iPhone 5 4.6 display

Comments

• PiazzaCharliePiazzaCharlie Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Ah yes, the reason for me its useless is:- to backup automatically it needs to be plugged into a power source which annoys me. Its also painfully slow and since its much much quicker just to let itunes do it, to me its pretty much useless.

Is that ok with you?

OK - so when you said it was useless, you actually meant that it didn't do something particular that you would find useful.

I'm not sure about backing up, but everything syncs without being plugged in to a power source.

I'd have thought if any change is updated in the cloud without being plugged in, then the cloud has the latest version.

Either way, I can update my contacts, calendar or notes on any device, and they get updated automatically on my other devices almost instantly.

Which is absolutely useful.
  • Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    My Galaxy Nexus has zero shutter lag. It takes photos pretty much instantly. And before you ask, it's a software feature not a hardware one...;)

Is it as quick as when you first got it?

Reason I ask is because my Xperia S slowed down dramatically after I'd put some apps on it. On the Xperia they claim you can go from locked to a captured shot in under 1.5 seconds. I just noticed that after I'd installed some work voip apps and some other market place stuff it did slow down quite a bit.

The one thing I miss about Android is being able to speak my destination to the Nav app.

Edit: Galaxy Nexus is actually a decent device..and the software updates come along on time!
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Steve™ wrote: »
    Edit: Galaxy Nexus is actually a decent device..and the software updates come along on time!

Easy now!!
    Forum Member
    What happened to this thread then? seems all out of whack!
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »

Its been "customised" iOS style :p
    Forum Member
    Its been "customised" iOS style :p

That would mean nothing has changed then ;) ....

but it clearly has have you had some of your religious views removed by the vatican.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Looks like it's been Mod-ified!:p
    Forum Member
    That would mean nothing has changed then ;) ....

but it clearly has have you had some of your religious views removed by the vatican.

Not so much about me, but anything connected to Stiggles, which meant my posts quoting him.

Looks like it's been Mod-ified!:p

lols lols

Its sure has:D
    Forum Member
    Not so much about me, but anything connected to Stiggles, which meant my posts quoting him.

I actually meant nothing would have changed if it had been customised ios style .. but not as funny if I have to explain :o

So stiggles could take no more of your mad apple rants could he and you finally pushed him over the edge.
    Forum Member
    I actually meant nothing would have changed if it had been customised ios style .. but not as funny if I have to explain :o

So stiggles could take no more of your mad apple rants could he and you finally pushed him over the edge.

I know what you meant!

People control their own reactions. My opinion on Apple doesnt involve abusing other members, his did.

I have a genuine belief that iOS is the better OS, I'm not trying to wind anyone up. I think its smoother and more polished. Thats just my perception based on using quite a few different mobile operating systems, including about 15 different Android handsets, a few of which are premium models.
    Forum Member
    I have a genuine belief that iOS is the better OS, I'm not trying to wind anyone up. I think its smoother and more polished. Thats just my perception based on using quite a few different mobile operating systems, including about 15 different Android handsets, a few of which are premium models.

There is nothing wrong with having a belief either that is totally flawed and without any credible reasoning behind it, however I will support you right to have such a misguided view.

The upside of the blind devotion to apple for me is that all other phones have to continually improve to tempt people away and be more competively priced. So really I should be thanking iphone users for allowing me to have a superior product for about a two thirds or less of the price you pay :D
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it as quick as when you first got it?

Nope no change still instant, and I've installed 60+ apps on it...it's impressively fast, and the recent Android 4.0.4 update just made it even faster...I'm so pleased with it...:)

Yeah I won't touch any other Android devices except Nexus devices....my very first Android phone was a Nexus One, and I briefly had a Galaxy S2 but switched back to my N1 and now I've got the Galaxy Nexus...I find it comforting that I'm in line for Jelly Bean and Key Lime Pie updates at the least...plus I prefer the look of stock Android which doesn't have the sometimes disgusting UI customisations..
    Forum Member
    There is nothing wrong with having a belief either that is totally flawed and without any credible reasoning behind it, however I will support you right to have such a misguided view.

