Options

Can I reduce the spiciness of my chilli?

Steady40Steady40 Posts: 2,095
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The lid came off, and too much chilli powder went in. I thought it'd be ok, but I couldn't eat much. Is there a way to reduce the spiciness, as I don't want to waste it?

I have mild chilli powder would that work?

Comments

• Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stir some natural yoghurt/crème fraiche in at the end of cooking.
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steady40 wrote: »
    The lid came off, and too much chilli powder went in. I thought it'd be ok, but I couldn't eat much. Is there a way to reduce the spiciness, as I don't want to waste it?

I have mild chilli powder would that work?
    Putting in even more chilli powder won't make it less spicy!

You could try the suggestion of adulterating it with some other ingredient. Or perhaps you could save it and use it as the basis of a larger quantity of chilli in the future (freeze it if that future is not near!). Just remember not to add any more chilli on your next attempt.
  • Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can serve it over something like a baked potato or rice. You could top it with something containing fat like shredded cheddar cheese and or sour cream. You could use it judiciously in a taco salad or nachos.

You could try adding a can or two of rinsed pinto beans or something similar if you haven't got beans in there already.

Or you can make even more chili using this as a base.

Good luck, OP!
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put a raw potato in it and cook some more - it should absorb some of the heat.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    If it's really too hot for you then even with yoghurt or diluting it probably won't help much.

I'd go for the using it as a base option for future dishes.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would add a tin of chopped tomatoes (maybe I would puree it with stick blender) and cook it down a bit, then maybe add a little water. So you will have a saucier chilli but the spices/chilli will be diluted a bit.
  • Options
    aggielaneaggielane Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Use vinegars, lemon juice, lime juice the acid cuts through the heat. Sugar does the same but be careful you dont want to over sweeten and spoil the flavour.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Just use large plates of it as punishment to your children when they're naughty. That's what Jamie Oliver does, and he's worth a million pounds!