Options

What radio stations gave you the bug for radio?

124»

Comments

• Options
    Test ToneTest Tone Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    For me it would be Caroline and Laser 558 in the mid-80s plus the likes of Southern and Invicta around the same time. Early and mid 90s was a good time to be listening to Power too. All stations that fired my love of radio!
  • Options
    rickberickbe Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caroline (in the late 70s) for me, they sounded sincere and out there on the boat for the cause and for the music, the vibe and the stance against the establishment.

Capital Radio, because it had Kenny Everett.

And LBC if I wanted speech, because it sounded more egalitarian and less stuffy than Radio 4.

My parents insisted on having Radio 2 on in the mornings, seemed to be all that existed "on the wireless" for them.

And we did actually have a "wireless" - a big old wooden "radiogram" which my dad had fitted into the unused and bricked up in seventies fashion fireplace, out of it would come the voice of Terry Wogan playing film hits and MOR stuff. When it got to the racing news spot, it was time for me to leave for school (mercifully).

Nearly put me off radio that did, as did Radio 1, which I hardly ever went near.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Definitely Beat 106 followed by Atlantic 252 around 1999/2000 :)
  • Options
    fatmancunianfatmancunian Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    Piccadilly Radio all day every day growing up.
    Loved Pete Mitchell, Spence MacDonald, Timmy on the Tranny, Tim Grundy, Steve Penk but the best for me, and the reason radio is crammed into my head is Paul Carrington!
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a kid my favourite radio show was John Sachs on Capital Radio.

This was the time where he started his show with two new records and then had the Hitline. Although the records were mainstream the idea of having a daily chart was mesmorising to me. I was a chart geek when I was young so I have to say the Top 40 countdown on Radio One on Sunday afternoons were high on my listening pleasure.

The third and final area of radio was the football. First half was LBC's Sportswatch, second half was Radio Two with the live commentary (only got the second half then) with exotic joining of the World Service.

Three different shows which made radio essential to me.
  • Options
    Hybrid telliesHybrid tellies Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a boy living in West Cornwall reception of Radio 1 on 247m was hopeless. So during the evenings it was Luxembourg on 208m and the rest of the day it was Radio 2 on 1500m. Ray Moore was my favourite Presenter. In 1973 I bought a second hand valved radio which gave good reception of R1 on 247m plus many more stations on short wave including R Australia. About this time I was given my first radio with FM. As well as R's 2,3 and 4 during certain weather conditions I use to receive clearly French and Irish FM stations from various vantage points around the village. To this day I am still a self confessed radio and tv geek.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Rose radio, especially Beswick
    Atlantic 252 with the C Wolf on brekkie
    Radio 1 in its Mayo on breakfast and Campbell and Harris on nights period
    Century NW in it's music, fun a nd footie phase with Tony Horne on breakfast and Jezza Kyle at night.
  • Options
    doug italdoug ital Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    It was Luxemberg 208

Under the covers, aged 9 or 10 in the early 70's..listening to 'powerplay' as it drifted in and out, something to do with signals crossing water, I was told once!

A truly great station, in it's day!!
  • Options
    scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio Luxembourg and BBC Radio 1.

:) Mark
  • Options
    scotorcascotorca Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    As I grew up in the sixties, my stations were Luxembourg, Radio Scotland, Caroline, London, RNI - the station for a young Europe! Fav jocks were - Jack McLaughlin, ugly Bob Spencer, ugly Ray Terret, tony Blackburn, Kenny Everett, Johhny Walker, Admiral Robbie Dale, DLT, Duncan Johnson, oh so many to remember!
  • Options
    richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,894
    Forum Member
    Got me it was Luxy from "'78-82, 194 Radio City, Piccadilly 261 and Radio Nova from '82. Q107/WRQX Washington in 1984.
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Caroline, Caroline and Caroline
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The early 70s for me, 1973 with the start of L.B.C. and Capital radio in London..Capital was great, even the jingles and adverts! LBC is still listen to from time to time as I can get it on the virgin tivo box.
    When I started work, it was LBC all the time, mornings with Douglas Cameron and Bob Holness, allt he travel and road news etc...and really up to the minute.
    Mum was radio2 non stop, and I have never listened to radio 1, not ever. I used to tune the radio into fm for Capital radio sunday afternoon chart show, 3 till 5. All other listening was on MW. I think that both LBC and Capital were on other frequencies for a little while when they started, but its 40 years ago now--I cant be sure!
  • Options
    MattFiltonMattFilton Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    Late 70s for me....

