LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 27)

Comments

• CayceCayce Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    Cristo - Film and Television.
    Nick Ferrari - Politics.
    Nick Abbot - Music.
    Ian Payne - Sport.

History, Geography, Science.......erm, no, it's all completely blank!

So you say, but I notice in one of your less frivolous moods how politically persuasive you are, like a 'party' contender in terms of invites. None of which will secure my vote..
  • BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    Most of the presenters get criticism, J O'B and J H-B in particular. I don't see their listeners walking off in a huff.

(Is there something about people with three 'names' that people don't like? Watch out Jay-Louise Knight ! ;-))

I can't think of a presenter that doesn't get criticism. The difference is that most of them don't have fans who "invest" as much as Steve's. That's a testament to him, regardless of whether the rest of us understand it.
  • clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    I can't think of a presenter that doesn't get criticism. The difference is that most of them don't have fans who "invest" as much as Steve's. That's a testament to him, regardless of whether the rest of us understand it.

How do fans invest in Steve?
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    He spoke like ' A politician' today' & was easily outwitted by callers....Listen to the relevant podcasts !

Why is this thread so snobbish ? What is wrong with local dialects?

You best get used to them :D

There's nothing snobbish about me, inverted or otherwise. I live a short bus ride away from where Bob Crow was brought up and I'm 100% Cockney myself.

I just happen to not like the accent, it can sound rough and uneducated, even if the person is not.

In fact my favourite regional accent comes from anywhere in or around the Midlands. I look forward to future callers from there.
  • Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daft O clock indeed . He is refreshingly politically incorrect considering the stifled times we seem to live in these days.

Do you think he's on at such a barmy early time so it doesn't get noticed too much all the bile he spouts about so many people?, I kinda do. Don't misunderstand I like listening to him for so long, after a while though I need to get away from it all because he's so full on. :D
  • LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    Cayce wrote: »
    So you say, but I notice in one of your less frivolous moods how politically persuasive you are, like a 'party' contender in terms of invites. None of which will secure my vote..

I've never been persuasive in my life.

You were probably listening to my regional service which goes out on another multiplex.
  • clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He spoke like ' A politician' today' & was easily outwitted by callers....Listen to the relevant podcasts !

Why is this thread so snobbish ? What is wrong with local dialects?

You best get used to them :D

Crawlie Cutie I completely agree with you. We should be more concerned about what people say rather than the accent they use to say it.
  • Crawley CutieCrawley Cutie Posts: 10,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's nothing snobbish about me, inverted or otherwise. I live a short bus ride away from where Bob Crow was brought up and I'm 100% Cockney myself.

I just happen to not like the accent, it can sound rough and uneducated, even if the person is not.

In fact my favourite regional accent comes from anywhere in or around the Midlands. I look forward to future callers from there.

Sorry, my comment was not meant to be personal to you, RM.

clitheroe1 wrote: »
    Crawlie Cutie I completely agree with you. We should be more concerned about what people say rather than the accent they use to say it.

We agree, clitheroe - at last :)

At least, on here, we have the written word ....we can't hear each other ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Allen - candles, hanging baskets, towels, socks and sprouts.
    Nick Abbot - Amsterdam.
    Clive Bull - The Post Office.

:D

You forgot, Steve Allen also loves talking about pants.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GORTONIAN wrote: »
    I've long since not let it bother me
    To paraphrase Steve I couldn't give a 4x
    It used to though
    I do know that many of Steve's listeners won't post here anymore as they got sick of being belittled all the time

Apart from Noreen, hoping she is reading this to pass on to him in the morning around 4.25 ;)
    Forum Member
    Novaman wrote: »
    You forgot, Steve Allen also loves talking about pants.
    He's the king of soft furnishing and fabrics!
  • NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Cristo - Film and Television.
    Nick Ferrari - Politics.
    Nick Abbot - Music.
    Ian Payne - Sport.

History, Geography, Science.......erm, no, it's all completely blank!

No.

Iain Dale - Politics. (He was one).

Nick Ferrari - News/Newpaper Publishing.

Andrew Castle - Tennis.
  • LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    Nosedive wrote: »
    No.

Iain Dale - Politics. (He was one).

Nick Ferrari - News/Newpaper Publishing.

Andrew Castle - Tennis.

Thank you.

We haven't had James O'Brien yet.

Can we risk him on General Knowledge?
    Forum Member
    Thank you.

We haven't had James O'Brien yet.

Can we risk him on General Knowledge?

Nope! You are at risk! J O'B has to install at least six adjectives in a sentence, when one or two suits the rest of us.

He's far too pretentious, (one adj: plse note) for the average listener to even contemplate.

Mystery Hour, is bearable but only just...
    Forum Member
    Steve Allen said that the start of his show, when it goes nationwide, will be very 'tight'. He then said he couldn't say why, we'd have to wait!

Wonder what he means?

He then said about his famous old 'leaning on a lamp post' photo and said he 'didn't go home alone very often' back then! :p
    Forum Member
    How do fans invest in Steve?

They put money in the Government's coffers, and take out of it some mirth.. Well-earned in my case, working all hours, so I afford it !
    Forum Member
    I'm glad to hear Steve say he isn't drinking so much Vodka nowadays, can't have been good for his diabetes.
    Forum Member
    Steve Allen said that the start of his show, when it goes nationwide, will be very 'tight'. He then said he couldn't say why, we'd have to wait!

Wonder what he means?

He then said about his famous old 'leaning on a lamp post' photo and said he 'didn't go home alone very often' back then! :p

I recall the 'leaning on a lamp post' pic, he was so good looking. Quite memorable.. might say something about me!
    Forum Member
    Well, here's one of Steve I've never seen before! - http://www.lbc.co.uk/mm/photos/2009/08/248/500x/3259.jpg :D
    Forum Member
    ^^^^ Goodness his hair colour is completely different, what happened I wonder to those dark brunette locks? :o:D
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, here's one of Steve I've never seen before! - http://www.lbc.co.uk/mm/photos/2009/08/248/500x/3259.jpg :D

He only looks in his late twenties but there's already the hint of a paunch. Wonder who the other bloke is.

I only hear the last forty minutes of his show but he does seem to be playing down the celeb bashing.

Morning all. :)
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Oo err! The cold creams have obviously worked! :o
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member

They look like a pair of whoopsies. Two queens. A couple of poofs.
    I bet they're both called Mary.
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does Steve keep saying '84850...' I know it must be the waveband or something. But he says it far too often.

Today he said it five times in the space of 4 minutes. :eek:
  • VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That really depends on the terms of his contract. LBC could have included a clause which allows them to terminate his contract subject to paying him only one month's salary. That is perfectly legal within employment law.

Indeed it is but can you truly see Steve with his years of service at LBC signing such a contract?
This discussion has been closed.