Uefa Super Cup...

f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
Forum Member
✭✭
... Not in HD i take it :( Anyone know why?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presume it's a European feed they're taking which is SD and not HD.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Presume it's a European feed they're taking which is SD and not HD.

Could be. Might explain why the picture is bad, even by ITV standards.

However, i thought all UEFA games had to be in HD now...?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    Its on Sky Sports 1 HD now in HD with 5.1 sound.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wouldnt be any better in HD or even if you were there, its a horrendous game.
  • richard_g_ukrichard_g_uk Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't like football however just for comparison (all being fed to the same CRT):-

Virgin V Box - Sky Sports 1 (SD)
    Virgin V Box - ITV 1
    Freeview PVR - ITV 1

Picture on the above are fine with hardly any difference between them. Sky Sports 1 picture looks slightly better (but nothing significant).

Humax Freesat PVR - ITV 1
    FTA Satellite Box - ITV 1

Picture on the above are alot worse than the Virgin and Freeview feeds.
  • White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a very poor SD stream on ITV 1.

I would say its likely to be the Monaco cameras but if Sky have it in HD then that leaves question marks unless they've taken out their own dedicated cameras exclusively for Sky viewers.
  • neil79neil79 Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am happy with SD :D It was a rubish match last night as far as I watched anyway :yawn:

My previous TV lasted nearly 20 years and my current box is around 6 years old and is not going any where while it still does the job.

So are all the HD fans going to dump their set's when Sly bring out 3D ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. It will probably be a massive failure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neil79 wrote: »
    I am happy with SD :D It was a rubish match last night as far as I watched anyway :yawn:

My previous TV lasted nearly 20 years and my current box is around 6 years old and is not going any where while it still does the job.

So are all the HD fans going to dump their set's when Sly bring out 3D ?

So obviously that's a good justification for poor quality broadcasting - if we all watch it on 20 year old tv's we'll never know the difference!!

On the Sky point, I can see take up being slow as I doubt there are many people out there who having spent £1,000 -2,000 on a brand new large screen plasm / lcd tv in the last year or two are going to dump it in favour of a £2,000 or £3,000 3D set especially as its unproven at the moment outside of cinemas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So obviously that's a good justification for poor quality broadcasting - if we all watch it on 20 year old tv's we'll never know the difference!!

On the Sky point, I can see take up being slow as I doubt there are many people out there who having spent £1,000 -2,000 on a brand new large screen plasm / lcd tv in the last year or two are going to dump it in favour of a £2,000 or £3,000 3D set especially as its unproven at the moment outside of cinemas.

My current TV is only around 6 years old and looks good enough for me and probably for most other people as well. HD is not mainstream yet so don't expect the majority to subsidize it.
    It's a bit like when colour TV started and was awful quality and expensive.

It's not like TV or HI FI is improving at anything like the pace of computers or mobile phones so my 6 year old TV could be around for quite a while yet as it does the job for me just like my very old HI FI more than does the job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neil79 wrote: »
    My current TV is only around 6 years old and looks good enough for me and probably for most other people as well. HD is not mainstream yet so don't expect the majority to subsidize it.

Actually at the last survey (early last year) so now a year out of date there were already 12 million HD tv's sold in the UK. Out of a household count of 26 million that's pretty mainstream at 50% or so.

So far as Freesat is concerned, 85% of all Freesat receivers sold are HD - source Joinfreesat who obtained and collated the official statistics for their web site from Ofcom.

So in actual fact as far as Freesat is concerned, its the HD majority who are subsidising the SD minority.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually at the last survey (early last year) so now a year out of date there were already 12 million HD tv's sold in the UK. Out of a household count of 26 million that's pretty mainstream at 50% or so.

So far as Freesat is concerned, 85% of all Freesat receivers sold are HD - source Joinfreesat who obtained and collated the official statistics for their web site from Ofcom.

So in actual fact as far as Freesat is concerned, its the HD majority who are subsidising the SD minority.

Well a report by OFCOM last November said that their is only 9 million subscribers to HDTV across seven countries in a survey that covered 7 countries including UK &USA.

Did I not hear that Sky only have 1 million subscribers to HD ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To me, that just means that there are an awful lot of HD ready homes out there.

For HD to be mainstream, it will need well over the 1.5million Sky, Freesat, Virgin HD viewers.... I would have thought that perhaps 1/4 of all viewers being HD viewers would make it mainstream.

Unfortunately I think HDTV has a year or two to go before it is considered mainstream in the UK and even longer here in Ireland.