Options

What radio stations gave you the bug for radio?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 551
Forum Member
✭✭
For me it was radio 1,Atlantic 252 and rock fm (when it first aired)

Comments

• Options
    jeffrey4670jeffrey4670 Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    From a young age, being on holiday in Bridlington in the early 70s listening to Radio North Sea International and a Knickerbocker glory ice cream. Oh those days will never come back!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Chiltern The Hot FM, Power FM, The Superstation, Luxembourg, Atlantic 252, KKBQ Houston (a friend brought a tape back. Yes, a tape. It was the 80s). WRKS Kiss FM New York (regular trips to Manhattan when on Camp America in New Jersey in, yes you guessed it, the 80s).
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Atlantic 252 at first. Then Chris Evans started at Radio 1 which also led me to discover Mark & Lard's 'graveyard shift' and the rest is history.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    Mine was Lincs FM... acheived at the age of 18!
  • Options
    BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a teenageer? Atlantic 252 and BRMB (this would have been circa 1990). Both sounded waaay cooler to me than Radio One!!!
  • Options
    Phil DoddPhil Dodd Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BMR wrote: »
    As a teenageer? Atlantic 252 and BRMB (this would have been circa 1990). Both sounded waaay cooler to me than Radio One!!!

If it was 1990s, they probably were !

In olden days we used to have real bugs in the radio ! The old valve sets in use until the mid 1960s used to get nice and warm, and had little lightbulbs behind the tuning dial. It was quite common for all sorts of things to live inside the sets and move around when they got warm. Spiders especially would put in appearance behind the tuning dial a short while after it lit up...

But at least the programmes were good in the 1950s - even the adults enjoyed them...
  • Options
    darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio Hallam,Luxemborg,and in the summer when we went away to the coast i loved caroline and later on laser 558 :)
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Atlantic 252, (Red Rose) Rock FM (started going down hill around the time Sally Stone joined), Red Rose Gold, and later Century 105.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with Sally stone she was shocking
  • Options
    spannersspanners Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    49m band Shortwave radio in the seventies: Radio Netherland's "Happy Station", BBC World Service, RTL on Sunday mornings, Radio Prague, Radio Moscow and several shortwave pirate stations.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Atlantic 252 & Beacon Radio
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,842
    Forum Member
    Laser 558 for me, that was so slick on air and I though "hell yeah, I wanna do that"
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Invicta.
  • Options
    BollardBollard Posts: 3,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2CR, Geoff Allen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 498
    Forum Member
    Atlantic 252 and Radio City 96.7 and also the Pepsi Chart use to love taping the new songs off that:)
  • Options
    steve wsteve w Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    Atlantic 252 and Galaxy when I was a teenager
  • Options
    Gary BrentonGary Brenton Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has to be 'Beacon Radio' (97.2 in the Midlands) and BRMB (94.8 in Birmingham) - BOTH now the same station (Free-Radio)

These were both completely different stations at the time and both very unique in their own way.
  • Options
    Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No mention of Caroline?
  • Options
    Rich_McLeanRich_McLean Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pirate FM back in the 90's. Many happy memories of Ian Palmear making a fool of himself
  • Options
    LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio Luxembourg, RNI and Caroline were the stations for me in the 1970's.
    I was a teenager in the late 1960's but our house was so regimented that my sister and I weren't allowed to listen to those stations that "play the Devil's music!" Hence I have such awful memories of "Sing Something Simple" like I have mentioned before!
  • Options
    wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has to be 'Beacon Radio' (97.2 in the Midlands)

I know i've alluded to this before, but even though my first gig as a "young 'un" was on a more high profile station, i was always envious of the way Beacon went about their business......how i wish i could have opened a station with "Sunrise" by Eric Carmen!!!
  • Options
    colinhanslipcolinhanslip Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    Ocean Sound for me
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Radio Luxembourg, Radio 1 (late 70s/early 80s) and recently stations like Radio Six International.
  • Options
    Seagull259Seagull259 Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really got into radio in 1971/72 so it was Luxembourg, Veronica & RNI followed by Caroline's return.
  • Options
    wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seagull259 wrote: »
    Really got into radio in 1971/72 so it was Luxembourg, Veronica & RNI followed by Caroline's return.

Obvious really, given your name on here!:D;)