Resigning

LadyMinervaLadyMinerva Posts: 755
Forum Member
✭✭
I want to resign my job. I've been there about half a year, I enjoy it somewhat but it's part time and I have another, better, job too and although I thought I could cope with both, I can't and I'm getting stressed out.

Should I be stressed about resigning? I'm worried people will be catty about it. I dont like admitting defeat so I'm worried about doing it but think its right for me.

Has anyone any sound advice to make me feel like I'm doing the right thing please?

Comments

• Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact you are considering your employer's needs so highly says a lot about you as a person and an employee.

Stress is a real issue and should never be taken lightly, so consider yourself a bit more and let this second job go. If you explain with regret that you have to leave there is no reason for your boss or colleagues to think ill of you. Give them enough time to find a replacement, but don't let them dissuade you from your decision. Your health is worth more than a few bitchy remarks, that if made will underline the fact the decision was the right one.

EDIT: Just to add, it is not defeat to admit when something is too much. People who carry on trying to be strong when close to breaking point are the ones who break hardest. Don't be one of them.
  • red_g00nerred_g00ner Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rather than resigning, is it possible to sit down with your boss and explain how you feel? Perhaps a slightly different role is available or fewer hours.

Ultimately if you getting stressed out over doing both jobs, then this will not be good for you in the long run.
  • Sargeant80Sargeant80 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People leave their jobs all the time. Don't worry about it.

The only advice I have is to try and leave on good terms.
  • fainéantfainéant Posts: 2,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't sound like admitting defeat. You have carefully considered the situation and are prepared to make sacrifices to improve the situation. Sound a very positive move to me.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something like this will probably be well received...

Dear XXX

Please accept this letter as my formal notice of resignation.

This has been a very difficult decision for me as I have very much enjoyed working with you. I regret having to leave job I very much enjoy and the people I have work with, all of whom are professional and very supportive. However, continuing the job creates a problematic work/home life balance.

Thank you for allowing me to have the opportunity to work with you and I am grateful for the valuable experience I have gained.

...and the bit about professional and supportive colleagues will probably get back to them!
  • LadyMinervaLadyMinerva Posts: 755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks all...it's not completely out of the blue. I've considered in my own mind the options of workloads, changing hours etc, but ultimately I don't think that will work....I'm going to bite the bullet, but do it as nicely as I can.

Thanks for the advice