The upside of the blind devotion to apple for me is that all other phones have to continually improve to tempt people away and be more competively priced. So really I should be thanking iphone users for allowing me to have a superior product for about a two thirds or less of the price you pay :D

I've already explained the credible reasoning countless times, but you dont seem to want to listen.

The problem is you are confusing opinion and fact. I would encourage you to list the reasons you think Android is better and exactly what you get that iOS doesnt.

Money isnt a problem for me and what I believe I get is a faster, more stable OS with a little more class and a quality interface than the Android phones.

This idea of yours that what you have got is better because it can do more, doesnt ad up for me. The extras have to have meaning and purpose and for me being able to add a large clock on a home screen or widgets, doesnt, I dont think, have meaning for people once they get past the initial novelty and into day to day normal usage.

The above as I have said many times in this thread is some of the reasons that I prefer iOS.

Now there may be a target audience for Android phones that are not the same target audience of the iPhone, there may also be some people who switch from iOS to Android and Vice Versa, and Android may sell more because of price point, but I do not believe that Android will sell more because its better, thats just a yarn spun by the anti-Apple brigade.
    Forum Member
    Nope no change still instant, and I've installed 60+ apps on it...it's impressively fast, and the recent Android 4.0.4 update just made it even faster...I'm so pleased with it...:)

Yeah I won't touch any other Android devices except Nexus devices....my very first Android phone was a Nexus One, and I briefly had a Galaxy S2 but switched back to my N1 and now I've got the Galaxy Nexus...I find it comforting that I'm in line for Jelly Bean and Key Lime Pie updates at the least...plus I prefer the look of stock Android which doesn't have the sometimes disgusting UI customisations..

Did you buy yours sim free?

Think I might have one next week...so will see how it performs against the other Android devices.

Yeah definitely the clean roms are nicer and faster and I think having an SGS2 and knowing that someone is getting the latest months before would be too much for me...also I think I prefer the form factor of the N2 to the SGS2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you buy yours sim free?

Think I might have one next week...so will see how it performs against the other Android devices.

Yeah definitely the clean roms are nicer and faster and I think having an SGS2 and knowing that someone is getting the latest months before would be too much for me...also I think I prefer the form factor of the N2 to the SGS2.

Yep I got it from expansys....I truly believe that the Nexus is how all Android devices should be done....the stock interface means that updates can come quickly, and the device itself feels more premium than a standard Samsung device...

It is a large device though, but I've become used to it now, and other phones (especially the iPhone) feel like childs playthings in comparison...ICS is very smooth and impressive too :)
    Forum Member
    I've already explained the credible reasoning countless times, but you dont seem to want to listen.

The problem is you are confusing opinion and fact. I would encourage you to list the reasons you think Android is better and exactly what you get that iOS doesnt.

Money isnt a problem for me and what I believe I get is a faster, more stable OS with a little more class and a quality interface than the Android phones.

This idea of yours that what you have got is better because it can do more, doesnt ad up for me. The extras have to have meaning and purpose and for me being able to add a large clock on a home screen or widgets, doesnt, I dont think, have meaning for people once they get past the initial novelty and into day to day normal usage.

The above as I have said many times in this thread is some of the reasons that I prefer iOS.

Now there may be a target audience for Android phones that are not the same target audience of the iPhone, there may also be some people who switch from iOS to Android and Vice Versa, and Android may sell more because of price point, but I do not believe that Android will sell more because its better, thats just a yarn spun by the anti-Apple brigade.

As I said there is nothing wrong with you preferring a simplistic and basic interface for your phone nothing at all.

Further as I have previously said several times most apple users claim they either 'don't want or will never need' the more advanced features that android offers which again is strange (probably untrue more likely) but again some people prefer a more mundane existence which is fine.

