Question re appraisals

LadyMinervaLadyMinerva Posts: 755
Forum Member
✭✭
Has anyone received a poor and unwarranted comment in an appraisal and if so what did you to to challenge it and did the boss change the comment?

I don't wish to go into detail suffice to say the comment made is not provable and actually unfounded and indeed contradicts other comments in the appraisal.

It's as if the appraiser is looking for something to mar the appraisal which is otherwise good....and the worry is that this will directly impact on pay negotiations for the future with end of financial year coming up

Comments

• Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You will get a chance to add your comments on the appraisal papers (towards the end) which will be read by HR (and in turn your Boss' Boss).
  • LadyMinervaLadyMinerva Posts: 755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lou Kelly wrote: »
    You will get a chance to add your comments on the appraisal papers (towards the end) which will be read by HR (and in turn your Boss' Boss).

Thank you - do you not think I should address it with the boss first to give him a chance to rethink before I make my own formal comments.

Feels like a lose lose anyway as if I broach it that will no doubt annoy him and affect my potential pay rise and if I just add it to my comments, it will have the same affect!
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't worry about it. I don't think anyone of any importance ever reads that crap. It seems to mostly exist to keep the less competent employees away from real work to limit the damage they can do.
  • bossoftheworldbossoftheworld Posts: 4,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd definately bring it up with your boss before it's approved.

Something was once said about me at an appraisal which was unfair. I said to the boss that I'd have to have a think about it because I didn't think it was correct and he took it out.

Also - many years ago - I worked for someone who didn't like me at all. She had a report written up that she wanted me to sign which had a number of points on there that were just totally wrong. It was a really large organisation of over 2K people in it.

I refused to sign it and luckily for me I had to do a temporary assignment for another department soon after who sent a fantastic thank you letter commenting on my fantastic achievements while working there -- to her boss.

I was so glad I refused to sign it but there was a real atmosphere working for her after I returned. More on her part than mine.
  • ChawtonChawton Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    My husband told me his firm are deliberately downgrading appraisals to avoid having to pay out bonuses. Needless to say, he is not happy about that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone received a poor and unwarranted comment in an appraisal and if so what did you to to challenge it and did the boss change the comment?

I don't wish to go into detail suffice to say the comment made is not provable and actually unfounded and indeed contradicts other comments in the appraisal.

It's as if the appraiser is looking for something to mar the appraisal which is otherwise good....and the worry is that this will directly impact on pay negotiations for the future with end of financial year coming up

Was it written or verbal?

All the appraisals I have done are written and have to be signed by both me and the person being appraised.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on the company and how much weight appraisals carry (some places are just lip services, other make a difference towards pay). There should be some guidelines from HR about the process and what input is required from the employee.

I have a section on mine for employee comments and same as woodbush, employee and employer have to sign appraisals where I work, I could refuse to sign it for example.

Worst case is if you don't agree with what is written then take it to HR or your boss's boss