soap taboos broken

Comments

• mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Australian soap 'Number 96' did many of these during its first year on air (1972).

Number 96 seems to have broken a lot of barriers in it's time:eek:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_96_(TV_series)
  • Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    I would say Family Affairs and the abuse of Chloe Costello

There was Mandy in Hollyoaks who was abused by her Father when she was a young child and some years later he raped her.
  • MelSingletonMelSingleton Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Family Affairs, Adrian Scott (played by Ariyon Bakare) who was Yasmin Matthews' (Ebony Thomas) boyfriend was raped in prison. After he got out of prison, he went for a HIV test, as did Luke in Hollyoaks and thankfully they were both negative not positive.

So, Luke Morgan (Gary Lucy) in Hollyoaks was first in 2000 with the male rape storyline, then Adrian Scott (Ariyon Bakare) in Family Affairs was second in 2001, then DC Mickey Webb (Chris Simmons) in The Bill was third in 2004.

EastEnder's Mark Fowler was the first HIV positive character before Malachy Fisher in Hollyoaks.

According to an article in Australian (gay) magazine 'Outrage', Australian drama series 'G.P.' did an episode focusing on male rape in 1993: "First episode in a series to deal with heterosexual male rape at a Stag/Buck's Night- An episode of GP, 'Exposed', with Peter Phelps, who won an Australian Film Industry (AFI) Best TV Actor for his work."

Article:
    Keith Howes. 'Gays of Our Lives', Outrage. Number 177, February 1998, pp38-49.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first gay kiss was between Colin and Barry in EastEnders in 1985/1986 and the first transexual storyline was in 1998 with Hayley Cropper in Corrie.

Colin and Barry's kiss was in 1987 and a peck on the forehead. Colin kissed Guido on the lips in January 1989.

Australian drama series 'G.P.' had a gay male kiss in 1990. Described as such in a magazine article I have: "The first kiss between two men in a post-Number 96 drama series: Jamie Jackson (as a dying man) and Graham Harvey, just once, in GP, 'Lovers'."

Article:
    Keith Howes. 'Gays of Our Lives', Outrage. Number 177, February 1998, pp38-49.

Graham Harvey went on to other soap roles, including 'E Street'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Ironic Australian soaps used to be taboo breakers, when today they are so conservative you're lucky to ever see a gay kiss.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kittykat30 wrote: »
    Ironic Australian soaps used to be taboo breakers, when today they are so conservative you're lucky to ever see a gay kiss.

Well 'Neighbours' and 'Home and Away' have had a number of same sex kisses in recent years. Drama series 'Dance Academy' has a regular gay male character and showed an on screen male to male kiss a year ago.

So Australian soaps used to be the taboo breakers, and are continuing to do those sorts of storylines.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    First bout of Necrophilia - Pat and Frank's affair in EE.

Lolololololol! To funny! :D:D:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Has there ever been a gay storyline on Home And Away?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Well 'Neighbours' and 'Home and Away' have had a number of same sex kisses in recent years. Drama series 'Dance Academy' has a regular gay male character and showed an on screen male to male kiss a year ago.

So Australian soaps used to be the taboo breakers, and are continuing to do those sorts of storylines.

Those kisses were short or meaningless. They don't have real couples for longterm.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Those kisses were short or meaningless. They don't have real couples for longterm.

Too right. They had lovely Lana a few years back, and made a big deal out of her coming out. Then, almost as soon as she got a full time GF, they packed her off to Canada!

They do seem to be giving Chris a bit more of a go though. His sexuality isn't the only plot he's allowed, although it still does come up now and then. It'll be interesting to see what happens when they have the guts to give him a boyfriend.
  • methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Has there ever been a gay storyline on Home And Away?

I don't think there has ever been a gay storyline in H&A. Someone told me that people in Oz don't like gay characters in their soaps. :(
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    methodyguy wrote: »
    I don't think there has ever been a gay storyline in H&A. Someone told me that people in Oz don't like gay characters in their soaps. :(

Wrong on the first point. Sadly right on the second.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s15/home-and-away/news/a151556/five-to-air-home-and-away-lesbian-kiss.html
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »

Oh right I wasn't aware of the sl thank you. :)
  • Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    The H and A gay storyline was so stupid anyway. Man-eater Charlie was the least convincing character they could have given it to and it has literally never been mentioned since. I'm actually glad the storyline was cut short because it didn't have any credibility to start with.
    Forum Member
    When you look at the many characters in H&A and not one of them is gay or at least sexually confused. Come on Reality Check Here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hang on, that article you link to says nothing about Australian soap audiences not liking gay / lesbians characters in their soaps. What it does say is that a clinch went to air in Australia, and that the same version of the episode will go to air in the UK. I mean, did you actually read the article?