This along with an apple logo is the reason at present that the 4s sells so well. However things are changing the iPhone hasn't been rated by critics as the best phone for a while and I would assume when the majority of the apple masses awake from their slumber the sales will drain away, the s2 has changed the landscape somewhat.

Having said that I hope android does not have a dominant handset as I would hate to have it dumbed down the way the iPhone is.
    Forum Member
    Yep I got it from expansys....I truly believe that the Nexus is how all Android devices should be done....the stock interface means that updates can come quickly, and the device itself feels more premium than a standard Samsung device...

It is a large device though, but I've become used to it now, and other phones (especially the iPhone) feel like childs playthings in comparison...ICS is very smooth and impressive too :)

lol "especially the iPhone" ...and I thought you were going to play nicely:eek:

I'm not getting into the whole iPhone size / os thing again, except to say for the sort of user I am day to day, I prefer the smaller form factor devices, but I do get why some people would want a bigger screen.

Be interesting to see how stable ICS is...

Huawei Honor U8860 has even got ICS ahead of SGS2 handsets (beta in December...official back in early March)....dont get why Samsung do it in drips
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol "especially the iPhone" ...and I thought you were going to play nicely:eek:

I'm not getting into the whole iPhone size / os thing again, except to say for the sort of user I am day to day, I prefer the smaller form factor devices, but I do get why some people would want a bigger screen.

Be interesting to see how stable ICS is...

Huawei Honor U8860 has even got ICS ahead of SGS2 handsets (beta in December...official back in early March)....dont get why Samsung do it in drips

I was just making an observation, nothing more nothing less...compared to my Galaxy Nexus it's tiny...

http://androidheadlines.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/galaxy-nexus-iphone-e1319158738323.jpg

ICS is pretty stable...I've only had 1 app crash since getting it a couple of months ago so it seems fine to me..
    Forum Member
    As I said there is nothing wrong with you preferring a simplistic and basic interface for your phone nothing at all.

Further as I have previously said several times most apple users claim they either 'don't want or will never need' the more advanced features that android offers which again is strange (probably untrue more likely) but again some people prefer a more mundane existence which is fine.

This along with an apple logo is the reason at present that the 4s sells so well. However things are changing the iPhone hasn't been rated by critics as the best phone for a while and I would assume when the majority of the apple masses awake from their slumber the sales will drain away, the s2 has changed the landscape somewhat.

Having said that I hope android does not have a dominant handset as I would hate to have it dumbed down the way the iPhone is.

Its App driven and used by people who like that interface and fussing with homescreen customisations isnt for everyone, despite what you say!

Why is it hard for you to believe that some people dont need those features.

And what "advanced features" are you referring to? Surely not the large clock on the home screen?! lol Lets have that list...

For most people their existence isnt judged by a phone in their pocket, but I suppose that you view it that way suggests Android are hitting their target market.

Its nothing to do with the Apple logo, its to do with quality feel, quality build and a very silky smooth UI, plus iTunes does intergrate very well with the iPhone.
    Forum Member
    Its App driven and used by people who like that interface and fussing with homescreen customisations isnt for everyone, despite what you say!

Why is it hard for you to believe that some people dont need those features.

And what "advanced features" are you referring to? Surely not the large clock on the home screen?! lol Lets have that list...

For most people their existence isnt judged by a phone in their pocket, but I suppose that you view it that way suggests Android are hitting their target market.

Its nothing to do with the Apple logo, its to do with quality feel, quality build and a very silky smooth UI, plus iTunes does intergrate very well with the iPhone.

App driven?

Off the top of my head just for a start ...
    voice guided GPS for free

Ability to set default app of choice

Widgets providing up to date information

fully functioning Bluetooth

support for all media formats

4g

open source os allowing numerous variations should they be desired which do not render your device illegal in the manufacturers eye.

Fully functioning hardware e.g. complete photo/camera options

live wallpapers with additional functions that can even be intergrated into weather forecast etc

flash support

proper multi tasking

removable battery if wanted

sd card support if wanted

no rip off price

no need to use iTunes

support for multiple hardware variations HD screens, physical keyboard etc

Just a quick list probably forgot the major ones.
    Forum Member
    App driven?

