to answer the phone to Duke and say

'Sorry Duke can't talk, I'm in the Twilight Zone'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Frasier but I never got to see the final ep till this week. I was convinced he would end up with Ros, but the way the last ep was written was very classy:)