Toy Collectors

2»

Comments

• Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Thanks all :)

Regarding boxes, I always try to buy toys boxed if I can, I like them to look just as they did when sold. of course most dolls and expecially their outfits, do not come with a box. we all enjoyed playing with them so much.

I also love buying 60s and 70s dolls and restoring them, I give them new hair, new paint and new fingers even, it is very satisfying :)

I restore Dinky and Corgi cars, fantastic hobby.
  • TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all :)

Regarding boxes, I always try to buy toys boxed if I can, I like them to look just as they did when sold. of course most dolls and expecially their outfits, do not come with a box. we all enjoyed playing with them so much.

I also love buying 60s and 70s dolls and restoring them, I give them new hair, new paint and new fingers even, it is very satisfying :)

I'm sorry , I'm now picturing you sat in a dark basement with dismembered dolls heads everywhere and you sat hunched over a desk lit only by a single lamp saying "welcome to my hospital ...I'll be with you in a moment"
    :D:D:D
    Course you could be perfectly normal hehe
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crimsonmon wrote: »
    Combination of it ensuring that what's inside is perfect (Providing it's sealed), and the fact that for older toys most boxes didn't survive, giving the ones that did more value. There's also the nostalgia factor.

There's also people who even with collecting current toys keep and display them never opened, but I really don't get that. (I have heard people say they want their collection to look like a toy shop before)

Toys in a box which can never be played with. :(
  • FrankieThePandaFrankieThePanda Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a few marvel legends and selects, all from spiderman and xmen, also have a few rare funko pops and lego minifiguers. I'd love to collect more but money is a issue, I'd kill to have a marvel hot toys collection they are pieces of art!
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I figured out recently that I think I have more or less every possible tv and film related vehicle/craft/plane/helicopter etc...at least those that I actually want.

This was my latest acquisition...a recent 1:18 diecast release of the 1969 dodge charger from the movie Dirty Mary Crazy Larry. This one ticks two of my boxes - an iconic movie car and a cool American muscle car...

http://www.supercar1.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7059
  • Matt_MaherMatt_Maher Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I collect horror toys when I can.
    In my living room I have a display cupboard with some of them - Chucky, Freddy Krueger, Regan from The Exorcist, Leatherface etc.
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Collecting brings about some strange situatiins.

I know of one chap who found a bottle of whisky in a cupboard. It was one he'd bought ages ago, and decided that instead of letting it sit there doing nothing, he'd have a drink from it from time to time, sometimes even using it to liven up a cup of tea.

A little later, he discovered that it dated back to the 50s/60s (I forget which) and that collectors would pay several hundred pounds for an undamaged and unopened bottle.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    I restore Dinky and Corgi cars, fantastic hobby.

Great! I love to hear about fellow restorers :)
    Forum Member
    TeganRhan wrote: »
    I'm sorry , I'm now picturing you sat in a dark basement with dismembered dolls heads everywhere and you sat hunched over a desk lit only by a single lamp saying "welcome to my hospital ...I'll be with you in a moment"
    :D:D:D
    Course you could be perfectly normal hehe

Well you aren't far from the truth, except I don't have a basement,lol but my home is full of dolls in various states of repair, a cabinet full of completed ones, and in almost every room, piles of dolls waiting patiently.

I have been experimenting this week on fingers, how to restore severed ones !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well you aren't far from the truth, except I don't have a basement,lol but my home is full of dolls in various states of repair, a cabinet full of competed ones, and in almost every room, piles of dolls waiting patiently.

I have been experimenting this week on fingers, how to restore severed ones !

Hmm, tricky one, what have you tried so far. I also make props, so have some experience in making moulds etc. Possibly a piece of wire drills into the stump followed by multiple dips into liquid latex, letting it dry in between dips, or possibly creating a mould of the hand, imprinting a new finger and making a new hand to take the finger from with resin?

I love this sort of problem solving. :D
    Forum Member
    Hmm, tricky one, what have you tried so far. I also make props, so have some experience in making moulds etc. Possibly a piece of wire drills into the stump followed by multiple dips into liquid latex, letting it dry in between dips, or possibly creating a mould of the hand, imprinting a new finger and making a new hand to take the finger from with resin?

I love this sort of problem solving. :D

I used pins pushed down into the stump, then clipped them to a sensible length, I have tried polymer, not ideal I know, but you can get the detail into it, fingernails and such, I have some sugru to try and also some plastic beads that you can melt in hot water and mould into shape. I am also going to try to make a mould of a perfect hand and was thinking about silicone, the kind that is used in making reborn dolls, the possibilites are endless :) Also you can make cheap moulds with ordinary household silicone mixed with baking powder.

They are only for my personal pleasure and not for resale, so I don't mind f they are a bit fragile.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used pins pushed down into the stump, then clipped them to a sensible length, I have tried polymer, not ideal I know, but you can get the detail into it, fingernails and such, I have some sugru to try and also some plastic beads that you can melt in hot water and mould into shape. I am also going to try to make a mould of a perfect hand and was thinking about silicone, the kind that is used in making reborn dolls, the possibilites are endless :) Also you can make cheap moulds with ordinary household silicone mixed with baking powder.

They are only for my personal pleasure and not for resale, so I don't mind f they are a bit fragile.

You can really lose yourself in restoration cant you. My garage is a workshop, got all my tools set out in front of me, got my spray box, oven, dremel. On with radio two, sit down at 6pm and before you know it its 10pm:D
    Forum Member
    You can really lose yourself in restoration cant you. My garage is a workshop, got all my tools set out in front of me, got my spray box, oven, dremel. On with radio two, sit down at 6pm and before you know it its 10pm:D

Sounds like bliss! I usually have everything spread all over the dining room table, I have a little shed but its FREEZING in there this time of year.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have loads of action figures from the likes of Macfarlane on our shelves amongst "Enchantica" dragons and stuff on our shelves. I just throw the boxes away, not interested in buying them from a value point of view, more a decorative point of view. If their value is decimated, tough, our neices will just have to suck it up, they're getting the house between them when we die anyway.