Off the top of my head just for a start ...
    voice guided GPS for free

Ability to set default app of choice

Widgets providing up to date information

fully functioning Bluetooth

support for all media formats

4g

open source os allowing numerous variations should they be desired which do not render your device illegal in the manufacturers eye.

Fully functioning hardware e.g. complete photo/camera options

live wallpapers with additional functions that can even be intergrated into weather forecast etc

flash support

proper multi tasking

removable battery if wanted

sd card support if wanted

no rip off price

no need to use iTunes

support for multiple hardware variations HD screens, physical keyboard etc

Just a quick list probably forgot the major ones.

Voice guided GPS £1.59

Default App of choice...not even sure why I would need that or what it is lol

Ahh the widgets..yeah up to date facebook and twitter...I can live without that haha

Fully functioning Bluetooth??? In what way isnt it fully functioning?

Again, support for all media formats not needed. iTunes takes care of all that. Keeps things tidier too.

Yeah, because 4G in the UK is everywhere right?!!

Open source is meaningless. Even with Android open source means, in terms of manufacturer, dont root, dont install a custom rom etc etc

Again, in what way will the iPhone camera not allow me to take a picture or shoot a video??!!

Live wallpapers...yes because thats really gonna make me more productive. Thats not a useful feature!

Flash support I will concede is missing and is useful, but there are ways around it..and html5 so if its that important to someone then http://www.flash-to-html5.net/

Multitasking? I can drive in my car, receive voice guided directions to a destination and exit the nav prog, read and email and continue to receive voice guided directions*. Thats useful multitasking as far as I'm concerned.

I can remove the battery in about 30 seconds. Screwdriver, remove two screws by 30pin connector, slide back cover up, unplug battery, pull battery out. Replace. Done.:D

SD card support would be nice, but I've got 32gb and not close to filling it yet, and in any case not all Android phones have support for microsd

No rip off price and no need to use iTunes is a bit much. Thats not really a something missing from iOS that Android has, its just a dig at Apple:rolleyes: And in any case iTunes does make syncing and back up much easier. Some of the manufacturer software I've installed from Samsung, Nokia, Sony etc has been dire and so ugly to look at.
    Forum Member
    Voice guided GPS £1.59.
    - mines free

Default App of choice...not even sure why I would need that or what it is lol
    - really if I prefer an app for a function such as browsing, music, video etc I can make it the default app meaning it replaces default app for all those functions.

Ahh the widgets..yeah up to date facebook and twitter...I can live without that haha
    - sure you can but you still can't do it can you not even the option.

Fully functioning Bluetooth??? In what way isnt it fully functioning?
    - you font know how how Bluetooth is hobbled on an iPhone dear me!!!

Again, support for all media formats not needed. iTunes takes care of all that. Keeps things tidier too.
    - how does iTunes provide support for all music and video formats please explain?

Yeah, because 4G in the UK is everywhere right?!!
    - will be very soon and what about when not in the uk?

Open source is meaningless. Even with Android open source means, in terms of manufacturer, dont root, dont install a custom rom etc etc
    - manufacturers of android provide active support to the development community actually unlike apple who would have them shot and seek to find ways to reverse jailbreak.

Again, in what way will the iPhone camera not allow me to take a picture or shoot a video??!!
    - iPhone cameras will not allow you to adjust a picture setting to suit you photos are how they think it should look or nothing not with android full control over these features for varying light conditions etc.

Live wallpapers...yes because thats really gonna make me more productive. Thats not a useful feature!
    - they can do yes but generally they look nice and provide a pleasent experience.to many. Again no.option for you with iPhone.

Flash support I will concede is missing and is useful, but there are ways around it..and html5 so if its that important to someone then http://www.flash-to-html5.net/
    - still don't have it regardless where as I have both.

