Options

COM7 mux, Al Jazeera HD - LCN 108

Comments

• Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's possible Channel 5 HD will only go FTA when the DVB-T2 switch happens and there's no need for SD simulcasting.

By that point the other big broadcasters will have started dabbling in UHD of course.
  • Options
    paul_mpaul_m Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if 105 being reserved for BBC Three HD for no sound or logical reason was a factor in the decision to do this new deal with Sky. It wouldn't be viable to offer it on LCN110 or whatever ridiculous slot they'd end up with. And obviously they don't get the endless cash handouts from licence fee payers that the BBC currently have at their disposal to fund such a service.

So yeah, in summary, C5 HD on Freeview is not happening now. That much is obvious. Maybe many years down the road that will change, but in the short to medium term it's absolutely dead. I'm sure the many on here that are apparently rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of Snog, Marry, Avoid and Al Jazeera in HD will rejoice. But for fans of content like top movies. the best international drama and good documentaries, this is certainly a big blow. But not an unexpected one after they were effectively bullied out.

Makes more sense to take the Sky dollar than support a still underdeveloped platform that couldn't be less accommodating if it tried.

Sky & Virgn 1 Freeview 0.
    Trust you to come out trying (and failing) to fight C5's corner! There was perfectly good sound and logical reasoning for BBC3 getting 105 - first come, first served. Which is why Al Jazeera will be ahead of C4's extra HD channels. 'Freeview' was very accommodating - C5 had plenty of chances to launch C5 HD and for whatever reason they cocked it up every time. They were certainly not bullied out! LCN110 isn't ridiculous anyway, it's only 5 places further down.

Don't get me wrong, I would have preferred to see C5 HD over BBC3 and Al Jazeera. But this is all entirely C5's fault, and if they don't sort it out soon, they will be left behind and losing viewers when all the other main FTA channels are in HD apart from them.
  • Options
    Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    DragonQ wrote: »
    It's possible Channel 5 HD will only go FTA when the DVB-T2 switch happens and there's no need for SD simulcasting.

By that point the other big broadcasters will have started dabbling in UHD of course.

Channel 5 - A whole new meaning to the words "catch up TV".
  • Options
    Toxteth O'GradyToxteth O'Grady Posts: 8,497
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    But for fans of content like top movies. the best international drama and good documentaries, this is certainly a big blow.
    Let me fix that for you....
    But for fans of content like 1980's family movies, endless CSI and repeats of stuff that was on National Geographic, this is certainly a big blow
  • Options
    BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    National Geographic is not on Freeview and family movies are becoming a rarity these days, ok if you like endless violence & foul language I suppose.
  • Options
    StasisLeakStasisLeak Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    After making a few enquiries I have discovered both the BBC and Vestel are aware of a problem concerning COM7 and some Vestel boxes losing HD channels when running a full scan within the Crystal Palace area, so hopefully this will be resolved soon.

Currently scanning channel 33 (Com7) results in the loss of HD channels on my Akura (Vestel clone) HD STB.

I have managed to get the HD channels back by deleting just the HD channels found after running a full scan and then manually scanning just channel 30.

FYI the Vestel firmware on my STB is 2.44(UK)
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kurgan2 wrote: »
    After making a few enquiries I have discovered both the BBC and Vestel are aware of a problem concerning COM7 and some Vestel boxes losing HD channels when running a full scan within the Crystal Palace area, so hopefully this will be resolved soon.

Currently scanning channel 33 (Com7) results in the loss of HD channels on my Akura (Vestel clone) HD STB.

I have managed to get the HD channels back by deleting just the HD channels found after running a full scan and then manually scanning just channel 30.

FYI the Vestel firmware on my STB is 2.44(UK)

Ah so this is a box incompatibility issue from one box manufacture, I suppose it could be solved with a firmware update?
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Ah so this is a box incompatibility issue from one box manufacture, I suppose it could be solved with a firmware update?

As I said 'up thread' a couple of weeks ago, CP Mux 7 may not be radiating a fully compliant SI stream at present, so this may not be Vestel's 'fault'
  • Options
    richard_g_ukrichard_g_uk Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies if this has already been posted but

http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=SK113003

been updated to list the switch on dates as December 2013 for COM7 and COM8 from Sutton Coldfield. Also states the power - it looks significantly down when compared to the 6 main multiplexes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies if this has already been posted but

http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=SK113003

been updated to list the switch on dates as December 2013 for COM7 and COM8 from Sutton Coldfield. Also states the power - it looks significantly down when compared to the 6 main multiplexes.

