Sky remote - batteries?

LucylashesLucylashes Posts: 853
Forum Member
✭✭
The record button on my Sky remote has been a bit dodgy for a while but works after a bit of persuasion but now the fast forward and rewind buttons aren't working properly. Sometimes the red button doesn't come on (and obviously that's when it doesn't work) so I'm wondering if the batteries are on the way out? It seems funny that the red light comes on for certain functions but not others?

Comments

• AVTECHAVTECH Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, not your batteries !

The problem lies in the keypad, if you do not feel confident enough to open up the remote to strip it down and clean the contacts..... buy a new remote.
  • LucylashesLucylashes Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Confident enough to open up the remote? Eeek!! I am totally dense where stuff like this is concerned but I have just spotted a video on Youtube so I might give it a go. Thanks :-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As you will have seen from youtube it is a simple task to open the remote and clean the contacts.... it is just having the confidence to try:o

But what is the worst that can happen?
    You break it !!
    Well it isn't working properly now is it?
    Sky remotes are readily available... even supermarkets sell them:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WOW great price!

Good find, sodafountain, I've noted it for future use!!:D
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AVTECH wrote: »
    WOW great price!

Good find, sodafountain, I've noted it for future use!!:D

I couldn't believe the price when I found them either, that's why I bought 2 (and I paid £5.50 when I bought them in December), and they both worked flawlessly.

I did open my old remote once I got the new ones (it was select that was going, had to press really hard), but after cleaning etc, didn't make it much better, but at that price (and now having a spare), I didn't really care and confined it to the bin (kept the rubber keypad though, just in case).
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Lucylashes wrote: »
    Confident enough to open up the remote? Eeek!! I am totally dense where stuff like this is concerned but I have just spotted a video on Youtube so I might give it a go. Thanks :-)

If you have a smart phone you could use the Sky+ app....;-)

I can't remember the last time I used the original remote, well over as year ago.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,429
    Forum Member
    (kept the rubber keypad though, just in case).

Not a very good idea, as that was the part that was faulty! :D

The conductive rubber on the pads wears off - you can actually buy kits to 'repaint' them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a very good idea, as that was the part that was faulty! :D

The conductive rubber on the pads wears off - you can actually buy kits to 'repaint' them.

The rubber keypad was actually fine, it was the PCB that was faulty, it had got covered in something sticky, I tested the select button by moving the rubber keypad to a different button (not easy when you have to hold batteries in place with no case), and it worked fine, and tried other working buttons on the select button area, and it didn't work, so definitely the PCB that was faulty, not the rubber.
    Forum Member
    The rubber keypad was actually fine, it was the PCB that was faulty, it had got covered in something sticky, I tested the select button by moving the rubber keypad to a different button (not easy when you have to hold batteries in place with no case), and it worked fine, and tried other working buttons on the select button area, and it didn't work, so definitely the PCB that was faulty, not the rubber.

The 'something sticky' appears to come from the rubber pads (it's common across pretty well all remotes) - clean it off with WD40 or similar, then finish off with 'electronic safety solvent'. Safety solvent itself doesn't seem to be 'strong enough' to clear it.

I presumed for years that it was down to customers spilling something in the remote, but eventually came to the conclusion that it was the rubber pads themselves (as there's just too many like it for customers to spill the exact same 'whatever' in it :D
  • LucylashesLucylashes Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £5.75??? I'm having a new one! Thanks sodafountain :)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Is it a 'genuine' one meaning it has a bit of weight to it and a rubber lined back or is it a cheapo plastic knockoff?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Is it a 'genuine' one meaning it has a bit of weight to it and a rubber lined back or is it a cheapo plastic knockoff?

To me, it certainly feels the same as the original one (and i had just bought another one from elsewhere, that wasn't genuine, didn't work properly, and i could definately tell from the feel that one wasn't original).
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »

There have been a great many cheap Chinese copies - hopefully by now they are pretty good? (some of the early ones were really poor).
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    To me, it certainly feels the same as the original one (and i had just bought another one from elsewhere, that wasn't genuine, didn't work properly, and i could definately tell from the feel that one wasn't original).
    I have a cheapo one and it works fine (although I can't find a code for the Goodmans telly). As it's in the kitchen i'm not bothered about the feel of it but on the main box/telly I like the genuine remote as it just feels better in the hand.
  • ChocolateCheeseChocolateCheese Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder how much longer it will be before Sky start offering solar/light powered remote controls? :D