Multitasking? I can drive in my car, receive voice guided directions to a destination and exit the nav prog, read and email and continue to receive voice guided directions*. Thats useful multitasking as far as I'm concerned.
    - that's simply opening a couple of apps not multi tasking in the true sense meaning there is no need for me to wait or pause things when I want to complete intensive tasks .

I can remove the battery in about 30 seconds. Screwdriver, remove two screws by 30pin connector, slide back cover up, unplug battery, pull battery out. Replace. Done.:D
    - I assume that was a joke response yes? you talk about iPhone simplicity then say take a screwdriver to your phone and void warranty!!!

SD card support would be nice, but I've got 32gb and not close to filling it yet, and in any case not all Android phones have support for microsd
    - I would need more than that and I have the option if I want it you don't. Mind you iPhone not much good for media really is it.

No rip off price and no need to use iTunes is a bit much. Thats not really a something missing from iOS that Android has, its just a dig at Apple:rolleyes: And in any case iTunes does make syncing and back up much easier. Some of the manufacturer software I've installed from Samsung, Nokia, Sony etc has been dire and so ugly to look at.[/QUOTE]
    - the ne!ed to use iTunes is a failing of ios something which android doesn't require. The continual need to go through set proceedires just to put something on your phone a restriction android does not have and not requirement to install any software on a pc/Mac.

I make that android 14 - ios 0
    Forum Member

I make that android 14 - ios 0

14 pointless functions, including,but not limited to:

assigning a default app - never heard anything so silly, just open a different app

Widgets, I just open an app in the time it takes you to swipe through home screens.

No I dont know how bluetooth is "hobbled" because so far it works with my car kit and my bluetooth earphones for music - what else possibly is so important as to label iPhone bluetooth as hobbled ?!

I wouldnt need to replace the battery myself if it was under warranty and anyway batteries dont fail within the warranty period, so if I opted to replace it I wouldnt be voiding anything.

Nothing you said makes me think I must ditch the iPhone in favour of Android, all those things you mention are just things that might be useful but not key functions most people need.

iPhone Wins:D
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve , it is funny to here you say that you are happy with the smaller form factor of an iPhone. The fact is the 4/4S is a pretty large device with a small screen because of the large top and bottom bezel. I really liked the look of the original iPhone design but this current one is an ugly brick and way to heavy. Web browsing on the mall screen is a horrible experience and as for iOS being polished I always find it quite hard to adapt to . Still I look forward to playing with siri on my brother in laws phone this weekend as last time we had a great laugh at how crap it was. He loves his 4S by the way but there is no accounting for taste.
    Forum Member
    14 pointless functions, including,but not limited to:

You say 14 but offer no further argument on most of them so we will assume you fully concede those points.
    assigning a default app - never heard anything so silly, just open a different app

Really so what happens if you directly click on a music track, or video etc your default app opens and you have no other choice but to use it. Likewise when you click on a web link eg default browser again. This shows your lack of any real knowledge here. So again android better
    Widgets, I just open an app in the time it takes you to swipe through home screens.

Swipe through home screens? again you seem a little confused here! a widget is on my home screen constantly displaying relevant information for immediate access by me. Android better
    No I dont know how bluetooth is "hobbled" because so far it works with my car kit and my bluetooth earphones for music - what else possibly is so important as to label iPhone bluetooth as hobbled ?!

Try connecting to another phone to share a pic, mp3, video, file can you? again victory android
    I wouldnt need to replace the battery myself if it was under warranty and anyway batteries dont fail within the warranty period, so if I opted to replace it I wouldnt be voiding anything.

What if you are out for long periods and wish to carry extra battery for when you will be using your phone constantly and have no means of charging? android wins
    Nothing you said makes me think I must ditch the iPhone in favour of Android, all those things you mention are just things that might be useful but not key functions most people need.

Well we have a concession that they may be useful which is a start better than the usual "don't want .. will never need"

I have however shown you conclusive proof above that android reigns supreme .. thank you :D