I've not seen any public domain statement from Arqiva, the BBC, or Ofcom, if there hasn't been one, then Brian Butterworth is once again dressing up speculation as fact
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    I've not seen any public domain statement from Arqiva, the BBC, or Ofcom, if there hasn't been one, then Brian Butterworth is once again dressing up speculation as fact

I'd agree, and it was originally stated in one of the Arqiva documents that Sutton Coldfield would be on air in December, so the site has no new information.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    I'd agree, and it was originally stated in one of the Arqiva documents that Sutton Coldfield would be on air in December, so the site has no new information.

Indeed, and the ERPs are not news either, the ERPs of 6.4 and 8.3 kW were stated provisionally in Ofcom and Arqiva documents back in February, again I've not seen any official confirmation or updates of those ?
  • Options
    mrdtvmrdtv Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    26 November for CP and 10 December for Divis. Postcode checker gives the launch dates and the ERP's. The ERP's listed on the DUK postcode checker are higher than previously thought, 36.3 and 10.5kW respectively.
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just tried the address/postcode checker now that COM7 is on it and my COM7 reception from Crystal Palace shows as 99/100, despite the much lower power; in fact it shows as higher than COM4, COM5 and COM6 at full power, presumably due to possible interference on the latter.
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,421
    Forum Member
    mrdtv wrote: »
    26 November for CP and 10 December for Divis. Postcode checker gives the launch dates and the ERP's. The ERP's listed on the DUK postcode checker are higher than previously thought, 36.3 and 10.5kW respectively.

Hmm, that's only just gone live as I checked it yesterday. Sandy Heath 10th December! What is this crazy talk? It was one of the last ones on the original list, September next year or something!
  • Options
    GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winter Hill showing COM7 appearing as a 26th Nov retune event - and at 24kW rather than the 14kW previously suggested. Interesting!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sandy Heath showing as 10 Dec 2013, C32 43.7 KW (compared to PSB3 HD 180 KW)
    Emley Moor showing as 10 Dec 2013, C32 50.1 KW (compared to PSB3 HD 174 KW)

Both are considerably higher power than the previous figures, especially Sandy Heath where the previous figures were lower than the original pre DSO 10KW and had me very concerned whether I would get it. Given the lack of interference on C32 I expect these will give as good coverage as PSB3 HD.

Given Sandy Heath is one of only two sites getting a new antenna (if I recall correctly) it can actually be optimised for the COM7 and COM8 frequencies which may account for the large increase in power.

I note Sandy Heath mentions a reduction of reception sometime in 2014, presumably when another transmitter starts using C32 somewhere nearby-ish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OwenSmith wrote: »
    Sandy Heath showing as 10 Dec 2013, C32 43.7 KW (compared to PSB3 HD 180 KW)
    Emley Moor showing as 10 Dec 2013, C32 50.1 KW (compared to PSB3 HD 174 KW)

Both are considerably higher power than the previous figures, especially Sandy Heath where the previous figures were lower than the original pre DSO 10KW and had me very concerned whether I would get it. Given the lack of interference on C32 I expect these will give as good coverage as PSB3 HD.

Given Sandy Heath is one of only two sites getting a new antenna (if I recall correctly) it can actually be optimised for the COM7 and COM8 frequencies which may account for the large increase in power.

I note Sandy Heath mentions a reduction of reception sometime in 2014, presumably when another transmitter starts using C32 somewhere nearby-ish.

I wonder about the ERPs, it's unusual (in the UK) to quote ERPs over about 10kW with such accuracy, and I do wonder if someone has used out of date log tables :D to calculate the ERPs, but in the absence of any unified single source of information, it's the best we've got to date !!
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Checked the Rowridge situation and it seems to confirm that VP isn't getting the new muxes. Shame really as that's the only way to get all the current muxes on full power.

Once COM7 launches, Rowridge HP will just end up a hotpotch of strong, weak and even weaker signals, so it seems I will definitely be relying on satellite to get the new HD channels that will be on that mux.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    Indeed, and the ERPs are not news either, the ERPs of 6.4 and 8.3 kW were stated provisionally in Ofcom and Arqiva documents back in February, again I've not seen any official confirmation or updates of those ?

DUK postcode checker now confirms COM7 Sutton Coldfield as Dec 10th (a retune event), with a reception change in 2014.

Power is listed as 81.3kW (200kW for the other muxes), but my postcode gives much better reception figures than the existing COM muxes, dropping in 2014 to be slightly better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Digital UK's post code checker predicts I will get perfect coverage for COM7 and Local from Crystal Palace in Guildford. :)
  • Options
    tvmad-alantvmad-alan Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would like to know why digitaluk.co.uk has com7 data with local new mux to come and yet not COM 8 HD ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    COM 7 is being turned on first. There are currently no channels pending to be broadcast on COM 8 anyway so it's no loss.
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Digital UK's post code checker predicts I will get perfect coverage for COM7 and Local from Crystal Palace in Guildford. :)
    Local? That's not showing for me.