EE ends Orange Wednesday

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Will apparently end "early next year"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ee-cancels-orange-wednesdays-internet-4792485

Many a cheap day out at the cinema will be lost :(

Comments

• laurence1870laurence1870 Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    Still an extremely popular offer. Very surprised they're stopping it. Wonder what the real reason is.
  • seelleeseellee Posts: 10,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good! I used to avoid Wednesday's like the plague when it's probably one of the most convenient days to go for me. Dare I say it, it also used to attract a certain type of crowd too!
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    Someone will step in and occupy that segment, the offer was a boon for cinemas during the quieter mid week times. Sadly it looks to be ending, they claim they are working on something equally as good.

I have a feeling O2 or Vodafone will come up with something (admittedly O2 has priority with discounted cinema tickets anyway)
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand how this makes logical sense, from a business perspective. I reckon EE will lose a lot of customers due to this.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stops at the end of February next year. Not really bothered about it myself but i'm sure a lot of others will care.
  • Sam_Williams1Sam_Williams1 Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    Much rather pay online and pick tickets up at the machine. The allocated seating is the best thing Cineworld have done. Can't be doing with all the dullards.
    At least we won't have to put up with those stupid Orange and ee adverts.
  • TexAveryWolfTexAveryWolf Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Much rather pay online and pick tickets up at the machine. The allocated seating is the best thing Cineworld have done. Can't be doing with all the dullards.
    At least we won't have to put up with those stupid Orange and ee adverts."

Do they have a dullard/non-dullard algorithm?

And like the rest of cinema advertising isn't stupid/annoying.

Orange Weds was a win/win for cinemas and the network.

I'm certainly considering migrating.

(contracts, not country.That would be the action of a dullard)
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    I don't understand how this makes logical sense, from a business perspective. I reckon EE will lose a lot of customers due to this.

BBC say EE couldn't couldn't strike a deal with the cinema chains to keep it going.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    BBC say EE couldn't couldn't strike a deal with the cinema chains to keep it going.

If thats the case, they should have said something along those lines in their statement, because obviously people are venting their fury at them about this, when, if this is correct, then it's probabl not their fauly really.

Not that I have ever once done Orange Wednesday. I'm more of a cheap Tuesday kind of gal ;)
  • D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another nail in the EE coffin.

After their appalling signal.
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EE are currently one of two mobile networks that BT are looking to purchase,so you never know the new regime may want to keep what is still a very popular offer,saying that i dont buy the whole couldn't agree a price with the cinema's story as without Orange Wednesday the cinemas would be half empty midweek,seems a lot like cutting their nose off to spite their face
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye Up wrote: »
    Someone will step in and occupy that segment, the offer was a boon for cinemas during the quieter mid week times. Sadly it looks to be ending, they claim they are working on something equally as good.

I have a feeling O2 or Vodafone will come up with something (admittedly O2 has priority with discounted cinema tickets anyway)

I think Compare the Market is interested although not sure how it could work with them. O2 IMO would seem the most likely since they already have discounted cinema tickets and they could simply replace the discounted tickets with 2 for 1.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose all good things. Once EE brought out Orange I wondered whether they would make changes to the supplementary services that Orange used to do. These things happen when companies get brought out.
  • bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    That's me moving when my contract comes to an end. Bye EE and good riddance!
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cinema's need all the help they can get, bizarre..
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    Cinema's need all the help they can get, bizarre..

Cinemas aren't the ones setting ticket prices though; you can't show a film in public without the copyright holders permission and as such it is effectively the studios who dictate prices to the chains.
  • ZapomaticZapomatic Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will it really make all that much difference? Cineworld already do Bargain Tuesdays which is almost half price eg. a typical London Cineworld charges £5.90 on a Tuesday versus £10.13 any other day.
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zapomatic wrote: »
    Will it really make all that much difference? Cineworld already do Bargain Tuesdays which is almost half price eg. a typical London Cineworld charges £5.90 on a Tuesday versus £10.13 any other day.

will do to Cineworld Unlimited Cardholders,for instance last week i took my son to see Paddington,cost me 75p(50p booking fee and 25p for the mobile ticketcode reminder) then the 35p cost of the Orange Wednesday code
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,889
    Forum Member
    That's me moving when my contract comes to an end. Bye EE and good riddance!

When I rang them for a grumble they told me I could leave as I hadn't any contractual obligations, nice to know I'm such a valued customer :p
  • Steve AWOLSteve AWOL Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zapomatic wrote: »

I've tended to visit the cinema on Wednesdays over the past decade but I see that all the multiplexes in my neck of the woods offer discounted ticket prices on Tuesdays, of between 33-50%. So at least my trips to the cinema will only go up in price by about a quid from next March, which ain't too bad.

http://www.odeon.co.uk/bargain-tuesday/

http://www.cineworld.co.uk/bargain-tuesdays

http://www.myvue.com/supertuesday

http://www.empirecinemas.co.uk/news/n152

http://www.showcasecinemas.co.uk/join
  • ZapomaticZapomatic Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    will do to Cineworld Unlimited Cardholders,for instance last week i took my son to see Paddington,cost me 75p(50p booking fee and 25p for the mobile ticketcode reminder) then the 35p cost of the Orange Wednesday code

That's true, and does devalue the Unlimited card a bit.
  • Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame, i'd imagine it will impact on the independent cinemas more than the likes of Cineworld.

Hopefully another provider will step in and offer similar deal.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well there's talk BT will buy EE so maybe they can contuine the offer?

The thing is they said cinema isn't popular anymore

http://m.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a616063/no-more-orange-wednesdays-ee-2-for-1-cinema-ticket-offer-ending.html#~oZB40gSdwmqGV9

To say viewing habbits have changed is crazy. Look how much the last Skyfall film
    Made:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films_in_the_United_Kingdom

Some major releases in 2015 like Terminator 5 too.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Compare The Market is reviving and bringing back Orange Wednesdays under the new banner of Meerkat Movies.

Starts 3rd April and you'll be now be able to get 2-for-1 cinema tickets every Tuesday or Wednesday for a year BUT only when you buy a qualifying product from the comparethemarket website and tickets will be redeemable through a code via a Meerkat Movies app.

Confusing much? What a load of nonsense!

As for EE well since they've buggered off they're replacing Orange Wednesdays with £1 Film Club, a new online movie rental scheme, where they're offering you to see blockbuster movies for only £1 (not incl. additional 35p redemption text charge) via Wuaki.tv (who/what/why?!).

No thanks.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anyone is on disability benefits, they are able to get a card that entitles them for a "buy one get one free", if they get any of the following benefits

Disability Living Allowance (DLA);
    Attendance Allowance (AA);
    Blind Persons Registration;
    Personal Independence Payment (PIP); and
    Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP).

It only costs £6 for the year and most cinemas support it.

CEA Card