'Dance Academy' has a gay male regular character, who had a same sex kiss a year ago. There were no complaints.

A few months ago a bedroom scene with Christian and Syed in 'EastEnders' drew 125 complaints in the UK. Hmmmm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well you said "you're lucky to ever see a gay kiss", so I was responding to that.
  • tq21tq21 Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you look at the many characters in H&A and not one of them is gay or at least sexually confused. Come on Reality Check Here.

yeah I thought for sure they would make Dex gay
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That 'someone' made a big generalisation and an offensive one at that. Some Australians do like soap characters who are gay, some don't while the majority of Aussies don't even watch soaps.

No, wrong on the second as well. 'People in Oz' don't have collective likes and dislikes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keeki wrote: »
    That 'someone' made a big generalisation and an offensive one at that. Some Australians do like soap characters who are gay, some don't while the majority of Aussies don't even watch soaps.

No, wrong on the second as well. 'People in Oz' don't have collective likes and dislikes.

Agree and agree.

Soaps aren't really very popular in Australia. There's one on Seven and one on a digital channel. 'Home and Away' isn't even Seven's most popular drama let alone most popular show. Why anyone should worry about what happens in these minor productions is anyone's guess.
  • RainRain Posts: 9,688
    Forum Member
    Hang on, that article you link to says nothing about Australian soap audiences not liking gay / lesbians characters in their soaps. What it does say is that a clinch went to air in Australia, and that the same version of the episode will go to air in the UK. I mean, did you actually read the article?

Catherine Deveny profiled Australia's hate of lesbians after Home and Away veiwers in their thousands objected to lesbians.
    Agree and agree.

Soaps aren't really very popular in Australia. There's one on Seven and one on a digital channel. 'Home and Away' isn't even Seven's most popular drama let alone most popular show. Why anyone should worry about what happens in these minor productions is anyone's guess.

Not the best voice for Australian TV.. Looking at the facts 22 Million live in AU... Drama's nearly always gain under 2 million viewers... H&A is often one to be the million mark...

Charlie's lebian plot generated high complaints in Aus... TWO HUNDRED THOUSAND tuned out of Home and Away while Charlie's lesbian storyline aired, Seven axed it, they returned to veiwing.

Neighbours is one of the highest viewed programmes on Digital... many don't recieve the channel it is one (Like back in the day no one could get channel 5 or special granada here)

They are some of the most reported on pop culture items in AU media
  • marius1marius1 Posts: 5,529
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Luke in Hollyoaks was 2000, Mickey in The Bill was 2003

and we botth agree chris played a blinder and the storyline simply worked. i still remember mickey telling jack. great storytelling
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rain wrote: »
    Catherine Deveny profiled Australia's hate of lesbians after Home and Away veiwers in their thousands objected to lesbians.

Not the best voice for Australian TV.. Looking at the facts 22 Million live in AU... Drama's nearly always gain under 2 million viewers... H&A is often one to be the million mark...

Charlie's lebian plot generated high complaints in Aus... TWO HUNDRED THOUSAND tuned out of Home and Away while Charlie's lesbian storyline aired, Seven axed it, they returned to veiwing.

Neighbours is one of the highest viewed programmes on Digital... many don't recieve the channel it is one (Like back in the day no one could get channel 5 or special granada here)

They are some of the most reported on pop culture items in AU media

There's no national hatred of lesbians. Catherine Deveny is a comedian who enjoys being provocative and has offended a lot of Australians with her comments. Her remarks about ANZAC Day veterans, Belinda Emmett and Bindi Irwin should have clued you in on what sort of person she is.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    marius1 wrote: »
    and we botth agree chris played a blinder and the storyline simply worked. i still remember mickey telling jack. great storytelling

Yeh that scene was heart-breaking. I still remember it too.
  • marius1marius1 Posts: 5,529
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Yeh that scene was heart-breaking. I still remember it too.

hey sez-brrring bring chris back to EE permanently i say. he can play the same character, or mickey, undercover to report on derek
    merry christmas sez