Everyone is buying petrol today. Will prices just keep going up forever?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
Forum Member
The queues are crazy, I think people must be panic buying since its been on the news. The prices are going up again!! This is just disgusting now.

Do you think prices will just keep rising and rising? Will they drop right low at some point or are we just going to be paying £2 a litre one day??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12098981
Looming petrol duty and VAT rises are to push record petrol prices higher.

On New Years Day, a government fuel duty increase will put another 0.76p on to both petrol and diesel. And on 4 January, the rise in VAT from 17.5% to 20% will mean another price rise.

The AA estimates that the two increases will add around 3.5p to the cost of a litre of both petrol and diesel.

The average price of unleaded petrol in the UK stands at 124.16p, according to Experian Catalist.
This time last year petrol was at 107.74p a litre and diesel at 109.46p.

"Given that each penny increase in fuel duty raises about an extra £500 million for the Exchequer, it is easy to see why the chancellor is tempted to hike rates," said the foundation's director, Professor Stephen Glaister.

"But if the nation's 34 million motorists are pushed too far they will drive less and the Treasury could actually see their tax take fall. At the election there was much talk about a fuel duty stabiliser. Drivers will rightly be wondering what happened to that idea."

Comments

• SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate to break it to you but one day people be paying £10 a litre and so on with all parties believing in Climate tax things will only get worse. :)
  • CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We moan, we grumble, but at the end of the day, we'll pay for it no matter what.

The Government knows this; that's why they do it :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    Sentenza wrote: »
    I hate to break it to you but one day people be paying £10 a litre and so on with all parties believing in Climate tax things will only get worse. :)

No :eek: £10 a litre?? I could never afford that. Surely the country would just go into meltdown if that happened?
    CXC3000 wrote: »
    We moan, we grumble, but at the end of the day, we'll pay for it no matter what.

The Government knows this; that's why they do it :(
    What we need is those lorry drivers to do what they did some years back. Perhaps block the motorways or something.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember when the refinery workers were mass-striking at 99p prices on Petrol. Saying its not economically viable for the UK to sustain prices at those levels for the privatised companies. Given the level of competition between each.

Now its up to the level that it is, and us typical Brits just sit around and "take it", expecting the problem to be dealt by someone else. Panic buying wont reduce the price, Mass Industrial action (again) just might.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Confusing wrote: »
    What we need is those lorry drivers to do what they did some years back. Perhaps block the motorways or something.

I heard a new law was brought in to stop similar actions (re. what happened in 2000).
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been buying petrol/diesel since about 1983. I can't recall a single occasion when the price went down and stayed down in all those years.

I once thought it would be ages before I spent 50 quid on a tank of fuel. Just a few weeks ago I put in 60 quids worth for the first time. Would not be in the least bit surprised if I pass the £70 mark sometime next year!

And before anyone thinks I drive some massive 4x4 gas guzzler I drive a VW Golf diesel.
  • FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet most that moan about prices still do not get it from the cheapest fuel station in their area on principal.

They were queuing at a fuel station this morning paying 6p/litre more than one half a mile down the road. That's why prices will never come down because idiots are funding the expensive fuel stations. Stupid is what stupid does.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Confusing wrote: »
    No :eek: £10 a litre?? I could never afford that. Surely the country would just go into meltdown if that happened?

Well maybe we'll all be in electric cars by then , but once that happens watch the price of electricity go up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well maybe we'll all be in electric cars by then , but once that happens watch the price of electricity go up.

Lol ! - very true :D

:(
  • Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes prices will go up until there is no petrol left.

Rather than seeking alternatives to fossil fuel as quickly as possible the energy companies will rinse everybody for as much as they possibly can before they invest properly in alternatives.

By then of course we will have done irepairable dammage to the planets climate and muge amounts of destruction that I personally think we will not endure.

But who cares as long as we have all the consumer goods we want and never have to worry about wasting all the earths resources. As long as big business and the megga wealthy are ok and they can trickle down all their benefits to us plebs to keep us happy and anesthetised.
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Some of us pay it, because we can't do without our cars.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From my understanding you pay fuel duty and then get taxed on that through VAT, so you are being taxed on tax!

The treasury are having our backs out with it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard a new law was brought in to stop similar actions (re. what happened in 2000).

Short of Marshall Law, they can't stop a Union from picketing a Industrialised Protest if the workers are balloted in favor of it by the majority. As what happened in Spain with the ATC workers, the Spanish Government came a step short of implimenting Marshall Law.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From my understanding you pay fuel duty and then get taxed on that through VAT, so you are being taxed on tax!

The treasury are having our backs out with it.

The joys of living in a nation where the Government has our best interests at heart :(
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How much petrol are people wasting queuing up for petrol. No wonder the price is going up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm always able to go to the cheapest station, and when it's quiet.

I keep 10 Litres in the boot. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a bit sad really. They can fill up now when it is cheap but they save the increase on one tank of fuel. They will have to carry on filling up once there has been an increase, so for the sake of 3 quid I would not want the hassle of queuing for ages to fill up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    I'm always able to go to the cheapest station, and when it's quiet.

I keep 10 Litres in the boot. ;)

But then you are not getting the right miles per gallon because of that extra weight.
  • hypervisorhypervisor Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fuel protests wont be far off, this latest rise is killing independent companies, this time the blockades will be alot worse....i for one will be with them.

However people moan about how much the prices are rising but when the time comes wont do a damm thing about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a bit sad really. They can fill up now when it is cheap but they save the increase on one tank of fuel. They will have to carry on filling up once there has been an increase, so for the sake of 3 quid I would not want the hassle of queuing for ages to fill up.

Idiots, really.

As I mentioned in another section, the only way to make a substantial saving, would be to buy a smaller car with a smaller engine.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hypervisor wrote: »
    fuel protests wont be far off, this latest rise is killing independent companies, this time the blockades will be alot worse....i for one will be with them.

However people moan about how much the prices are rising but when the time comes wont do a damm thing about it.

Ill be with you too. same with heating oil. Everyone says to me go onto gas. fine I will if it was in my village I have two choices OIl or Coal.

I would certianly protest at these costs of fuel these days

Trouble is we will then be seen like last time as deniying the sick treatment. As ambulances again wouldnt have any fuel (I know that last time the prostesters let them have fuel but the Media wont be interested in that). Especially with all this Flu about.

FUEL PROSTESTERS KILLED MY 5 YEAR OLD type of headlines will be seen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But then you are not getting the right miles per gallon because of that extra weight.

I don't think the extra 7Kg will make a huge difference. :p
  • Blackadder VBlackadder V Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are trucking companies getting a sweetener from the government so they don't strike or something along those lines? because I remember the 99p protests well but now it is much much more than that and British drivers don't seem to be bothered.
  • hypervisorhypervisor Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    theres a reason why the government is pushing electric cars instead of solar cars...because they cant tax the sun.

The goverment have the technology for solar panel assisted cars but would lose hundreds of millions per year.
  • richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a reminder that US petrol has been stabilised around the $3.13 per US Gal. for 3-4 years now.

That's 53p per litre or £2.40 per Imp Gal.

Americans just wouldn't put up with a administration that puts up Gas prices to raise revenue.