Firstly it was BBC Radio Bristol 194 - Saturday mornings with Old Pete and Big Eval followed by Adrian Jay. (well I was only 12)

Then Luxy

... then in the spring of 79 the return of Caroline on 319 really sparked the bug for me.

Following the sinking in 1980 I then discovered the 48 metre band pirates. The 6235 Network of Radio Zodiac, Radio Zenith, ABC and EMR; Radio Krypton, Atlanta Radio (Mark Stafford); and Freddy Archer's version of Caroline.
  • Options
    davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listen with Mother on the home service & the Archers which I hated at the time but now listen to voluntarily (although it's become pants), all of the lunchtime quizzes on radio4 in the '6s & '70s like my word & my music, 20 questions & the light programme/radio 2 comedy shows like the clitheroe kid & navy lark. Then when I got my own tranny in the late 60's falling asleep to Luxembourg every night.
  • Options
    Rich_McLeanRich_McLean Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was younger, listening to Pirate FM in the evenings listening to Ian Palmerer, anyone remember him
  • Options
    superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Showing my age now, started with Radio Luxembourg on 208 metres medium wave, 55 years ago, followed by Radio Caroline North until the labour government banned them. Then had a spell with Red Rose Radio, especially when Alan Beswick was on.

I had an Uncle who was into shortwave radio and used to listen to ships transmitting to each other. That probably started my interest. in radio.
  • Options
    SmartTIIamSmartTIIam Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Red Rose 999 and Viking FM.
  • Options
    Garry_McAuleyGarry_McAuley Posts: 440
    Forum Member
    calderjon wrote: »
    Mid to late 70s as a kid Capital Radio & LBC in London. Radio as it should be. I was hooked to both for different reasons.

If I was a kid these days, there's nothing out there with the same level of personality or appeal.

And the radio industry wonders why times are hard in terms of finances......
    Mark C wrote: »
    +1 You beat me to it

The likes of Global has wrecked stations like Capital, they are now shadows of their former selves :cry:
  • Options
    Rodney CollinsRodney Collins Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    earlb wrote: »
    DITTO

Well there's a surprise! Thing is we both started off listening to Luxembourg and then both ended up working there for years. IS there a better way?
  • Options
    J LeninJ Lenin Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scotorca wrote: »
    As I grew up in the sixties, my stations were Luxembourg, Radio Scotland, Caroline, London, RNI - the station for a young Europe! Fav jocks were - Jack McLaughlin, ugly Bob Spencer, ugly Ray Terret, tony Blackburn, Kenny Everett, Johhny Walker, Admiral Robbie Dale, DLT, Duncan Johnson, oh so many to remember!

For me it was Radio Scotland 242 - at its height - say mid to late 66 it was great to listen to - I was 12 years old and had never heard anything like this. Bob Spencer in the morning was really good for the time. You can imagine how annoyed I was when it moved for a short while form the east coast to the west coast - reception in Aberdeen became very poor. When the station came back to the east coast the writing was on the wall. The sparkle also was gone and it began to sound quite amateurish.

However it is because of this station that I became a life long lover of radio - although today I think I would probably choose The Light Programme if it still existed - oh how things change.

Once Radio 1 settled it became really good and I loved it in the 70s.

It took a long time for local radio to come to North East of Scotland - we do not have much of a choice and what we have is not that great. Thank goodness for Internet Radio.
    I often listen to the Dutch tribute stations like Veronica 192.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Radio Caroline on MW, followed by a visit to UBN (the United Biscuits Network) that completely confirmed that I am a 'radio man'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    For me it was Oxfordshire's Fox FM on 102.6/97.4 before and after (at least until about 2007/8) the GCap take-over., such a good station with great local content, local shows throughout the day, and the yearly Party In The Park (PITP) until they started charging for it.

Sadly there are very few stations like that to this day!
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio 1 at weekends( late 70-early 90s), Radio 2 on weekdays( early 80s), Metro when I was in the North East, the original CFM from 1995-99.
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Radio 1 (90s till around 2002)
    Invicta FM (90s)
    Essence (00s)
    Charge (00s)
    Renegade (00s)